• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EsBee

Sep 4, 2020
    Well OP, I will keep buying whatever I can afford and whenever what I need is available. No guarantees that things will get better in the next 4 years.

In the coming months I will look into reloading once I setup a station in my basement.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huge number of brand new owners starting from zero.

As noted above , plenty of shooters would buy the number of rounds they were about to shoot imeadately beforehand , now realize having a cpl hundred rounds is a good thing .

But it's still a semi- free country , You can decide to buy , not buy, or sell as you so choose .

You can decide at what point you can afford , OR consider to be worthwhile in abstract value to You .

Capitalism and Free Markets work (if they aren't excessively F'd with by government regulations ). Not by next week , but sooner than medium term .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    it's easily correctable with a little common sense.

If every single member of this board followed your advice and went 100% cold turkey on new purchases, it would have a laughably small impact on demand. Negligible. Bupkiss. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. Zero.

A "little common sense" involves looking at this tiny audience here in this small, rabidly anti-gun state, and putting it into perspective. Us refusing to buy and expecting a change in a country of over 300M people is like us turning off that extra light in the kitchen, and expecting it to make a measurable difference in greenhouse gas emissions while three billion people in China and India are starting up new coal burning power plants every month.

A supply/demand lecture totally lacking in real-world context doesn't really inspire.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Ok, let me try a different angle. Look, I'm an all in 2A guy, I want our base to grow stronger, not weaker.... Accessibility is key to having a broad base, and accessibility is directly proportional to price. Rich man's game vs everyman's game. You have a lot more people that will participate in hunting/shooting when it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...no different than anything else. Do you blow through your $5/rd shotgun slugs like you blow through your 525 round box of 22LR you got at Walmart? I don't think so, and it's not just because of recoil, hahaha. Besides explicitly taking away our rights, the antis biggest weapon is cost. Why do you think the first move is additional taxes, additional licenses, etc....under the guise of "safety" it generates revenue that's ultimately used against us, and it continually raises the cost of entry/participation. Why was the $200 tax stamp put in place in the first place? Because most couldn't afford it. That alone slowly but surely shrinks the base. I'm just humbly suggesting that we not play along. It's one of the simplest ways to keep us going at no real cost to anyone (besides the resellers)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the good news is when folks starting reaching what they consider adequate/safe levels of ammo and/or reloading supplies, they'll stop buying and demand will settle down. myself, i'm new to reloading and tried to stock up the last two months. now that i have the basics and a couple years out covered, haven't bought much lately. because i also have some ammo in stock, i remained selective on components and never paid anywhere close to gunbroker prices.

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    It’s the perfect storm really. Combine the number of new gun owners with the political climate and Covid and it’s a wonder there is any ammo out there. I haven’t bought any ammo for guns that I’ve owned for years but I built and AR last year and started from scratch gathering ammo. I stood in line at BPS and played the ammo lottery any morning I could and now have enough according to my wife. I will wait until prices come down before I get more.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Even though I probably had enough, I've bought nearly 2k in assorted calibers over the last few months. I even ordered some stuff I thought was too pricey, from a company I've done a lot of business with, since I know they must be hurting due to limited availability.

Also bought some from the classifieds here, that was priced slightly below current market, because why not? If someone wants to make a few bucks off his investment, who am I to complain. After all, the stuff just sits in a box somewhere, doing nothing, until times like this make the buy and hold strategy pay off.

If I had a bit more trust tin the government - like if Trump's election wasn't invalided - I'd have sold a fair amount of my stash, knowing I'd be getting more by and by. But no one is in a position to trust the current government - they don't even trust their own soldiers(!) - so it seemed reasonable to put my money where my beliefs are.

Economics likes to think it's a science, but it's Just Common Sense. You takes your money, and you puts it where you choose. While you're still allowed to do so, that is.

Just read the 1st post - "PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS". So cute. I love it when folks make me smile.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Okay. I promise not to buy any more ammo, so long as everyone here and across the country agrees. Then, if prices somehow fall, I will not immediately buy up everything I can before anyone else realizes I lied. Promise. (crossing heart).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ok, let me try a different angle. Look, I'm an all in 2A guy, I want our base to grow stronger, not weaker.... Accessibility is key to having a broad base, and accessibility is directly proportional to price. Rich man's game vs everyman's game. You have a lot more people that will participate in hunting/shooting when it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...no different than anything else. Do you blow through your $5/rd shotgun slugs like you blow through your 525 round box of 22LR you got at Walmart? I don't think so, and it's not just because of recoil, hahaha. Besides explicitly taking away our rights, the antis biggest weapon is cost. Why do you think the first move is additional taxes, additional licenses, etc....under the guise of "safety" it generates revenue that's ultimately used against us, and it continually raises the cost of entry/participation. Why was the $200 tax stamp put in place in the first place? Because most couldn't afford it. That alone slowly but surely shrinks the base. I'm just humbly suggesting that we not play along. It's one of the simplest ways to keep us going at no real cost to anyone (besides the resellers)

Note the bolded text. You're ignoring your own argument by whining about people stocking up on ammunition, when it's obvious that if and when the Dem administrations can put confiscatory taxes on anything 2A-related, they will do so.

Then what? You think they won't try to put a $5/round tax on everything?

Go ahead and refuse to play along. It's your bet that things won't be made worse. Good luck with that. I even hope you're right, but I'll be damned if I don't choose to hedge my bets, while I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom