• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I mix it with the initial grind, then grind the mix once more.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have heard others say you have to add fat or bread crumbs to ground venison to keep burgers from falling apart,.I only add spices and sometimes some kind of liquid sauce(BBQ,Worcershire,Hot sauce,etc) and I never have any problems. I only put the meat through the grinder one time.I wonder if grinding twice is the cause of burgers falling apart? If you flip them too soon....that can cause it too.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have heard others say you have to add fat or bread crumbs to ground venison to keep burgers from falling apart,.I only add spices and sometimes some kind of liquid sauce(BBQ,Worcershire,Hot sauce,etc) and I never have any problems. I only put the meat through the grinder one time.I wonder if grinding twice is the cause of burgers falling apart? If you flip them too soon....that can cause it too.

I dunno we dont have a problem, I coarse grind, then finer grind. No fat added. Burgers hold together well.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I like to add one pound of beef fat to ten pounds of deer meat. Now, you add more to taste or if the deer is really lean. I buy 20 pounds of beef fat ($7-9) every season just in case.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    hi , sort of on topic , what grinder did you get ? looking to do the same , like that you say it's easy to clean . thanks , dan

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Any other jerky makers here. I had beef talo added to my Axis doe meat and its too oily for me. I have to wipe it off.
    My last doe, they did not add anything and it works out fine.
    I don't have a smoker, I have a dehydrater and I bake for 5-10 minutes at the end. Been doing it this way last 2 years.

However, when browning the meat for chili, tacos or my casserole, the talo seems to help.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I've been giving a friend deer steaks for awhile now and they never have said they taste any "gaminess". I don't taste any bad taste either so it isn't just me.

Another question: how do you guys cook your deer burgers? Grill, pan fry etc?

From what I have see Eastern Shore deer tend towards less perceived gaminess than Western Maryland.
    More corn in the diet maybe?
    I'm not basing this on a large sample, for all I know it could have been cooking styles

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    From what I have see Eastern Shore deer tend towards less perceived gaminess than Western Maryland.
    More corn in the diet maybe?
    I'm not basing this on a large sample, for all I know it could have been cooking styles

The few deer I took or helped field dress out in Wicomico had Corn, acorn, these dark colored berries and grass in the bellies. Just like fish, I like to see what is in the belly of the harvest to learn what they are eating at the time.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't take mine to the butcher any longer, it's easier and cheaper to just do it myself. Once you go through the learning curve you get pretty efficient and it took longer to drive back and forth to the butcher than to skin, quarter, and butcher.....not to mention the price started to creep up there once you started doing more than a couple of deer.

After I started doing all of them myself I would go to the butcher in Bryan's Road in order to try and buy pork fat trimmings to add to whatever I was grinding. They said that the pigs these days were so lean they never had any left over and told me to go to Food Lion and buy the Food Lion brand sausage, it's 80% pork fat and was only something like $1 a lb. Since venison has such a low fat content when I grind trimmings I do 80/20 or 85/15......most of which get's used in spaghetti sauce or dim-sum dumplings.

I've found that by default some deer taste gamey and some don't, seems to depend on a number of different things (age, diet, time of year, temp, yada, yada, yada). My wife had gotten into the habit (depending on what she is making) of soaking in some salt water to remove all blood and then boiling and skimming the surface of the pot before she does whatever with it.....that eliminates any chance of gaminess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom