Remembering Ledo's and Jerry's before they were chains.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    It was terrifying to find the Adelphi original Ledo's had closed.

oh yeah first one I went into, kept hearing about Ledo's, then got hooked
    all the meat( no poultry) extra cheese, oh boy, they would sell it to me
    "half cooked" so we could cook it later. Just had one today, with un-cooked
    bacon, and all the meat, got to keep it level, the grease needs some-where
    to go.:D.... but was goood as always.

-Rock

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Does anyone remember Gentleman Jim's on Veir's Mill Rd. in Rockville. It was always a toss up between GJ's and Zio's off of Shady Grove Rd for my favorite pizza. Sadly both gone.

I ate the same sandwich at Roy's Place in Gaithersburg for at least 30 years, they were far past their prime the last 5 or 6 years before they closed, but the "Louis Nippard" was the best sandwich I've ever eaten.

Rockville had a bunch of restaurants in the 80's that served Dim Sum on weekends, good times

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Does anyone remember Gentleman Jim's on Veir's Mill Rd. in Rockville. It was always a toss up between GJ's and Zio's off of Shady Grove Rd for my favorite pizza. Sadly both gone.

I ate the same sandwich at Roy's Place in Gaithersburg for at least 30 years, they were far past their prime the last 5 or 6 years before they closed, but the "Louis Nippard" was the best sandwich I've ever eaten.

Rockville had a bunch of restaurants in the 80's that served Dim Sum on weekends, good times

Fancy Nancy and Lewd Lester here. Extra golden sauce.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Langley Park back when people spoke English there....

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
      IMG_2443.JPG
      42.5 KB · Views: 248
    • IMG_2445.JPG
      IMG_2445.JPG
      36.9 KB · Views: 240

mrbig381

Nov 5, 2009
    southern Md
    Late seventies Jerry's on St. Barnabas rd. made a sub so packed that you couldn't finish it. I believe it was in the old red barn building in Marlow Heights.
    Same with the Subway on North Capital st. Franchises suck.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I remember the Ledo's in Langley Park down the road from UMD. Back in the day (early 1970's) during football season, if you wanted to order a pizza for carryout, it was a 2 1/2 hour wait as everyone was ordering to pick up their pizzas at halftime.

Great pizza back then. The Shakey's in Langley Park was pretty damn good as well...very basic on the inside...nothing but a few rows of picnic tables. The old Varsity Grille in College Park had $1.00 pizzas as well.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The secret sauce is pretty much what Hot Shoppes put on their Mighty Mo's in the sixties, with a dab of pickle relish I think

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I remember the Ledo's in Langley Park down the road from UMD. Back in the day (early 1970's) during football season, if you wanted to order a pizza for carryout, it was a 2 1/2 hour wait as everyone was ordering to pick up their pizzas at halftime.

Great pizza back then. The Shakey's in Langley Park was pretty damn good as well...very basic on the inside...nothing but a few rows of picnic tables. The old Varsity Grille in College Park had $1.00 pizzas as well.

Langley Park, Adelphi, West Hyattsville, all the above? Grew up there eating ledo's pizza. It made me the man I am today. Jack-in-the-box, Shakey's "Bunch-a-lunch(when we skipped school), there was even a Pizza Hut for those who couldn't wait. Don't forget Jimmy Comers, the bowling alley, and Plain & Fancy donuts. Now I got myself hungry!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Shakey's when I was a kid
    Pizza Gut when I was a teen ager (after HS football game hang out)
    Armand's when I was married before Kids
    Ledo's in Ocean City before it closed.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Shakey's when I was a kid
    Pizza Gut when I was a teen ager (after HS football game hang out)
    Armand's when I was married before Kids
    Ledo's in Ocean City before it closed.

Speaking of OC, when did Fat Daddy's get huge? I remember not too many years ago when it was literally a hole in the wall place. IIRC, an Australian couple owned and ran it. Do they still own it, and has the food changed? They had some really good sandwiches.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Langley Park, Adelphi, West Hyattsville, all the above? Grew up there eating ledo's pizza. It made me the man I am today. Jack-in-the-box, Shakey's "Bunch-a-lunch(when we skipped school), there was even a Pizza Hut for those who couldn't wait. Don't forget Jimmy Comers, the bowling alley, and Plain & Fancy donuts. Now I got myself hungry!

Don't forget the "Porcelain Room" at "Club LT"...Little Tavern.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

I used to live around the corner from Gentleman Jim's by the Air Park on Snouffer School Road...they had great pizza. Zio's was excellent also.

It was sad that Roy's Place went downhill the way it did. They had awesome deli sandwiches.

Now I live outside of Frederick. The best pizzas here are at Brew'd Pub on Route 40-A in Braddock Heights and Il Forno on West Patrick Street.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Trolley Car!!!

Farrell's may be solely responsible for all the fillings in my mouth - I had my best childhood birthdays there though. Marchone's - now Fillippo's - so I'm told, still has the same great subs, but I haven't tried em... I can vouch for the Cannoli's. Totally miss Little Tavern Burgers. Supposedly, a former Little Tavern in Laurel still does the gut grenade burgers, in their donut shop. Don't forget about Trolley Car Pizza! --JB

Went to Good Counsel for 9th grade in 1981. Played football. used to go with the seniors there to drink beer and eat pizza!!!!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Jerry's

Jerry's had good pizza long ago but no more. I wanted to buy some food for an event about a year ago and remembered there was a Jerry's near by so I ordered several to go. God-awful. It was embarrassing. The crust was like these pre-made frozen ones and there was almost no cheese.

Back in the 80's Jerry's had good Roast Beef subs. They no longer even carry that.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Gentleman Jim's

I grew up behind there- actually one block up on Ardennes from 8th grade until married. Used to get pizza from there all the time. They moved to Walnut Hill Shopping Center and now I have no idea. I think there is still one around. I talk to people who still go to one? I used to work at the Rustler Steakhouse in Twinbrook in HS. lolol...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Four Star pizza Redland and Muncaster Mill.

Back in late 80's Four Star pizza was there. Good pizza and buy one get another for a couple bux more. My favorite place was Chesapeake Bay Seafood House on the Pike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom