• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    nothing you or me or the guy next door can do about it, so might as well sit back and relax and watch the fun unfold...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Maybe I'm missing something else, but I don't see any provision in the Act or Title 36 that gives the Secretary any discretion to dictate how the CMP sells firearms that it receives and thereupon become its property.

These ARE C or R firearms. Whether the CMP wants to recognize an 03 FFL when selling them is a different matter.

The US Army doesn't have to release these handguns. They want it done one way. If they are to be released to the CMP, then the CMP must follow the guidelines the US Army sets.

Plain.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The US Army doesn't have to release these handguns. They want it done one way. If they are to be released to the CMP, then the CMP must follow the guidelines the US Army sets.

Plain.

What? "[T]he Secretary of the Army shall transfer surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols described in paragraph (2) to the Corporation . . . in accordance with this section."

There is no discretion on the Army's part, and neither that section nor any other section conditions such mandated transfer on the Army's adoption of guidelines to be followed by the CMP once the pistols become the property of the CMP.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or stir up crap, and I realize that there is absolutely nothing any of us can do to change anything, but this is an interesting topic of discussion and I think it's important that we work with the facts.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    What? "[T]he Secretary of the Army shall transfer surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols described in paragraph (2) to the Corporation . . . in accordance with this section."

There is no discretion on the Army's part, and neither that section nor any other section conditions such mandated transfer on the Army's adoption of guidelines to be followed by the CMP once the pistols become the property of the CMP.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or stir up crap, and I realize that there is absolutely nothing any of us can do to change anything, but this is an interesting topic of discussion and I think it's important that we work with the facts.

36 U.S.C. § 40733 - U.S. Code - Patriotic and National Observances, Ceremonies, and Organizations § 40733. Applicability of other law

In general.--Except as provided in subsection (b), section 922(a)(1) -(3) and (5) of title 18 does not apply to the shipment, transportation, receipt, transfer, sale, issuance, loan, or delivery by the corporation, of an item that the corporation is authorized to issue, loan, sell, or receive under this chapter.

Exception.--With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    36 U.S.C. § 40733 - U.S. Code - Patriotic and National Observances, Ceremonies, and Organizations § 40733. Applicability of other law

In general.--Except as provided in subsection (b), section 922(a)(1) -(3) and (5) of title 18 does not apply to the shipment, transportation, receipt, transfer, sale, issuance, loan, or delivery by the corporation, of an item that the corporation is authorized to issue, loan, sell, or receive under this chapter.

Exception.--With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks.

Mic drop........

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    This is BS. The CMP is rolling over and becoming politically correct. Back in the sixties, we bought 1911's and 1903's and had them shipped directly to me. Collectors having an 03 FFL BY LAW are allowed to purchase and receive firearms through interstate commerce. Their position on the current crop of 1911's has made me decide to drop my support for the organization. :mad54:
    Yes and no.

C&R specifically says that all State laws must be followed. C&R does not override state law. Some states don't allow direct shipment of handguns to C&R licensees. Luckily, Maryland does.

So they don't want to have to deal with that difference from state to state.

I don't like it either, but when the SHTF over the government selling handguns to the public again, they want to have as much protection for the program as they possibly can.

I probably won't partake either. I don't have an HQL (not needed here) and don't really want to set up an e77r account either. I'll just wait for someone to flip one and use my C&R then.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    "Exception.--With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks."

We've already had background checks done as ffl03s.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Mic drop........

Better pick it up. The quoted text just says that the CMP has to become an 01 FFL as a condition to shipping a pistol. Okay. Last time I checked, an 01 FFL can ship to an 03 FFL.

I’ll say it again, recognizing that it’s all academic at this point - the Act does not prohibit the CMP from shipping a pistol directly to an out of state 03 FFL.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Yes and no.

C&R specifically says that all State laws must be followed. C&R does not override state law. Some states don't allow direct shipment of handguns to C&R licensees. Luckily, Maryland does.

I don't like it either, but when the SHTF over the government selling handguns to the public again, they want to have as much protection for the program as they possibly can.

I probably won't partake either. I don't have an HQL (not needed here) and don't really want to set up an e77r account either. I'll just wait for someone to flip one and use my C&R then.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You don’t need an HQL to buy a M1911/1911A1.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Sigh.

They already do this with rifle Sales to CA, NJ, NY, etc.

This is all “feel good” stuff.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    This is BS. The CMP is rolling over and becoming politically correct. Back in the sixties, we bought 1911's and 1903's and had them shipped directly to me. Collectors having an 03 FFL BY LAW are allowed to purchase and receive firearms through interstate commerce. Their position on the current crop of 1911's has made me decide to drop my support for the organization. :mad54:

Yep. Mic drop.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Cant believe people are inconvenienced by so little , Oh well just makes more to go around for people who appreciate what CMP is doing

You may not care about your Second Amendment rights. I do. We all should. They are slowly being whittled away. I find it so amusing that the CMP is basically a god. We are lucky to have it, they say. They are doing good work, they say. They are making Guns available to the masses, they say. The mods on that forum are 10 times worse.

All of us can currently buy a rattle trap mix-master M1911A1 for the price at which the CMP will sell these. It’s amazing to me that things sold by the CMP get elevated to gold ingot status.

I can’t help but notice that you didn’t acknowledge my prior post about the law requiring two NICS checks and an 01 FFL transfer.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You may not care about your Second Amendment rights. I do. We all should. They are slowly being whittled away. I find it so amusing that the CMP is basically a god. We are lucky to have it, they say. They are doing good work, they say. They are making Guns available to the masses, they say.

All of us can currently buy a rattle trap mix-master M1911A1 for the price at which the what the CMP will sell these. It’s amazing to me that things sold by the CMP get elevated to gold ingot status.

I can’t help but notice that you didn’t acknowledge my prior post about the law requiring two NICS checks.

My e-mail to the CMP laid out most of what you just said.

I'm certain I'll get no reply.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Cant believe people are inconvenienced by so little , Oh well just makes more to go around for people who appreciate what CMP is doing

I'm out because I'm not a fan of the 1911. There.... I said it. I own one and have no reason to want to buy another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom