• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    It does look like an ad written by CMP publicists :)
    Somehow I doubt there will be any pristine guns after being jumbled together in those crates.

comments are fun to read...

My exact thoughts after reading the article. Trump will sign then the cherry picking will begin.

This pistol was on my father's bucket list (tunnel rat in VN) and I moved it to mine once he passed, if he knew how this is being handled his bucket would no longer carry it simply due to the manipulation and hoops to jump through!

I'm curious how they pick which pallets they grab first FIFO, FILO, or just grabbing pallets out of the building in which they need room in? Can they call it a lottery when the better items are offered to those with the $$$$ to bid in auction (Serious Collectors). Breeching the line of "pay to play" ? sorry, no offense meant, just a term in the news lately.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Everytime the story is mentioned in mainstream media, the selling price will increase $20 because of increased demand from the general public who have no idea what they are actually worth.

agree - I was optimistic about acquiring a reasonably priced 1911 and Korean Garand at some point, but my expectations of that happening are slowly diminishing.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Update emailed today
    http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...07623&ca=7e2797df-30af-4894-b429-d79b536acc16

Status of the CMP 1911s, 1/29/2018:

The CMP has been authorized to receive 8,000 1911 type pistols from the United States Army.

The 1911s have been received by the CMP. A complete inventory will be conducted over the course of this week. The pistols will then be securely stored until the Army-approved 1911 building and armory infrastructure is completed. That completion is anticipated to be approximately 60 days from now. Once the 1911 armory is completed, inspection, grading, repair, and ultimately test firing of the pistols will begin. (Please be aware that the CMP was led to believe that we were ready to move forward, but three weeks ago facility requirements were changed, and we are now fulfilling those requirements.)

The CMP 1911 order packet will be posted 90 days prior to the order acceptance date and opening sales date. No orders will be accepted prior to that date. Please visit www.thecmp.org, click on the Sales icon then 1911 Information, for the latest. CMP customer service has been inundated with calls and emails concerning the 1911s and no further information is available at this time.

The CMP will keep everyone posted as we move through this process.

Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    www.thecmp.org

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm going to take a SWAG that with just 8k pistols, they can charge about what they want and these will sell out in under a week.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The link from the Original post has the article saying it was no more than 10,000 per year. Does anyone know the total that the US Army could be transfering lifetime?
    Figure 8-10 per year but it may stop in 3 years if T45 is not re-elected.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm going to take a SWAG that with just 8k pistols, they can charge about what they want and these will sell out in under a week.

Mark Johnson addressed this in his December 19th email. This can be found on the CMP 1911 info page.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Mark Johnson addressed this in his December 19th email. This can be found on the CMP 1911 info page.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

I have no doubt that they'll be priced fairly. My comment was intended to reflect that with such a limited number, they COULD essentially sell for whatever they wanted and would likely find buyers. I had a CMP Garand and thought the price was quite fair. I divested all of my C&R so I'm an outside observer to this, nothing more.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I have no doubt that they'll be priced fairly. My comment was intended to reflect that with such a limited number, they COULD essentially sell for whatever they wanted and would likely find buyers. I had a CMP Garand and thought the price was quite fair. I divested all of my C&R so I'm an outside observer to this, nothing more.

Agreed :thumbsup:

My guess is they will pull 100 or so for auction only. The rest will go to the first 7900 envelopes they open once they go on sale.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

People who are complaining about the process or the price. The CMP owns the product. There will likely be high demand. CMP had to change its business model to sell handguns. The change required process changes. There is still a secondary market that may actually benefit from this. There are millions of USGI 1911s out there, so 8,000 more has already generated interest.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Agreed :thumbsup:

My guess is they will pull 100 or so for auction only. The rest will go to the first 7900 envelopes they open once they go on sale.

They are doing a "lottery" to assign places in line for purchase.

Yours can be the first envelope they open on the first day but if your application draws #9999 you are going to be SOL.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    They are doing a "lottery" to assign places in line for purchase.

Yours can be the first envelope they open on the first day but if your application draws #9999 you are going to be SOL.

That's not the way I read it. The 10,000 number was based on getting 10,000 guns. They got 8,000 guns. I read it to be that once they got the number of orders for the number of guns they would dole them out to those folks. The random number generator was just to select the order they were delivered.

Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
    The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
    Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
    When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one 1911 type pistol.

The first folks contacted will get the option to buy the best guns.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Well, I was wrong on the carbines, so if I'm wrong on the 1911's at least I'll be consistent.

;)

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Mark Johnson posted this on 2/13/18 when asked about auction sales
    We have not inspected the 1911s as of yet, but I assume there will be a few that meet the criteria to go on our auction website. No one that has purchased a 1911 from CMP will be allowed to purchase a second one from the auction site. One 1911 per customer, per calendar year.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=223468

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom