• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...background-checks/901017001/?csp=breakingnews

Feds issue 4,000 orders to seize guns from people who failed background checks
    :omg:

WASHINGTON— Federal authorities sought to take back guns from thousands of people the background check system should have blocked from buying weapons because they had criminal records, mental health issues or other problems that would disqualify them.

But wait, that was last year...

A USA TODAY review found that the FBI issued more than 4,000 requests last year for agents from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives to retrieve guns from prohibited buyers.

4000 orders sounds like a lot but:
    The sudden spike in gun retrieval directives is attributed in part to the record 27.5 million background checks fielded by NICS examiners last year.

lesse, 4000 divided by 27.5 million is .01%

"ATF agents did not consider most of the prohibited persons who had obtained guns to be dangerous and therefore did not consider it a priority to retrieve the firearm promptly,'' report concluded.

In the end, about 93% of guns are recovered.

whew!!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    "ATF agents did not consider most of the prohibited persons who had obtained guns to be dangerous and therefore did not consider it a priority to retrieve the firearm promptly,'' report concluded.

Hmmm......nah, must be my comprehension.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Hmmm......nah, must be my comprehension.

Over 2/3 of the names in NICS are there for non-violent offenses. So I'd say this is probably true, they were not worried.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    You’re saying bureaucracies like FBI and BATFE make significant errors? No sir, I️ do not believe it. But if they do, it’s nothing more laws and red tape won’t fix...

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I am convinced that 72 hour fail safe is the one of the only reasons we were still able to purchase firearms under O without NFA style waits.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I wonder how many of those guns will turn out to have been lost in tragic boating accidents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom