• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    President Trump needs to issue an order to change this NOW. Its embarrassing to have our military unable to protect themselves while on a base here in the US, and have to rely on the police to come save them while they are "sheltering in place". Its absurd!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I've heard Dover has firearms check boxes to give those who drive to work while carrying a place to disarm at certain gates.

I just finished a project on Dover AFB and saw no such thing at the main gate or the commercial gate

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    The dingleberry here is the local commander dictated EXACTLY how to implement. PC among senior commanding officers is and will always be rampant. Make no decisions, then you make no wrong decisions. Make no wrong decisions, you’ve got a leg up on promotion. Do ya know what every O-6/Wants to be?? O-7/8/9

The second dingleberry is the fact that it would be based on state laws. Couldn't just roll through the Fort Meade, etc gate and gear up while on base, then download before departing to comply with Marylandistan's garbage laws. Even for military, theres no guarantee of carry permit acceptance...

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    The second dingleberry is the fact that it would be based on state laws. Couldn't just roll through the Fort Meade, etc gate and gear up while on base, then download before departing to comply with Marylandistan's garbage laws. Even for military, theres no guarantee of carry permit acceptance...

I have heard via the grapevine that the garrison commander isn't encouraging anyone to make use of the carry policy. Sounds like you would still get screwed if ever stopped there even if you had an O-6 or higher sign off on papers.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yeah, overall DoD security is a joke in my experience. The only security we have at my work are the official DoD "Run Hide Fight" and "100% ID Check" signs posted outside the door. Doors are badge and pin access only, which would be a good thing. . .but they are made of glass so not really. There is unarmed "security" but they dont count.

At my previous job most of the time only 1-2 of the 6+ "guards" checking ID's at the base entrance were armed. Oddly enough the rental cops were the ones that were usually armed. . .the marines/sailors I would see would usually just have a vest that said security. . .saw lots of empty holsters!

It would be nice if I could carry the tools to defend myself because they are providing basically zero security and the security that is there is a joke. I have a few mitigations and plan to add on a few more as funds allow.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    On Pearl Harbor Day I read a story that reminded me of how the Japanese were impressed without how quickly the defenders of the island were able to get ground defenses into action and begin to fire back.

Fast forward to today when our military commanders think that reacting to one guy who's had the time to kill or wound 50 people is an acceptable response.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Remember when I was in the service many moons ago. Had to keep our personal firearm locked in the company arms room. Real PITA when you wanted to go shoot and had to find the company armorer.

Yep. I had to do the same thing. But I was the supply sergeant. I had access to the arms room. :D

Our armorer was also my subordinate.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Anybody in the combat arms profession (at a minimum) carries or can put their hands on a viable weapon in less than a minute. Otherwise, they’d be clerks, eh?

Imo, their prime directive is: survive, protect your buddies and kill evil sumb1tches.

If it ain’t, well then they picked the wrong MOS or career.

“Victim by choice” is a lousy epitaph.

NBF

Jun 26, 2010
    SOMD
    From my experience, if you reside in the dorm, barracks, etc., you must register and store your firearms in the armory. If you’re married and reside in base housing you are allowed to retain them in your home, after registering them.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    From my experience, if you reside in the dorm, barracks, etc., you must register and store your firearms in the armory. If you’re married and reside in base housing you are allowed to retain them in your home, after registering them.

Yes.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Necro, but no point in creating another thread...

Normally, I'd chalk this up to Russian propaganda, but in reviewing the source document RT references, it appears that it's true.

Pentagon panel recommends gun control for US troops​

With America’s military facing a suicide crisis, a study group has suggested blocking service members from buying firearms

A Pentagon advisory panel formed to help address a suicide crisis in the US military has recommend imposing gun control measures on American service members to make it harder for them to kill themselves.
    Soldiers under age 25 would be banned from buying guns on US bases, while all others would face a seven-day waiting period to complete their firearm purchases under a plan released on Friday by the Pentagon’s suicide prevention committee. The group also called for creating a database to track guns purchased on US military property, which would require repealing legislation passed by Congress in 2013 to prohibit such tactics, as well as a waiting period on ammunition sales.

Source DoD report (relevant information pp 57-62): https://media.defense.gov/2023/Feb/24/2003167430/-1/-1/0/SPRIRC-FINAL-REPORT.PDF

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Then no one under 25 should be allowed to serve. Woke ass folks gotta go. I'm so glad I retired when I did, and I will not recommend the Military to a youngster until woke ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom