• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I wonder if Thomas is taking tips from Henderson in the DC Circuit and will weasel his way onto every 2A panel.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would not put it past him to do just that. Will be very interesting when Trump appoints a couple of very friendly 2A justices to SCOTUS and see what they do then. Wonder if Thomas or Henderson will blow a fuse or 3 if SCOTUS starts to overturn their anti 2A rulings.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I would not put it past him to do just that. Will be very interesting when Trump appoints a couple of very friendly 2A justices to SCOTUS and see what they do then. Wonder if Thomas or Henderson will blow a fuse or 3 if SCOTUS starts to overturn their anti 2A rulings.

While the SC vacancy gets much of the public attention, keep in mind that very, very few cases ever get cert. The more important, but much less visible, appointments will be at the appellate levels. That's where most of the relevant cases actually get decided and the real change will be made.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    While the SC vacancy gets much of the public attention, keep in mind that very, very few cases ever get cert. The more important, but much less visible, appointments will be at the appellate levels. That's where most of the relevant cases actually get decided and the real change will be made.

Word...District and Circuit appointments will have much greater impact...

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    I'm wondering what the possibilities are for replacements on the Ninth Circus and if Trump will be able to have an impact there ?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Federal judges serve "during good behavior" per COTUS ..AKA lifetime appointments

Good luck

Attachments

• judges.jpg
      judges.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 637

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Federal judges serve "during good behavior" per COTUS ..AKA lifetime appointments

Good luck

I was actually thinking retirements and potential vacancies rather than kicking them out (although I wouldn't turn my nose up at that if it happened)

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I know you didn't ask me, but as an attorney, this is the first time I've ever seen an appellant in a brief outright accuse the lower court of bad faith. It's a long overdue development, in my opinion.

I noticed that myself. While I appreciate the gumption, my issue with it is that the Supreme Court is not there to error correct a pattern of conduct. It is there to rule on the instant case. So I don't know how relevant it is that the Ninth Circuit did x in a separate case.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    If it is not the Supreme Court's role to correct a pattern of judicial infidelity to Supreme Court precedent on the part of the lower courts, then to what entity does that duty belong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    If it is not the Supreme Court's role to correct a pattern of judicial infidelity to Supreme Court precedent on the part of the lower courts, then to what entity does that duty belong?

The President and Congress by replacing the Circuit judges.

The Supreme Court's role is to deal with the matter in front of them. Which could mean granting cert every time a circuit screws up but that is neither here nor there.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    The President and Congress by replacing the Circuit judges.

The Supreme Court's role is to deal with the matter in front of them. Which could mean granting cert every time a circuit screws up but that is neither here nor there.

So let me get this straight. The Supreme Court's role is NOT to reverse lower court cases that conflict with Supreme Court precedent???

Because that is precisely what it means for the Court to address infidelity to its precedents. It doesn't have any other mechanism available to it.

To say that it doesn't have that duty is tantamount to saying that it has no duty at all. It is also tantamount to saying that Supreme Court precedent is optional (i.e, "persuasive, not binding") to the lower courts.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    So let me get this straight. The Supreme Court's role is NOT to reverse lower court cases that conflict with Supreme Court precedent???

Because that is precisely what it means for the Court to address infidelity to its precedents. It doesn't have any other mechanism available to it.

To say that it doesn't have that duty is tantamount to saying that it has no duty at all. It is also tantamount to saying that Supreme Court precedent is optional (i.e, "persuasive, not binding") to the lower courts.

That is not what I said or meant. I said the Court should only look to the case directly in front of it. But you know what. I am going to give this one to you KC because if I don't this will drag out for several pages and it is far to hot in SD for that today.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    That is not what I said or meant. I said the Court should only look to the case directly in front of it. But you know what. I am going to give this one to you KC because if I don't this will drag out for several pages and it is far to hot in SD for that today.

Ah. I agree the Court should look only at the case in front of it. But to do that, it has to grant cert. I assert that the Court has an implicit duty to grant cert to cases where the lower court has contradicted Supreme Court precedent, precisely because it has a duty as the final judicial authority to ensure that the lower courts do their jobs properly.

We may be saying roughly the same thing in different ways.

Regardless, I agree 100% with you on the heat! It's 115 degrees here today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom