• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have had zero issues with my Delton and it’s surprisingly accurate.
    The only issue I had with my Delton was with the BCG hanging while trying to charge it with a mag putting pressure on it from below, and once I smoothed it up a bit with the fine emery cloth, and dehorned it in a few key places (I used another BCG that was already dehorned and smoothed for comparison) I've had no issues with it. Like yours, it's more than accurate enough too. I should add that this build wasn't a whole Delton rifle, but rather a Delton rifle kit that I put on an 80 lower.

If it works, it works. Would it would withstand the rigors of war? Dunno - I guess I'll find out if/when the time comes.

To add to this, looking at the brand spanking new Colt M4s my unit got, those aren't completely reliable - some of those have had issues at the range too.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    I think the cheapest I'd go with where you start to see a duty level of quality with heirloom longevity, I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy, would be around the 1300-1500 range. AR15s are a serious weapon and the QC and machining involved should not be taken lightly. Too many companies pass the QC onto the retail customer and that's despicable. Not everyone should get an AR, they aren't toys. That being said there are also brands I avoid because I think they overcharge for their level of quality and just bank on DOD Contracts to just stop innovating and overpriced their guns. Colt and Daniel Defense are good examples of that for me. The platform should be taken seriously. Just my opinion and I'm not throwing shade on anybody. I'm just a hobbyist. If we are talking about merely a range toy, which I don't find to be a suitable use of the AR15 unless it's a 22lr variant, your Delton, M&P15, PSA15 etc will likely work for you a majority of the time. My experience with them is that they typically require some work to be reliable.

tl;dr

BCM
    SOLGW
    LWRC
    SIONICS
    CENTURION
    LMT
    KAC
    RADIAN
    Geissele
    Noveske

Some of these brands aren't perfect and don't bat 1.000. But generally speaking they make products worth the money at retail. Re-sale/covid prices area different story.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    Get ready to laugh.

I'd like to know the cheapest AR you’d buy.

Why? Twins have arrived into my home, so money is tight. I think Biden will pass some kind of ban. I have everything but a rifle. My thought process was find the cheapest AR I can buy 2 and spare parts.

So are there any 450-500 rifles you’d trust?

Palmetto, DPMS, Adam Arms, Rock River something like this, heck maybe I could find one used?

For the forseeable future ANY AR/AK you can actually buy new or used is the one to buy, pickings right now are slim to none... they disapear as soon as they're available you'd be the underdog to find a 100% complete upper for under 600 bucks, available in less than 6-9 months let alone a complete rifle, you may get lucky but I would not wait one day...

democrat gun control is running rabid coast to coast

you've been warned.

300aac

Dec 8, 2020
    Baltimore County
    I bought a radical firearms 300blk out rifle for $645 and have had no issues, no jams, and is accurate. Bought it in october 2020. Only issue is ammo pricing

bustem

Dec 31, 2012
    Check out Bear Creek. In Maryland for a rear charging system it has to be a "heavy barrel". With Bear Creek side charging system it does not because it is not an identical copy of a military firearm.
    I totally agree with buying lowers and parts kits plus complete uppers. Easy to assemble and currently available.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    this question will indeed get a lot of responses....congrats on the twins! Ok here goes....if you are looking for turn key...I will suggest the Good Time Outdoors, Inc. in Ocala Florida....their Core XV. That's Core 15. This is a veteran owned, where everything from the ground up I is made by them. They design and have their trigger assembly made to their design and specifications. These veterans know what they are doing! Lifetime warranty too.

Their triggers out of the box.....are the best standard trigger assemblies bar none. Two stage and 4 lb pull. Barrels are superbly accurate.....they will build them 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9.

They also stake the bolt just like Colt.....Barrels are MPI'ed too. It's basically a Colt without the logo. Their upper and lower receivers mate perfectly with zero wobble. Great rifles, great people. Hope this helps.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I've never had problems with cheap ARs. There isn't as much variation in ARs as people seem to think. I have a Model 1 upper with literally thousands of rounds through it and the number of malfunctions I've had with it I can count on the fingers of one hand. I have Del-Tons and DPMS rifles that function perfectly well.

Matt

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think the cheapest I'd go with where you start to see a duty level of quality with heirloom longevity...

Colt and Daniel Defense are good examples of that for me.
    What exactly is "heirloom longevity" in regard to an AR15? Do you have an actual definition for that or did you put that out there because you thought it sounded good?

Didn't you see my posts about my experiences with Colt, particularly with actual military M16s and M4s?

When I was in basic training in 1989, my Colt M16A1 had (I assume) been in service since it was manufactured in 1971. (I mispoke earlier - I thought I remembered it being a 1972 production, but in fact it was a year older than that.)

SN: 4,786,107
    https://namcom.foroactivo.com/t104-m16-serial-numbers

So by 1989 who knows how many rounds it saw, but by the time I got it, it was loose, rattled, and tended to start to malfunction somewhere between 30-40 rounds in - presumably because the gas rings would line up - that seemed to be the only real reason for it. There were a few times I got all the way through 40 rounds before a malfunction, but not often. I mean, let's call it for what it is - the cadre taught SPORTS in basic training for a reason - the platform is prone to malfunction, so you need to know how to clear it when it does.

And has everyone suddenly forgotten what people were saying about AR15s 10-15 years ago, where it was "Remember your ABC's - Anything BUT Colt."

So with some of that in mind, Colt isn't exactly high on my list because in my experience they have been no better than anything else I've seen or used, and specifically not things I've used in military service.

But regarding the idea of "heirloom longevity," there are a couple of ways one could look at that in light of my basic training rifle. On one hand, it was loose, rattled, and would malfunction, but on the other hand, IT STILL WORKED. I seriously doubt that anyone but the most serious shooters who are competing with an AR15 will ever wear one out, and with them being modular, who cares? Every single part is replaceable on an AR. Every one. And usually not expensive.

Gotta love the internet when it comes to the AR15 - it's probably the most polluted subject online.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    If people are worried about Biden banning ARs (more complicated than it sounds), they might (in the context of the advice to buy lowers and kit them out later) be more concerned about him interfering with interstate Evil Gun PARTS commerce, via common carrier. All depends how frisky he’s feeling.

Not complicated at all IF Trumps BumpStockBan AKA Gun Control by Executive Fiat stands, every semiautomatic firearm without exception, yes pistols & handguns too & not just AR' & AK's using the exact same bump stock ban criteria...

Why? because they all can be bump fired without a bump stock

Every word of Gun Control is used as precedent for the next.

Self Preservation using => force than can be brought against you is a human birthright. In the U.S. it's protected by, not created by the Second Amendment. Every word of Gun Control without exception be it SCOTUS opinion, federal, state, local or other municipality legislation or other prohibition is Unconstitutional. All humans have a fundamental right to not be legislated, disarmed, defenseless victims. Imagine IF our framers had to ask permission from the same tyrannical government that we sent our declaration of independence to before we bought firearms. Imagine if they knew what type, location, and who the owner of every firearm was. We'd still be under a monarchy if that was the case.
    American individuals have the protected right to maintain an effective means to remove & replace a tyrannical government, without permission from said government federal, state or otherwise it's a fundamental tenet of freedom.
    Vote Freedom First, Say No To Tyranny By Gun Control, Demand the Restoration of the Unabridged Second Amendment.
    Just because federal, state, local & other government entities have grown accustomed to passing Unconstitional Laws & Acts, does not somehow make them Constitutional even if SCOTUS upholds them all or in part. The Dred Scott case is one of many examples where SCOTUS 1st held something as Constitutional then years later reversed itself.

Attachments

• The-regulations-to-ban-this_.jpg
      The-regulations-to-ban-this_.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 222
    • shallnotinfringe-002.jpg
      shallnotinfringe-002.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 218
    • 20201130_191539.jpg
      20201130_191539.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 212
    • 19191113_1564379640249528_1510009293_n-1_720-1.jpg
      19191113_1564379640249528_1510009293_n-1_720-1.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 218

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    google or other wise search for "ruger ar556 proprietary parts" it's a fact not all ruger ar 556 parts are milspec or interchangeable.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I have built several rifles/pistols from PSA kits/parts. Zero problems! Make sure you get the mil spec stuff. They offer a lower line.

tailgunner

Oct 18, 2013
    PAsadena Md.
    Ok, I trust the ones I put together, they go bang everytime I pull the trigger. I wouldn't call them precision guns but they get the job done. Buy yourself a complete lower, you can get a anderson for as low as $199. The get a complete upper from either psa or bca, both sell reliable uppers for under $400. So you got yourself a evil gun for under 6 bills. Drop a cheap red dot on it and rock n roll.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Ok, I trust the ones I put together, they go bang everytime I pull the trigger. I wouldn't call them precision guns but they get the job done. Buy yourself a complete lower, you can get a anderson for as low as $199. The get a complete upper from either psa or bca, both sell reliable uppers for under $400. So you got yourself a evil gun for under 6 bills. Drop a cheap red dot on it and rock n roll.

None of those companies sell anything reliable. Everyone knows that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    None of those companies sell anything reliable. Everyone knows that.

Anything from PSA is the lower line at this point.

Yes and yes.

The thing about these two companies is luck of the draw.

You never know what you're gonna get. They are so hit or miss.

The last AR I bought was a Rock River back in the '80s. Everything sisnce then has been hand built using quality parts from reliable manufacturers. And they run like gazelles.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    What exactly is "heirloom longevity" in regard to an AR15? Do you have an actual definition for that or did you put that out there because you thought it sounded good?

Didn't you see my posts about my experiences with Colt, particularly with actual military M16s and M4s?

When I was in basic training in 1989, my Colt M16A1 had (I assume) been in service since it was manufactured in 1971. (I mispoke earlier - I thought I remembered it being a 1972 production, but in fact it was a year older than that.)

SN: 4,786,107
    https://namcom.foroactivo.com/t104-m16-serial-numbers

So by 1989 who knows how many rounds it saw, but by the time I got it, it was loose, rattled, and tended to start to malfunction somewhere between 30-40 rounds in - presumably because the gas rings would line up - that seemed to be the only real reason for it. There were a few times I got all the way through 40 rounds before a malfunction, but not often. I mean, let's call it for what it is - the cadre taught SPORTS in basic training for a reason - the platform is prone to malfunction, so you need to know how to clear it when it does.

And has everyone suddenly forgotten what people were saying about AR15s 10-15 years ago, where it was "Remember your ABC's - Anything BUT Colt."

So with some of that in mind, Colt isn't exactly high on my list because in my experience they have been no better than anything else I've seen or used, and specifically not things I've used in military service.

But regarding the idea of "heirloom longevity," there are a couple of ways one could look at that in light of my basic training rifle. On one hand, it was loose, rattled, and would malfunction, but on the other hand, IT STILL WORKED. I seriously doubt that anyone but the most serious shooters who are competing with an AR15 will ever wear one out, and with them being modular, who cares? Every single part is replaceable on an AR. Every one. And usually not expensive.

Gotta love the internet when it comes to the AR15 - it's probably the most polluted subject online.
    I was suggesting that Colt commands a price far higher than I put their quality. They are decent rifles.

Heirloom longevity would relate to a lack of stacked tolerances that degrade the reliability of the rifle faster. This can be a common issue with cheap ARs. A rifle worth handing down that can survive the years and wear and still be solid as a rock. Some can, some can't. Its not a real term, I used it because I figured one could easily divine my meaning or general idea.

flhspete

Feb 20, 2021
    cheapest yet trust?

Easy. buy parts. put together. done. You don't have to have all of it today...the only decision is which parts. I built my first AR with the most basic parts. cost me all of $550. that was then but at the time it was the most basic parts nothn fancy. i still shoot it. get decent high power scores with it. 20" barrel, fixed stock, regular priced trigger. done.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    I would suggest the Ruger AR 556, it is reasonably priced and is extremely durable. I own one and have put it threw it's paces, no ftf, fte, or misfires. Great all around rifle. Hope this is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom