• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    is there anywhere online that has an official stance on this topic? My FFL is waiting for a customer to get their HQL to purchase a AR9 stripped lower but would be awesome if he could just cash and carry. i trust you guys but my FFL needs more proof than what i tell them I read on the forums lol

Ive been told cash and carry by a shop..

Is there a phone# to call MSP and get a straight answer?

Here is the answer right here:

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document D... - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf

Clear as day.

AR lowers are 7 day wait, 77r, no HQL.

Last edited:

mdflyer

Nov 19, 2015
    I think the thing is a dedicated 9mm Glock lower cannot be built into a Banned or a copy cat of a Colt AR the upper may determine the caliber but there is no way to run a Banned colt ar upper so does it fall under the Banned weapons?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think the thing is a dedicated 9mm Glock lower cannot be built into a Banned or a copy cat of a Colt AR the upper may determine the caliber but there is no way to run a Banned colt ar upper so does it fall under the Banned weapons?

huh?

A dedicated 9mm Glock lower can be built into a Glock. The presumption for pistol lowers is that they will be made into a pistol, so an HQL is required for those (+77r). Pistol lowers are not banned. They can be built into rifles or pistols. But a dedicated Glock lower will not end up as an AR, because an AR lower is completely different. For example, you can do this: http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/ But, the result is not an AR, even if it cosmetically looks like one. Glock lower = HQL + wait + 77r.

An AR lower is not a Glock lower, so I am not really sure what you are asking. An AR lower can be made into a 9mm rifle, a 9mm pistol, or maybe some other caliber rifle pistol. None of which will be Glocks. AR lowers do not require HQL because the presumption is they are being made into rifles.

mdflyer

Nov 19, 2015
    I meant ar style lowers that accept glock mags. They cannot use a banned upper ot ar15 magazine because it will not physically fit or operate so they cannot be considered a copy of the banned weapon.

Hence why I asked if there was a way to get a clarification. But that will probably just get them more regulated like a pistol brace clarification.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    AR "style" - with style being the operative word. If the magazine well is reduced to only take Glock mags, its not really an "AR" lower in the sense of the bulletin, nor a a Glock lower (last I checked Glocks do not have buffer tubes). if you talk to MDSP, they are going to give you the most conservative answer.

me, I would argue for cash and carry because 9mm rifles are not banned specifically. But I would also have proof of intent like a bill of sale for a 16", barrel, just in case.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Before there were dedicated " pistol cal only AR-ish " lowers taking Glock pattern mags , there were dedicated " pistol cal only AR-ish " lowers only taking Colt pattern magazines.

mdflyer

Nov 19, 2015
    Outrider58, one shop I would like to buy one from dosent believe that and I would like to buy one of their products, hence why I asked where to get the specific information

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom