• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    Well the wife and I went down to Gilbert's this past Sunday and she is hooked. A friend of ours got us one of those Groupon things and we finally got an appt this past Sunday because they've been booked for weeks in advance. So they started us out with 100 rds of .22 on some no name gun(felt really cheap to me). Luckily I brought my G17 so after she was done blowing through the .22 ammo she started shooting my Glock. I could tell it was still a little bit to high of a caliber for her (she's really small and going from a .22 to a 9mm was a big change even for her). The first shot she popped off she gave this evil look and I thought for sure my hopes were dashed, but the more she shot the more she got used to it. By the time she shot off about 3 mags she was good to go.

Anyways I now have the go ahead to get a rifle for Christmas and am trying to decide what to get so any recommendations would be awesome. It's in my other thread here. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=92930

Honestly I'm really glad she's into it now because prior to this she was absolutely terrified of guns in general even if I would just bring it out to clean it. She has definitely made a turn around. I think I may wind up picking up a Sig Sauer Mosquito for her. She liked that one the most out of all the guns we looked at.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Well the wife and I went down to Gilbert's this past Sunday and she is hooked. A friend of ours got us one of those Groupon things and we finally got an appt this past Sunday because they've been booked for weeks in advance. So they started us out with 100 rds of .22 on some no name gun(felt really cheap to me). Luckily I brought my G17 so after she was done blowing through the .22 ammo she started shooting my Glock. I could tell it was still a little bit to high of a caliber for her (she's really small and going from a .22 to a 9mm was a big change even for her). The first shot she popped off she gave this evil look and I thought for sure my hopes were dashed, but the more she shot the more she got used to it. By the time she shot off about 3 mags she was good to go.

Anyways I now have the go ahead to get a rifle for Christmas and am trying to decide what to get so any recommendations would be awesome. It's in my other thread here. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=92930

Honestly I'm really glad she's into it now because prior to this she was absolutely terrified of guns in general even if I would just bring it out to clean it. She has definitely made a turn around. I think I may wind up picking up a Sig Sauer Mosquito for her. She liked that one the most out of all the guns we looked at.
    Get her to take a basic pistol class. My wife just took one at IWLA-Frederick last weekend and loved it,and not just because I was one of the instructors. She had a lot of fun and has already requested a trip to the range. She has never shown interest in shooting until now.

It was a ladies only class and it is always one of our most popular classes. They get to learn
    The basics of safety and gun handling, and then get a few hours on the range.

We also make dozens of guns available for the ladies to handle for them to see how they feel and once they finish the on the range with the course required 22shooting , we allow them to take 20 rounds or so with other guns that they showed an interest in. Everyone learns a lot and has a good time.

T 990TB

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe you should let her shop for one I was gonna get my girl a .22 but took her with me to pick up a rifle and she asked for a S&W Bodyguard at the shop, so now she has one.

Doberdad

Feb 23, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    Maybe you should let her shop for one I was gonna get my girl a .22 but took her with me to pick up a rifle and she asked for a S&W Bodyguard at the shop, so now she has one.

Yeah don't assume. My wife much prefers the Walther .38 and the Beretta 9mm to the .22 revolver we have. We'll find out whether it's just a revolver vs auto thing when we can finally get the S&W from the last group buy out to the range.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Congrats on getting the wife out to the range. It is nice having the spouse actually appreciate something you care about.

I really enjoy taking my wife and her friends out to shoot. They are usually happy to just be shooting, and it makes me less aggravated when I am shooting like trash. Half of the time I end up enjoying the day more with a couple women just shooting around happy to hit the target. Instead of focusing on just shooting, i am just having fun.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Congrats. After I finally convinced the wife to come to the range with me, she loves it. She now asks me when we can go shooting again.

Doberdad

Feb 23, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    The only downside is that it costs you more in ammo and range fees :) Plus I can't get mine to clean the weapons afterward, but I don't clean the toilets so I guess it works out!

PMD354

I've been married for going on 37 years. My wife would not allow me to own a pistol for the first 34 years. She had a bad experience when she was 14 babysitting her younger brother. He found her father's 38 and went out in the backyard and shot the pistol and clipped the neighbors ear. She was deadly afraid of guns since then. She allowed me to own all the long guns I wanted. Told her one day a few years ago that I was heading to the range, she asked me if she could go. I had been asking her for years and always got the standard answer "NO". I told her sure and that it would be great to have her along. I packed up a couple of 22's, her fathers M1 carbine and an AK47. She started shooting the 22 auto's and the smile just kept getting bigger after every shot. We then moved on to the M1 carbine, she was a little nervous at first, but I assured her that she could handle it. After about 5 15 round mags she reminded me that this was her gun because it was handed down from her father. I was beginning to see my opening for getting her to allow me to get a pistol. Next we moved on to the AK. After a couple of 30 round mags she got mad at me because of all of the fun that I was having when I went to the range in the past. I told her that its not like I didn"t ask her but you said no. To shorten the story we now have 6 pistols. I say we because 2 of them are registered to her. She got a Ruger Single Six in 22LR and 22Mag. She also has a Springfield Armory XDm in 9mm. I put a Vidarian green laser on it and she will put all 19 round in the black on a 5 inch target at 10 yards. So I guess that by now you are getting the drift that I am no longer allowed to have all the fun by myself. If anyone else out there has a wife that is dead set against shooting drag her to the range, start her off slow and watch the grin get bigger by the round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom