• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Finally got most of the remaining parts together and did a little live test.

https://youtu.be/fDxUEo0jybw

The slowest speed is about 800 SFPM and the fastest is 5100 SFPM. I have not tested it out under load yet but the motor is 1.5HP so I should have ample power for my needs.

Also looking at the AC control VFD motors and drives they seem relatively expensive. The treadmill motor is permanent DC magnet rated at 5700 rpm. The speed controller has some sort of slow start circuitry built in. It’s already wired for a safety stop as most treadmills have some sort of key pull.

The motor is also has a thermal shutoff.

What is interesting that I’ve seen tons of old working treadmills at yard sales and on Craig’s list for $200 or less and even $25. Those motors and drive circuits can be very useful for DIY projects.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well I got my knife back from Texas Knifemakers Supply hardened and cryo treated and started doing the finishing grind. I made a carrier sled to hold the blade parallel to the belt platen and then adjusted the belt to a 2° angle. Then took the blade from 40grit down to 600 and lastly a leather belt polish. It probably took me about 3 hours of grinding for each side, but it’s almost perfectly flat and consistent. Now I need to figure out how to make a fixture to cut a 12deg bevel for the edge than I’ll sharpen the edge on stones by hand. I’m hoping to make the handle later this weekend work schedule permitting.

https://youtu.be/bkh6DI2pEQo

Now I need to start thinking about the next design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’m finally getting around to finishing the chefs knife that I’m planning on giving to my son for Christmas. The scales are Wenge.

684dd99b1bb1f784629fc77776d81c6c.jpg

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Very cool. I am getting started on knife making myself! My first so far is this paring knife. AEB-L @ 61 Rockwell, ground with an angle grinder and hand sanding. About 7" oal, 1/8" brass pins, and mystery wood stake from my shed left by the previous owner. It is at least 12 yr aged, and I think it is red oak. Recently sharpened it and still wet sanding and treating the handle with Danish oil.

vxCJDTY.jpg

MSicuLs.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Very cool. I am getting started on knife making myself! My first so far is this paring knife. AEB-L @ 61 Rockwell, ground with an angle grinder and hand sanding. About 7" oal, 1/8" brass pins, and mystery wood stake from my shed left by the previous owner. It is at least 12 yr aged, and I think it is red oak. Recently sharpened it and still wet sanding and treating the handle with Danish oil.

vxCJDTY.jpg

MSicuLs.jpg

I think it’s pretty cool to take some mystery wood and se what happens. It’s got a nice grain. Before I made the 2x72 I had a harbor freight coupon and got a 1x36” belt/disk sander for about $35 IIRC. You can do a lot of shaping with a 1x36.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom