• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Want to on target this evening to shoot my pocket rocket Glock and actually had a pleasant experience. Easy check in with a friendly staff member and after I was done shooting i had a easy checkout with another friendly face.

Before leaving I was just checking out some guns on display and one of these friendly staff members asked if I would like to see anything in the cases. In which I said yes. Without a issue I was handed anything I wanted to hold but without the magazine. I asked if I could hold the magazine on which I was told no. I asked why and was told I could hold it but not rack the slide to the closed position. I guess this makes sense for some reason but it’s not that big of a deal. The same employee mentioned something about a AR chambered in 9mm. So we went and checked them out on the other side of the store. Staff was knowledgeable and nice. I stayed about 30-45 mins after shooting to see how they interacted with other customers and the mood seemed to be light hearted from the normal attitude I’ve seen in this shop.

They are very careful with things because several people have committed suicide on the range over the past few years. Rules get a little tighter each time it happens.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    People can kill themselves in the show room just as easy as on the range, unless you find someway to prevent it.

Easier ways to do it if you want to do it there. Just saying. But I see what you mean. I’ve just never experienced that at gun shop. Overall was a pleasant experience.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I️ was member there for a year or so. Always kept one mag loaded and ready just in case someone went crazy. Keep your head on a swivel.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I️ was member there for a year or so. Always kept one mag loaded and ready just in case someone went crazy. Keep your head on a swivel.

I do just that every time I go to a range. Some ranges I visit are out in the woods, and I'm on my own. I think I'm not likely to be jumped when I've just arrived or are actively shooting. OTOH, it's when I'm returning to my car at the end of the session that a BG knows I have firearms and thinks I may be out of ammo. My range bag always has at least one mag full of personal defense ammo for one of the guns I am shooting that day.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I do just that every time I go to a range. Some ranges I visit are out in the woods, and I'm on my own. I think I'm not likely to be jumped when I've just arrived or are actively shooting. OTOH, it's when I'm returning to my car at the end of the session that a BG knows I have firearms and thinks I may be out of ammo. My range bag always has at least one mag full of personal defense ammo for one of the guns I am shooting that day.

:thumbsup:

Old Indian saying, "Never shoot your last arrow."

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011

Even when just going to sight in a rifle, I wear a sidearm for just in case purposes.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's okay. You need your situational awareness radar turned on because there can be some clueless folks there.

Their sales folks are allright but can be pretty clueless too. Had one tell me the difference between a .40 & 9mm is like driving an SUV through the target vs a compact. Oookay.

Bought a pistol there once and the dude swept me several times with it while fumbling with the case and paperwork. Haven't been back since.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Old thread, but I finally had an experience there that left me ready to not go again. Lots of muzzle sweeps, mag dumps (with a 22, and a target that looks like a shot spread), and an obviously new shooter with a rented glock that not on swept everyone on the line, but needed another shooter to show him the very basics (how to load, where to point, etc). Not sure what their rental policy is, but a basic rundown of operation and safety should be a requirement. The "RSO" had no interest in safety other than sweeping the brass, but damned if they didn't jump on anyone with a range bag on the window ledge.

Hate to say it, but I need to find somewhere else, preferably more restrictive/private. Oh well.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Old thread, but I finally had an experience there that left me ready to not go again. Lots of muzzle sweeps, mag dumps (with a 22, and a target that looks like a shot spread), and an obviously new shooter with a rented glock that not on swept everyone on the line, but needed another shooter to show him the very basics (how to load, where to point, etc). Not sure what their rental policy is, but a basic rundown of operation and safety should be a requirement. The "RSO" had no interest in safety other than sweeping the brass, but damned if they didn't jump on anyone with a range bag on the window ledge.

Hate to say it, but I need to find somewhere else, preferably more restrictive/private. Oh well.

I’m guessing the RSO was slacking and I probably would have said something to the boss. I’ve been there a few times recently and the RSO’s seemed to be paying adequate attention. However they do have some inexperienced shooters there often. I try to request a lane near one of the right side walls if possible just because.

FYI Any rental there requires two persons. I asked them why they require two persons to rent and the answer surprised me. He said a number of years ago they had several suicides. Since they instituted the buddy policy not one attempt.

So I’m guessing what you saw today was probably the fault of whoever was coaching this guy as much as the shooter himself.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've only been to On Target three times, and I'll never go back.

I joined The machine Gun Nest in Frederick a few months ago, and it's a world of difference! Very nice and well informed staff, RSOs that are helpful, friendly and very attentive when they should be, and in the background the rest of the time.

It's a hike, but always a good experience! They make their customers feel welcome, instead of an imposition like On Target.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Terrible place. Glad it came back into conversation... I always like to remind others how terrible that place is Everytime I went.

Mr H

Banana'd
    While I haven't been there in a long time, it's certainly not because it's been IMO 'a bad place'.

If I was going to make a suggestion on cutting down on safety concerns, it would only be that people with whom they are not familiar either provide some form of NRA training, Hunter Safety or CWP card, or have to go through a safety briefing.

Better posting of Range Rules would be a help, too.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I go in the mornings. Most of the people shooting when I go are a hell of a lot better than I am. I haven't noticed any safety issues while I was there, but I'm usually focused on what I am doing and making sure I am being safe. The afternoons can be a bit more amateur hour.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Lets not forget, On Target was one of the first ones to stand up against the MSP and the dealers cartel when our 2A rights where being violated back in 2013, by releasing firearms after 7 days.

I go in the mornings. Most of the people shooting when I go are a hell of a lot better than I am. I haven't noticed any safety issues while I was there, but I'm usually focused on what I am doing and making sure I am being safe. The afternoons can be a bit more amateur hour.

I usually go Sat. Or Sun. morning when they open and rarely have an issue,after 1100 the "local,sights on the side" start to wake up and funnel in.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Lets not forget, On Target was one of the first ones to stand up against the MSP and the dealers cartel when our 2A rights where being violated back in 2013, by releasing firearms after 7 days.

Well, yes... but...

Eventually, pressure and legal opinions caused them to start releasing, provided you signed a waiver (and you had to mention the waiver). I had a 1911 I bought in mid-Sep 2013 in jail for IIRC 87 days. MSP was all over dealers, even before Oct 1, and they caved.

I went in after nearly 3 months and signed for its 'release'. Shortly after several folks did this they decided that MSP was full of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom