• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    So...does anyone have additional knowledge over this incinerator deal in Frederick?
    I've been reading the paper and online articles, but I haven't gotten the impression that it is a done deal.

The proposed project begins in 2013.

Anybody in the area living in 3mi radius effected by this and what are your thoughts?

I was thinking about moving into that area but now hesitant...

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I heard that the traffic for dump trucks traveling to the site may get pretty bad.
    Since route 85 is the only road to get to the site...

This is just from reading about residents that live near sites. Anyone heard or experienced any issues if living near county or area dumps?

What are your complaints?
    Odor?
    Etc?

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I think it's reverted to back under study. Carrol County backed out. Not sure if viable with only Fredrick's volume of trash. Big $ commitment if it goes through. Although recycling has it's drawbacks, no market for plastic and glass. I would rather waste money on that as opposed to waste to energy.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I heard that the traffic for dump trucks traveling to the site may get pretty bad.
    Since route 85 is the only road to get to the site

This is just from reading about residents that live near sites. Anyone heard or experienced any issues if living near county or area dumps?

What are your complaints?
    Odor?
    Etc?

I agree. also from what i take from it, its that whole "not in my backyard" thing.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I worked on the MoCo waste to energy facility. What really pi$$e$ me off is how everyone screamed and yelled about air pollution but NOBODY complained about the red smoke coming from the coal fed power plant beside it, and now nobody says a word. It is VERY clean. No odor unles you are standing on the tipping room floor. There are really only 2 companies in the world that everyone uses as a model. Martin GMBH and Wheelabrator. Frederick is looking at a Wheeabrator designed facility. I heard over the weekend, it is almost a done deal. BTW the USA is WAAAY behind the rest of the world in this technology. Europe has been doing this since the 1950's. I personally saw drawings that were stamped 1956 when the MoCo facility was built.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I toured one a few years back, may have been the MoCo one. I had no issues at all with the place.

I guess the extra traffic may be an issue. However, traffic sucks in lots of the area so not sure you would notice a difference there.

If you can grab a deal on real estate near it since people don't want it I would look into it. If/when it's done and people see there is no issue your property should appreciate nicely.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Does Frederick realize there is already an incinerator in the city limits? While not energy producing, it does deal with a lot of medical waste for the better part of 25+ years.

Who here has a clue of the one I am speaking to?

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I worked on the MoCo waste to energy facility. What really pi$$e$ me off is how everyone screamed and yelled about air pollution but NOBODY complained about the red smoke coming from the coal fed power plant beside it, and now nobody says a word. It is VERY clean. No odor unles you are standing on the tipping room floor. There are really only 2 companies in the world that everyone uses as a model. Martin GMBH and Wheelabrator. Frederick is looking at a Wheeabrator designed facility. I heard over the weekend, it is almost a done deal. BTW the USA is WAAAY behind the rest of the world in this technology. Europe has been doing this since the 1950's. I personally saw drawings that were stamped 1956 when the MoCo facility was built.

what about the stuff you cannot see or smell? Like heavy metals and such? I am not against them, but I don't know jack shit about incinerators.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Does Frederick realize there is already an incinerator in the city limits? While not energy producing, it does deal with a lot of medical waste for the better part of 25+ years.

Who here has a clue of the one I am speaking to?

A lot of Frederick is not aware of that.(Probably best that most don't know.:innocent0)

Those of us who have been here for years know exactly what you speak of.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    A lot of Frederick is not aware of that.(Probably best that most don't know.:innocent0)

Those of us who have been here for years know exactly what you speak of.

Yep, I found out one morning that what I smelled was NOT bacon...I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day after the education. :rolleyes:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yep, I found out one morning that what I smelled was NOT bacon...I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day after the education. :rolleyes:

A few years back while at a viewing/visitation out of state, my nephew and I walked outside of the funeral home to wait for the rest of the family
    /friends to leave. (It was like 10pm and they were all talking inside as the funeral home staff seemed to be nervously awaiting everyone's departure.)

As we're standing in the lot my nephew says - "I'm hungry and that smells good but I don't recall seeing any restaurants close by." I said there aren't any restaurants near here and proceeded to show him the heat wave coming off of a stainless steel stack on the back of the funeral home.

He almost lost his stomach right on the spot. :lol2:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    A few years back while at a viewing/visitation out of state, my nephew and I walked outside of the funeral home to wait for the rest of the family
    /friends to leave. (It was like 10pm and they were all talking inside as the funeral home staff seemed to be nervously awaiting everyone's departure.)

As we're standing in the lot my nephew says - "I'm hungry and that smells good but I don't recall seeing any restaurants close by." I said there aren't any restaurants near here and proceeded to show him the heat wave coming off of a stainless steel stack on the back of the funeral home.

He almost lost his stomach right on the spot. :lol2:

Lived in the area most of my life and I don't know what your speaking of. Please enlighten me...

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    MoCo's is largely fed by train which alleviates the traffic.
    I approve of a waste to energy facility.
    I wonder where all the spent ash goes from these places????

I said there aren't any restaurants near here and proceeded to show him the heat wave coming off of a stainless steel stack on the back of the funeral home.

Cremation? Ha ha add some bacon with that octogerian.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I've been in Fred Co for 10 years now and I dont know where it is. So, where is it?

Ft Detrick, specifically for the NCI (National Cancer Institute), but some tenant organization where able to bring their already shredded classified material there for incineration.

Not sure what day they do it on now, but what I spoke of above, they would incinerate the dead lab animals on Thursday mornings. I thought it smelled like ham/bacon until corrected. :innocent0

Got a chance to visit it when stationed there back in 89 - 91 and took our shreds over to be incinerated. We had to be on site from the time we handed the bags off until they went into the shute for the incinerator. Then we had to look through the window to verify that the bags entered the incinerator.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MoCo's is largely fed by train which alleviates the traffic.
    I approve of a waste to energy facility.
    I wonder where all the spent ash goes from these places????

Cremation? Ha ha add some bacon with that octogerian.

Marko,

There really isn't that much ash left at the temp they run these things. At one time I used to know what the conversion rate was for the one in Frederick (I was young and curious), but have since forgot. Suffice to say, I was amazed at how efficient the burn/reburn is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom