• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamdachampion

Oct 28, 2019
    Hello All,

I am familiar with operating firearms but know very little about maintenance and storage. I am a first generation gun guy, so I have no "elders" to learn from. I built an AR15 from scratch years ago and it went terribly and is now rusty because it was poorly kept (all VERY cheap parts so no real loss).

I want to take the time to learn how to properly do these things, and while I know the internet is a great place for resources, I do not like doing research on the internet and prefer paper copy books.

Are there any recommendations on literature on the basics of the AR platform involving cleaning, maintaining and storing? Most of the book I end up seeing in my searches focus on building the rifle.

Thanks in Advance All!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    School of the American Rifle. SOTAR for short. Follow their posts here the Book of Faces and the Instant Graham cracker place.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    School of the American Rifle. SOTAR for short. Follow their posts here the Book of Faces and the Instant Graham cracker place.

THIS. Look up SOTAR, better yet take a SOTAR armorers course. It will give you unmatched in-depth knowledge of the proper operation, lubrication, maintenance, and gauging of the AR15 platform.
    There’s nobody around who’s better than Chad on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    ^^^ +1

I have a number of Sweeney's books. He gives a good general breakdown of each gun he covers. Not the end-all of information, but a good strating point.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Hello All,

I am familiar with operating firearms but know very little about maintenance and storage. I am a first generation gun guy, so I have no "elders" to learn from. I built an AR15 from scratch years ago and it went terribly and is now rusty because it was poorly kept (all VERY cheap parts so no real loss).

I want to take the time to learn how to properly do these things, and while I know the internet is a great place for resources, I do not like doing research on the internet and prefer paper copy books.

Are there any recommendations on literature on the basics of the AR platform involving cleaning, maintaining and storing? Most of the book I end up seeing in my searches focus on building the rifle.

Thanks in Advance All!

depending how bad the rust is and what the parts are it could be salvaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom