• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Been out of the loop since all the newer imposed MD regulations. So I've got a few questions.

I have a few lowers that I haven't built. These were purchased before the 2013 (I think I have the year correct?) restrictions.

Am I legally allowed to build one of these into a 9mm AR? It will have to meet the newly imposed OAL requirements now, correct? Would it have to be an HBAR? Would I also be able to SBR it to a configuration SHORTER than the OAL requirements now because I had owned the lower before all of this had been enacted?

I *think* the easiest route for me to go is building it as a pistol....but I'd also like to know all my options.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Been out of the loop since all the newer imposed MD regulations. So I've got a few questions.

I have a few lowers that I haven't built. These were purchased before the 2013 (I think I have the year correct?) restrictions.

Am I legally allowed to build one of these into a 9mm AR? It will have to meet the newly imposed OAL requirements now, correct? Would it have to be an HBAR? Would I also be able to SBR it to a configuration SHORTER than the OAL requirements now because I had owned the lower before all of this had been enacted?

I *think* the easiest route for me to go is building it as a pistol....but I'd also like to know all my options.

You can build a 9mm AR. Rifle will have to meet OAL rules. 29”. Pistol? Do what you like.

I wouldn’t was a pre ban lower on 9mm. I’d just save it for building .223/5,56 AR. No restrictions on the lower for 9 mm AR

Agreed. You can use any lower for a 9mm build and a dedicated 9mm lower will likely cost less than a lower + adaptor.
    Your pre-ban lowers don't have the restrictions for builds. 9mm is exempt from the restrictions, so most will argue you're "wasting" a pre ban lower on a 9mm build.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    if the rifle would have to meet OAL rules regardless if the lower was bought pre ban or not, then it'd probably make sense to just buy a new lower and build it out as a pistol.

Thanks guys

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Build all your lowers as pistols first. Just mock them up that way. Then build them into anything you want. It will give you unlimited versatility later on down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom