• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I would try H4350 first. I'm confident you can find an accurate load with that powder. Rate of twist will determine what bullet weights to use. I would think that loads would be fairly close to those used in the .25-06. As always, start at the lower end of published loads and work up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4350 would be too fast for that. 4831 would be better starting point.

As I noted above , use data .240Wby or 6mm-284 .

Quick checking Nosler's site did turn up data for 4350 , but you will be giving up 175-275fps compared to 4831 & slower.

With 95-100gr bullets , start 43.0 with 4350.

But powders to look for on purpose include 7828, H1000, and RL22 . (RL19 will give vels similar to 4831 .

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I honestly hadn't thought of a uae other than pucnching paper out past 600. My 308's give me great results out that far. The limitation is most likely caused by my lack of long range practice.

Guess it's time to start a new thread and see who would be willing to help me work up safe loads in 6mm-06 that get this kind of result.

Just what I need another project.:rolleyes:

I'm near Baltimore, but make it down to Mechanicsville regularly. If you want to pull down a few rounds and measure the components I would be happy to help. We can measure the projectile for both weight and dimensions. Also measure the powder for weight and take some up close pictures of the powder and figure out what you have. Based on the era of the rifle it should be pretty easy to narrow down the powder.

Then you can back off 5% and work up a load ladder. If after that it still isn't quite the same, you can tweak the primer choice and try different bullets to match the original load performance.

There is no sense starting from scratch when you are dialed in like that. Reverse engineer the load and work from there. If it happens to be an obsolete powder then at least you have a record of what it likes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmmm, unless this was pre-1986, it could have been sold through an MD FFL. Or a PA one, or VA, or WV, or ....

I agree with those who say to figure out how to load for it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hahaha do you know of a spot? I need a jug or 2

Depending on how much you need, if I can't do it myself - I can put you on to a few honey holes I've had luck with.

I may even have a pound or so in the powder locker. The better question is who has the time to work up the load.

There in is the rub. I do have my weekends/holidays off, it's just a PITA to try and do load development at MG on a weekend.

Pulling a round apart would at least give a solid idea of where to begin.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    With the 6mm-06, think 1000y or more. I would consider it a good thing to try LRC shooting with, using bullets from the 6mm BR, 6mm Creedmoor, or 6mm-284. Has to be data out there for that.

Barrel twist is going to be very important for long range shooting. Knowing what is is an using the appropriate weight bullets.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom