• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Had a spell of great luck recently that I'm pretty excited about, and yes, I'll probably go out and grab a lotto ticket tomorrow to see if the streak continues.

This past summer I picked up a nice enough WWII Sauer 38H German police eagle/C pistol at a great price from a LGS (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=247130). It was a lonely consignment piece, and one of the selling points was that it had a matching magazine, numbered to the serial number of the gun (magazine marked 299131.2., meaning it was the second of two magazines that was originally issued with the pistol. This was a common practice for German police-issued guns and was done by armorers of the police organizations before being issued out).

A few months ago, I saw on Jan Stills' Luger.gunboards forum that a member there was collecting data on numbered Sauer magazines and holsters, with the hopes that eventually some information could be gleaned as to issuing agency/organization, etc. I posted up a few photos of my Sauer and the matching magazine. Fast forward a couple months, and the kind forum member sent me a very unexpected PM: "It's your lucky day, your second matching magazine just popped up for sale!" I couldn't believe it, but sure enough my second matching mag (numbered 299131.1.) had popped up as the spare magazine to an Army marked Sauer 38H rig on Gunbroker.

Of course I just had to reunite the mag, so I bid on and won the auction. I WAY overpaid for the rig (it was a "Top 25" seller on Gunbroker so of course it went for way above market price), but I figured this could be a once in a lifetime chance to reunite an actual matching magazine with one of my guns. It arrived today, and for the first time in who knows how many years (maybe even since WWII), the two matching magazines are back together with this pistol. I purchased the pistol and mag in Manassas VA, and the other matching mag had made it's way all the way to Simi, CA. Thanks to the keen eye and kindness of the gunboards member, here is the fully matched rig in all its glory:

Attachments

• CE579305-BE24-4C90-B366-27483303F0B2.jpg
      CE579305-BE24-4C90-B366-27483303F0B2.jpg
      105.7 KB · Views: 218
    • FADD2B73-0133-4C0B-9CE4-C70ACC482CEF.jpg
      FADD2B73-0133-4C0B-9CE4-C70ACC482CEF.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 213
    • A65D674B-AD38-4114-A9E6-FD0C6731C8A7.jpg
      A65D674B-AD38-4114-A9E6-FD0C6731C8A7.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 211
    Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    How the heck did he remember that SN and put 2+2 together? That's amazing. Glad to see you were in a position to bid and get the pistol/mag. Would have been tragic otherwise. Betting there's just a handful of pistols here with two matching mags. Congratulations!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    How the heck did he remember that SN and put 2+2 together? That's amazing. Glad to see you were in a position to bid and get the pistol/mag. Would have been tragic otherwise. Betting there's just a handful of pistols here with two matching mags. Congratulations!

Thankfully the tax refunds came in just in time! Yeah I’m amazed he even noticed the number on the magazine (there were quite a few pics to scroll through in the auction listing before there was one of the numbered mag) let alone took the time to make the connection with my post on that forum and contact me. I would have never known it had surfaced otherwise. Definitely owe him a beer should we ever meet.

Jul 1, 2012
    That's a nice miracle story!
    Every so often something like that pops out of the woodwork because of collectors sharing info and looking out for one another...
    It does list the mag s/n in the description so maybe he triggered on that.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Wow, that is a fantastic outcome. I'm so glad for you. I wonder what stories the two twin mags are telling themselves after being separated for so long.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom