• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob b

c@r collecting
    went to black water falls over the weekend and drove around to some other spots
    great time was had with the family

any of you guys frequent the area

Attachments

• black water falls.jpg
      black water falls.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 458
    • wv.jpg
      wv.jpg
      127.7 KB · Views: 459

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    When I lived in Maryland I was in the Allegheny Highlands every chance I got. Dolly Sods, Roaring Plains, Canaan, Seneca Rock, Blackwater Falls, etc. I love that area.

1163611_orig.jpg

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep if you like the outdoors, blackwater & canaan have a ton of it! wifey and i have been coming out here for some 25+ years, did lots of camping, then some motels then finally bought our own place.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've neem n and around the area off and on for many years. Might be time to pull the camper to Blackwater Falls gain since it's been 5 or 6 years.

Also, check out Spruce Knob and Seneca Rocks areas

Seneca_Rocks_-_front_1.jpg

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I live about 40 minutes away from BWFs and we have a large chunk of property that is on the shoulder of Mt. Porte Crayon and backs up to the Roaring Plains Wilderness, which is adjacent to Dolly Sods. That is all my stomping grounds.

You have only seen a small fraction of what is in this area to see. It is worthy of multiple visits. Depends on what you are into, I can give you bunches of recommendations on where to go.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    It's the tanin from woods decay in the water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The tannins are from the Red Spruce and Hemlock that are abundant along the Black Water River.

I took some relatives up to BWFs this past spring and we watched a doe get washed over the falls. It was surreal to see.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I live about 40 minutes away from BWFs and we have a large chunk of property that is on the shoulder of Mt. Porte Crayon and backs up to the Roaring Plains Wilderness, which is adjacent to Dolly Sods. That is all my stomping grounds.

You have only seen a small fraction of what is in this area to see. It is worthy of multiple visits. Depends on what you are into, I can give you bunches of recommendations on where to go.

I've been to the summit of Mount Porte Crayon. That was a very difficult bushwhack. I think the last quarter mile, through that wall of red spruce, took us an hour. I couldn't see my wife just a few feet away from me in all that spruce.

Here's the trip report for that hike from our old hiking website:
    http://www.wehikedit.com/62511-mount-porte-crayon-summit-roaring-plains-mnf-wv.html

7610113.jpg

6875686.jpg

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    When Mountain biking, park at the Stop'n Save Express and head east across the bridge over the creek. The trail head will be on you left. I have a map somewhere. Be prepared for terrain you will not find here.

As for pretty?

IMG_1082_1-M.jpg

IMG_0944_1-M.jpg

IMG_8993-M.jpg

IMG_8883-M.jpg

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods are all in my backyard. Been to these places many times.

Besides directly visiting hose areas, I have also day tripped there from Deep Creek Lake State Park when camping there.1 to 2 hours will get you to to very beautiful areas of WV (and Garrett County has it's own beauty as well!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom