• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Go for it. Maybe try and dog him down a little bit.......

Offer $500 and see if you get the stink eye.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Go for it. Maybe try and dog him down a little bit.......

Offer $500 and see if you get the stink eye.

Ha ha ha. I bought it and at the asking price. I looked at it this way. He is a brick and mortar gun store. He has to make his rent, pay his elec, security and insurance. He has to pay for his inventory unless consignment. He Was asking a fair price, i have been fortunate and frankly, want to see gun stores survive. If he is able to buy it at a good deal, either the price reflects this, or if the price is still fair, he’s entitled to the extra profit due to his acumen or good fortune. If the asking price is not fair i will either move on or make an offer. If fair, i will pay it. And it does not hurt to establish a relationship with someone who will keep an eye out for my wants or call me when he gets something he thinks i will like.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ha ha ha. I bought it and at the asking price. I looked at it this way. He is a brick and mortar gun store. He has to make his rent, pay his elec, security and insurance. He has to pay for his inventory unless consignment. He Was asking a fair price, i have been fortunate and frankly, want to see gun stores survive. If he is able to buy it at a good deal, either the price reflects this, or if the price is still fair, he’s entitled to the extra profit due to his acumen or good fortune. If the asking price is not fair i will either move on or make an offer. If fair, i will pay it. And it does not hurt to establish a relationship with someone who will keep an eye out for my wants or call me when he gets something he thinks i will like.

You sir win 10 internet applauses!

Your points are entirely valid. And you may have just hit upon the reason why you now have that Smith, and maybe the next one that comes along as well, instead of somebody else.

That revolver looked to be in great shape. If it is as tight as it looked that it might be, had you not bought it, no doubt somebody else would have.

Enjoy your revolver. Looks like you found yourself a nice one!

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Went to pick up this mod 19 at dealer. He puts on the counter a nickel plate mod 36 flat latch he just picked up in a batch. I say how much. He responds $400. Its dirty, but not a scratch. Louis, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Can anybody tell what a reasonable price on real nice 1970's snub nose chambered in 38 it was a model 10-2 or 12-2

Also, what about a similar airweight J frame with a 4 in barrel.

All these are pretty much safe queens, no box.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In equal condition a Model 12 will have more market value than a Model 10. Aluminum frame...lower production...a lot going for it. I'm basically a Colt guy when it comes to collecting but I will admit the S&W K-frame is just about the best, most perfect balance of capability...design...reliability...cost-effectiveness...heritage...you name it. One reason why their values are not higher than they are is due to millions of them out there.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Ok, so I picked up a beautiful old S&W model 36, a true safe queen, probably shot less than 20 rounds. I think it may end up as my wife's carry gun. Also picked up a good condition S&W model 10-5 with just some carry wear to use as a shooter.

I may have paid too much, $750 for the 36 and $400 for the model 10. How did I do?

We'll see how they shoot after a trip to the range.

Rob.

0063f3cb0d9393abadcb8a3c112f757d.jpg

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do they make J-frames with 4" barrels? The ones with 3" barrels are really nice.

Used to be mid-500 for a clean example.

Run a search on GB for sold examples to see the current market value.

Edit: a search for M36 & M37 showed many sold in the 450-600 range, including examples with the 3" barrels.
    I recall picking mine up several years ago in the mid 500s.

Revolvers don't get the respect they deserve, IMO. That may make for some bargains.

I still see M10 running between 3-400. I like the heavy barrel ones. Condition is everything, of course. I just picked up a Browning 1910 that seems almost unused. The problem was a bit of pitting along the top edges of the slide, probably fro being stored in a holster. Rest of the finish was showroom-fresh. Price was great, and I don't have to sweat the Safe Queen issue; it will be a great shooter, with no need to cringe about using it as it deserves.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Like your revolvers. If you paid too much for the j frame, the market will probably catch up. I have a 80s sq butt and a late 50s nickel. I like the nickel for its nostalgia and Will carry it from time to time. With the original rd butt wood grips it disappears under an untucked shirt in a de santis mini speed scabbard holster.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I've seen the more modern revolvers, but they just leave me flat. I touch a 50 year old revolver with beautiful blueing and georgous original walnut grips, the care and craftmanship that went into its creation and I just fall in love.

Rob.

• A Smart Man knows what he knows,
    • A Wise Man knows what he doesn't know,
    • A Fool knows neither.
    • If the government fears the people, there is freedom.
    • If the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    • The purpose of the 2nd amendment is not hunting, not sport, not self defense, but freedom from tyranny.
    Second Amendment Foundation -- Maryland Shall Issue -- NRA Life Member

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's what nice M10 go for these days . The M36 was high , unless there was smothing particularly rare subvariant .

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    That's what nice M10 go for these days . The M36 was high , unless there was smothing particularly rare subvariant .
    I kinda figured the Model 36 was a little high. My wife saw it, got excited, and couldn't wait to get it to the range. She's never been into guns, so her reaction was worth the premium price.

Rob

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I dig the blue and wood (have a 586), but OTOH I just purchased a 686 lol. Easier to clean.
    Collect the whole set!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom