• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, I took my M1 to the range after giving it the spa treatment at Charlie's.

First, I caused myself irritations by failing to ensure that all of my cartridges were completely seated against the wall of the enbloc clip. I had some rounds that stood proud and I cause the clip to jam halfway inserted and had to remove the whole clip, re-seat and start over.

Second, I had about 4 instances of double firing, which was pretty startling. My research indicates two main causes for this- Operator Error or trigger problems. Since Charlie Maloney just reworked the trigger, you can probably figure out that I'm the problem here. I guess I just didn't have it tucked against my shoulder tight enough and caused some bump fires.

I was rudely alerted to the fact that my eyes are tired and need better glasses/contact lenses. Hitting the small diamonds on a sight-in target at 50 yards was painful but we were able to dial in the rifle reasonably well.

I shot seated at a bench but had no bag rest so I wrapped the sling around my forearm for support. Charlie warned me that the rifle would settle in and there might be some variations on the first few outings.

So I guess when you consider that I'm new to the rifle, the rifle is new and my support and vision were less than optimal, I probably did OK.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Ok, I took my M1 to the range after giving it the spa treatment at Charlie's.

First, I caused myself irritations by failing to ensure that all of my cartridges were completely seated against the wall of the enbloc clip. I had some rounds that stood proud and I cause the clip to jam halfway inserted and had to remove the whole clip, re-seat and start over.

Second, I had about 4 instances of double firing, which was pretty startling. My research indicates two main causes for this- Operator Error or trigger problems. Since Charlie Maloney just reworked the trigger, you can probably figure out that I'm the problem here. I guess I just didn't have it tucked against my shoulder tight enough and caused some bump fires.

I was rudely alerted to the fact that my eyes are tired and need better glasses/contact lenses. Hitting the small diamonds on a sight-in target at 50 yards was painful but we were able to dial in the rifle reasonably well.

I shot seated at a bench but had no bag rest so I wrapped the sling around my forearm for support. Charlie warned me that the rifle would settle in and there might be some variations on the first few outings.

So I guess when you consider that I'm new to the rifle, the rifle is new and my support and vision were less than optimal, I probably did OK.

You'll be fine and so will the M1. I just got back from the same kind of day at the range, too, flinching and pulling shots, not focusing, not breathing correctly. If there was a way to screw-up a shot today, by golly, I found it.

It's doubly disappointing when conditions are almost perfect with no wind and clear blue skies. If anything, it was almost too bright, you know? My main goal today was to sight-in a new scope so mission accomplished. I did manage to shoot a few decent groups but I also shot some real stinkers.

:party29:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Give the trigger a good positive squeeze until it stops and hold it there until yur ready to shoot again.
    Make sure the rear hammer hooks/sear are not greased.
    If it keeps doing it the sear may need very minor adjustment especially after being worked very closely.
    Take it back to the guy and let him know so he can fix it.
    If your lucky he'll let you watch how he does it and it wont take long its not the first time he's seen it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Don’t seat cartridges against the back of the clip. That causes them to splay outwards. Cartridges 2-6 should have the extractor grooves straddling the ridges on either side of the clip

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sometimes a Garand will double when fired from the bench. I guess it's a flaw in technique.

Try some position shooting: prone, sitting, and standing. That could lead to a John C. Garand match, a good place to go.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I am taking my M1 out tomorrow to sight it in and put a few rounds through it.. I too had my Garand out to Charlie for a new barrel, stock and trigger job a few months back and haven’t had the time to shoot it until now.
    He did say the rifle will settle in and to put some rounds through it.
    I am confident everything he did was spot on and correct. As you know, he is the M1 Guru...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Don’t seat cartridges against the back of the clip. That causes them to splay outwards. Cartridges 2-6 should have the extractor grooves straddling the ridges on either side of the clip

This.

On doubling. Could be you. Could be the sear. I’d give it another try before taking it back. But if it is doing it after more shooting, it might not be you. Not that I’ve shot Garands a ton. But I’ve had one doubling out of maybe 300-400 lifetime shots on the two I’ve shot (a buddies and mine). It was being “too gentle” on the trigger and not having it as positively seated in my shoulder as I should. Wake-up call for sure.

My favorite way to shoot one is sitting off hand.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If an M1/M1A/M14 doubles up or actually goes full auto and empties the mag, remove the trigger group, activate the safety and try squeezing the trigger. If the whole trigger group wiggles there's a problem there. I used to have a National Match M1A that did that and I called Springfield Armory about it, asking if the wiggle issue could cause the doubling up...the answer..."Oh, yes!" They paid to return the rifle where they fixed the issue and the rifle superbly after that.

The M1 has essentially the same trigger group and the same issue can affect it.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Sometimes a Garand will double when fired from the bench. I guess it's a flaw in technique.

Try some position shooting: prone, sitting, and standing. That could lead to a John C. Garand match, a good place to go.
    That’s the ONLY time it’s ever happened to me, very disconcerting when it happens though! Much easier to deal with once I understood
    that it’s a bench thing. Never has happened in position, but if it did, I’d pull the trigger group and look.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Make me want to go shoot mine .Would love to have it looked/worked on. Can relate to the eye issues . I always think what my father told me , hit a pie plate at 100 is good. My groups have definitely expanded over the years . Have a feeling of pulling out my rifle to shoot tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've had it happen once or twice from the bench, and ONLY from the bench. It's so quick you almost don't realize that it happened.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I emailed my range experience to Charlie (he told me to contact him with any concerns or questions).

He stated that bench shooting without proper support can cause doubling and that my sling might have actually made the problem worse. He also confirmed that if I'm not tucking the rifle tightly against my shoulder, doubling can occur. Also, my unfamiliarity with a match trigger could be a contributing factor.

He advised that I try multiple positions first, and if that doesn't work there are other things he can do to the rifle to try to fix the problem.

On my feeding problems:

You wouldn't think that loading an enbloc is a difficult concept but I watched a couple of YT videos and I was definitely just stuffing them in there. The cartridges were not even. The rim (I know they don't really have a rim) is supposed to engage with that inner groove in the enbloc and not protrude forward of it.

I dumped all of my enblocs and reloaded them. At least now, they are all consistent.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Charlie warned me about doubling after he did my trigger job. He said the cause was usually operator error due to the 4.5 lbs trigger.

As I am not a competitive target shooter, I think I will forgo the trigger job on my other Garands.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    It shouldn't. I think he keeps them at 4.5lbs of pull.

That said, when my CMP rifle arrives, I'll keep the combat trigger so I have one of each.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I forgot to mention 2 other problems I encountered.

I had difficulty inserting clips and I had one clip prematurely eject after each round.

After researching this, the inserting problem is probably rough parkerization on some new clips I was using. Some emory paper on the clips should fix this. The premature ejector was probably an aftermarket clip with a poor retention slot. I'll put a little grease on the clip rails as well.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A lighter trigger would certainly increase the chance of doubling. IMHO, most Garands have nice two stage triggers. Not super light, but not so heavy to make accuracy particularly difficult. I can see lightening it if you are match shooting with it. Don’t think it’s hurting my accuracy at all though.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    If it's right at 4.5 or a touch over, sometimes it wont lift a weight once it breaks in.
    It'll get your rifle Dq'd during the inspection period is all.
    No blue sticker and a trip back to the truck to get another rifle or miss your place on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom