• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Work towards adding "Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor" to your resume.

If you can provide evidence of a minimum of 1 year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns, you are encouraged to register for this course.

Through this course, we intended to provide experienced handgun instructors with;

1. The opportunity to participate in the same formal training received in the care, safety, and use of handguns required of security guards, PI's, armored car drivers, etc. under Maryland COMAR; and,

2. The chance to earn a minimum qualification score on the required Practical Police Course (PPC); and,

3. The possibility of receiving a completion certificate based on your attendance and PPC score.

At the conclusion of the course, those who pass the PPC with a score >80%, will be assisted with completing an application requesting Maryland State Police approval as a Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor. Your registration fee includes on-site passport photo and notary services.

Applicable Maryland Codes & Regulations (for your reference);
    At this time, none of the COMAR regulations implementing Maryland's new "Handgun Qualification License" scheme have been promulgated. No one can predict exactly what Maryland will require beginning on October 1, 2013. However, we can predict quality instruction, and a useful training opportunity.

This is the second time we have conducted this course, and no future courses are planned.

Seating will be strictly limited. Terms and conditions apply.

Proceeds benefit the Frederick Chapter #1 of the IWLA, Inc. Youth Program.

Registration and details here.

Important Notice: This course is not sponsored, endorsed by, or affiliated with the Maryland State Police or any Maryland State agency. The Maryland State Police evaluate and approve all Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor applications. Attendance at, or completion of this prep class will not guaranty, nor can anyone guaranty the acceptance or approval of your application.

App Status.jpg

Last edited:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    A question, please...

Your page says "Typical proof of experience may include NRA Pistol Instructor or RSO ID,....etc."

RSO's don't "instruct". Can you explain?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have taken this class and it is done VERY well.

Highly recommend this to anyone who qualifies to take the class.

Chris

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    A question, please...

Your page says "Typical proof of experience may include NRA Pistol Instructor or RSO ID,....etc."

RSO's don't "instruct". Can you explain?

You must have at least 1 year of verified handgun instruction experience. Also being an RSO is strongly advised.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have a few updates to announce:

First, we have confirmed a former Assistant Chief, of a large Metro DC area law enforcement agency, to teach Use of Force, and Escalation of Force. This individual brings years of experience from both his time on the street and his time as a Training Instructor.

Second, we have secured the commitment of a knowledgeable, former federal prosecutor, who also has served as Deputy Chief Council for a 3-letter federal agency, to lecture on when you have the legal right to use force, including firearms.

Plus a few other suprisies...

A limited number of spots remain. Register today!

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a few updates to announce:

First, we have confirmed a former Assistant Chief, of a large Metro DC area law enforcement agency, to teach Use of Force, and Escalation of Force. This individual brings years of experience from both his time on the street and his time as a Training Instructor.

Second, we have secured the commitment of a knowledgeable and experienced attorney, who formerly served as Deputy Chief Council for a 3-letter Federal agency, to lecture on when you have the legal right to use force, including firearms.

Plus a few other suprisies...

A limited number of spots remain. Register today!

That is great! :)

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Hey Cypher, thanks for a great course today. The range qualification was a blast. I recommend this class to anyone that has the qualifications.

I look forward to hearing back from MSP about my application. How long does it typically take?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the experience and lessons today from all the instructors and RSO. Job well done by the crew at isaac walton of frederick.

Added few real faces to the names today. It was a long day but well worth it. everybody was safe and nobody fell asleep. Which includes myself for only having couple hours of sleep. I'll keep checking for future class. :)

3fingeredWU

Oct 3, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Great course today. Weather was perfect, sun was out and it was very informative. A great course given by some great guys/gals and of course, Ben Kelke.

Thanks all!

Dave D.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So , is that a "years worth" as in 8hrs x 5days x 50 weeks = 2000hrs of verifiable teaching ? Or is that some amount of time teaching , on two seperate days , that happen to be at least 366 days apart ?

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Being from VA, I learned a lot about MD regulations and processes. I was particularly impressed with the sound logistics and smart processes used for getting everyone's application packet assembled, checked and ready for delivery. I think the lion's share of the credit for this clearly belongs to CypherPunk - hats off to him for a super job!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Patience grasshopper. The Maryland State Police are not the Utah BCI.

As discussed in class, the MSP take a minimum of 6-8 weeks in order to process and issue a certification of qualification.

I will post here as soon as I hear of any change in status.

I appreciate the time all of you set aside to attend, your dedication to improving your skills and increasing your knowledge, and to the professional way in which you conducted yourselves.

You are all ambassadors of the shooting sports.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I wouldn't say antzy.

It is more of a curiosity to see if all, or a portion of the class is approved. Besides observing the overall process by the MSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom