• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    There was a used one (6.5 inch barrel) at a local store and they lowered the price to $399.00.

So....I don't have to tell you what happened, do I? :)

Loaded some ammo for it- the minimum load for a certain bullet (can't recall which one it was off the top of my head).

Took it to the range today and shot it.

I really like this gun! It was cold and there was too much snow on the ground so I didn't stay long but I'm looking forward to trying different handloads for it this year!

Pics and video to come.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I have been toying with the idea of getting a 41 Magnum Blackhawk as well. I think the new price I was quoted was about $550 - so that was a nice score.

My (fantasy) usage case is for woods bumming. I have a Uberti 44 Special that I can get about 1000FPS out of with a hard cast Keith 240gr LSWC. That's upper end with this gun.

The 41 Magnum Blackhawk is not breaking a sweat at this power level and essentially the same sized gun. Commercial loads are lots hotter but for me controllability might become problem. It's hard to get a second shot off quickly - unless that low flying aircraft was really the intended target.

My rationalization is if I get the 41 I will not be able to wear out the 41 Magnum or shoot it loose. That's my excuse for wanting a new gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While the ctg is capable of more, and with heavier , my concept for most use of the .41 is 210-220gr cast @ 1200-1300 fps .

Useful level of power, good trajectory , yet more pleasant than std level .44mag . If I want really heavy bullets , I have .44 and Ruger .45 for that . And .38/ .357 for light work .

Conversely , for someone looking for a single , truely all around revolver , which includes hunting of large critters , the .41 is your Huckleberry .

My recently deceased #1 Shooting & handloading partner was a True Believer in .41's . He had wide variety of loads worked up , including a 286gr cast that was both as accurate from Blackhawk as he shot any pistol, and I shot 1.75in @ 100yd from his .41 Marlin .

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have owned both S&W Model 57 and Ruger Redhawks in .41 Rem Mag, but not a Blackhawk. I used to buy my dangerous territory loads from a professional reloader, something like a 255 Keith bullet at 1350 FPS. But for bowling pins I reloaded a light load of a 210-220 FT or semi-jacketed HP with some Unique behind it at around 900 FPS for faster follow-up shots. Very flexible caliber.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Model 57 Glad I'm not the only one who likes a 41 mag. It's just right. :party29:

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
      DSC_0033.jpg
      101 KB · Views: 110

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I just loaded 20 rounds with 210 gr. Berry's plated bullets and 17.6 gr. of Win 296. I'll take the 41 Mag out tomorrow and try these loads out. I think this is as heavy a load I can do with these plated bullets.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I shot the ammo today and they worked out fine.

I can load those bullets to 1250 fps and I loaded up some rounds for that velocity and will shoot them tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom