Which 223 Bolt gun, Mossberg MVP or Ruger American?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I agree! Savage makes a very accurate, reasonable priced rifle right out of the box, no enhancements needed. That said, I have a CZ527 of my brother's at the house right now, it's a 223 and a really sharp looking rifle. I haven't shot it and he's in the hospital right now, so I'll ask him next tomorrow when I see him how it shoots. (he was on his way home from the range when a dog ran out in front of him and he missed the dog, but totaled the car and busted himself up pretty badly.. ) :mad:

Holy crap - that's terrible! I wish him a speedy recovery.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was very happy with my Mossberg MVP's raw accuracy, too. Admittedly, it was somewhat finicky about magazines, albeit once you found ones that worked, they worked pretty consistently. I wound up selling mine because a 24" 1:9 medium-heavy barrel with a heavy wooden stock was not what I needed. I would happily buy another with a 18-20" 1:7 or 1:8 barrel and a lighter stock.

Worth noting is that the .308 version has a different bolt scheme for the double stack mags that does away with the phalange. (If they had an AK mag version, I'd buy it in a flash.)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a Mossberg MVP 223 bolt. Regret the purchase.

Acceptance of AR mags is a gimmicky feature that serves no true purpose, but introduces a ton of issues into the design, as AR mags originally designed for semiautos do not easily work well with bolt actions systems. Causes the addition of cheesy and unreliable proprietary parts to be engineered into the bolt that can be sourced only from Mossberg. Had to do that twice when stuff failed.

IMHO there's no reason to have 5.56mm NATO chambers in a bolt, as all the decent ammo is Remington anyway. Unlike some people I still feel the 223 bolt is a great purchase, I shoot 200-300yd at ranges the overwhelming majority of the time, and 223 is great for that and a lot of fun. But a Savage would have been more optimal and easier to maintain.

Mines been very good, I got suckered by the AR mags and laminate but given what I have seen of Mossberg products in general the Ruger is probably a better choice.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    This is a tough crowd. Dreadpirate asks about a specific .223, and half the world tells him that not only is his choice wrong, but that he actually needs a different caliber, too. He didn't say why he wanted a .223, but you "knew" he was wrong anyway.Y'all can continue to shoot your .308s for everything from paper to varmints, bunnies and grizzlies. I'll just use my .223 for most of those at less than half the price and recoil of.308.
    Of the things you mentioned, Dreadpirate, I'm partial to the CZ527, but the Tikka is a fine rifle too. Hell, they're all good.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is a tough crowd. Dreadpirate asks about a specific .223, and half the world tells him that not only is his choice wrong, but that he actually needs a different caliber, too. He didn't say why he wanted a .223, but you "knew" he was wrong anyway.Y'all can continue to shoot your .308s for everything from paper to varmints, bunnies and grizzlies. I'll just use my .223 for most of those at less than half the price and recoil of.308.
    Of the things you mentioned, Dreadpirate, I'm partial to the CZ527, but the Tikka is a fine rifle too. Hell, they're all good.

Does not bother me - it's all good! I am going with 223 because it's economical and sufficient for most sporting requirements. There are a bunch of good soft-shooting calibers out there with great ballistics, but 223 is good enough for me.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Tikka does not take AR mags - but you can get 6 round (223) extended mag for all the basic T3x models. The tactical model has a 10 round mag. Can't wait to get this thing! Grab A Gun is not exactly fast.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have nothing but good things to say about ruger american and they've outdone $1000 rigs at long ranges for me.

Maybe get the Ruger ranch if you want a short rifle

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just got my Tikka T3x all set up tonight and plan to shoot it first thing next week (got a an extra sling for it some place that I have to locate). For fit and finish, this thing is perfect. A light handy 223 bolt gun with a 20" 1 in 8 twist barrel. This is exactly what I wanted. Tossed an already on-hand Bushnell 3X9 on it with Warne rings (made for Tikka). Also got an extended capacity mag (6 rounds) separately from Beretta as well.

Attachments

• 20171009_193455.jpg
      20171009_193455.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 211

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just got my Tikka T3x all set up tonight and plan to shoot it first thing next week (got a an extra sling for it some place that I have to locate). For fit and finish, this thing is perfect. A light handy 223 bolt gun with a 20" 1 in 8 twist barrel. This is exactly what I wanted. Tossed an already on-hand Bushnell 3X9 on it with Warne rings (made for Tikka). Also got an extended capacity mag (6 rounds) separately from Beretta as well.

Nice looking gun. I’m going to own at Tika someday.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom