• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euro2fast4u

Mar 1, 2015
    Frederick
    So i already have a lower, however i cant seem to find a good quality barrel in Hbar in the length i would like.

Given the barrel is going to be 18" at least, does it still have to be stamped HBAR?

From what i gathered, it depends on if i purchased the lower as a SBR?

I dont think i did as when i picked it up. Help?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Well you wouldn't have purchased the lower as an SBR...you'd have purchased it as a lower (probably multi-caliber) and then submitted an application, fingerprints, and $200 to the ATF for a tax stamp and a very long wait...you'd remember it if you did it ;)

If the lower was purchased and the rifle originally assembled prior to Oct '13, you should be grandfathered in (others please correct me if I'm wrong here) and could put on any otherwise legal length normal barrel. If you purchased the lower after Oct '13 then HBAR is your choice. Here there seems to be some ambiguity in the written law...but as I understand it (again, others correct me if I'm off here) if the barrel is either stamped HBAR or is described in the manufacturer's description as HBAR you should be good to go.

euro2fast4u

Mar 1, 2015
    Frederick
    Ok then my assumption is correct. But now i am having difficulty finding a HBAR barrel in 18" length that is a quality brand. Looking for 1:7 twist

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Must be stamped OR advertised by Mfg as Heavy .

By all means build your rifle to your preferences ( within Md & Federal law of course ). But you do realize that 18in will limit your off the shelf options? 16In choices are common, and 20in are out there .

But to plug some Industry Partners , Engage Armament and Precision can custom turn a barrel or blank to the length and contour of your preference, with blanks of whatever quality you imagination and wallet can handle .

euro2fast4u

Mar 1, 2015
    Frederick
    Correct. 18" because this appears to be 18"

medium_155600-wts-mk12-mod-1-spr.jpg

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    euro
    Last year, I built an 18" HBAR and spent a lot of time looking around, like you, for a quality 18" heavy barrel that would not only meet MD requirements, but that would produce exceptional accuracy.

Since my research did not yield many options, I decided to contact Compass Lake Engineering (CLE) in Florida. CLE is a very well known and respected barrel maker among the Camp Perry crowd. I had them build a custom barrel for me from a Douglas barrel blank. My barrel is 17.9" OAL, in CM steel, parkerized, with M4 feed ramps and with a 1/8 twist. I ordered it with a rifle length gas system and a Wylde chamber. The barrel is 1" in diameter from the barrel extension to the gas block, where it drops to .750." After the gas block, the barrel steps down again very slightly to something like .725" and is threaded at the muzzle 1/2" x 28. It is heavier in profile than a Colt HBAR, which is the "legal" standard.

It took about 4 weeks to get the barrel and cost around $350 with shipping, which is not exorbitant for a custom made barrel from a Douglas blank. They can make the barrel any way you want, so you can have it in stainless if you prefer, or with a 1/7 twist if that's what floats your boat, and in whatever length you prefer.

I also purchased a CLE low profile gas block and had CLE dimple the barrel for me. I sent them my BCM bolt too, and they checked headspace for me and returned the bolt with the completed barrel.

I broke in the barrel over the first 100 rounds as per CLE's instructions and it is a tack driver, easily producing sub MOA groups with 55, 68, 69 and 77 gr. match ammo.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=61&zenid=3e8f88c23e3b74be114f9b64238b23be

Good luck. Send me a PM if you want to see my rifle's "buildsheet."
    Cheers
    John

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hit the boys up at Engage Armament (they are an IP on here) and see what they have for an 18" White Oak barrel. Supporting an IP keeps the lights on for the forum, and they are great guys too! Just watch out for Brutus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom