• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Yesterday, I brought home a NIB Romanian PSL 54C that was ordered from J&G sales. The transfer was done by Dan at GC.

I wasnt really expecting much out of this rifle. Research is non-conclusive as people either like them or classify them as junk. I purchased one to teach my kids how to shoot high powered rifles and the 7.62x54 is still affordable at this time. My kids are also enthusiastic about this as they have been playing with video games that use Dragunov type sniper rifles. ( Resident evil, Call of Duty).Our troops are also encountering these weapons in Iraq and I am curious to find out its true capabilities.

Anyways, This thing cost $749.00 plus shipping and MSP/transfer fees. It came with a TIP2 PSO type 4x Scope, two 10 round mags and other used accessories. The scope is used with a lot of scratches covered up with what looks like auto touch up paint. But is is still clear and usable. It looks like the scope was made by IOR valdada.

The rifles fit is good, finish is rough with minor scratches all over, nothing a little touch up cold blue wouldnt fix. The rifle was packed with a combo of grease/ cosmoline. It took me 3 hours to get most of it out. Some rust spots on the trunnion area , maybe from test firing with corrosive ammo.The bore is bright, Front sight is not canted ( Biggest fear I had), Mags did not fit well, About 5 minutes of filing mag locking tabs corrected the issue. the PSO mounted solid on the side rails with no movement at all. I did all the mechanical checks, including headspace and FCG. All checked out OK.The rifle also has the newer receivers ( without the sear hole) , pinned compensators and assembled in Romania as opposed to a Kit build. Trigger pull is horrible and will have to be replaced. Disassembly is identical to any AK. Internally, this rifle is an overgrown AK. Similarities to an SVD are only superficial.

The stock is fitted snug with no play, all mounting screws are in place. However the Colors are mismatched. The hanguards are blond and the stock is darker. It also has a shellac finish that looks like the kindergarten class of 2009 did. No big deal, I will refinish this anyways at a later time. The sling mount fell off when I was installing the sling. I was able to fix it, but dont trust it to support a heavy rifle. The instructions manual is a Total POS. no detail on how to use the PSO scope and looks worse than a Chinese food takeout menu.

Im going to clean her up some more and take her for a range session next weekend. Im waiting for some Bulgarian light ball from the UPS truck and an 1P21 3x9 zoom scope that was ordered from russia. I am also installing a harris bipod adapter on the front handguard.

Overall, I think the rifle was a good buy ( Actually it was a trade). The mechanical aspect of it is solid as any good AK. Most negatives are cosmetic in nature.I am so tempted right now to get this thing duracoated, but I'll wait until I can confirm that she is a good shooter. Expectations are 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards with surplus light ball ammo should be realistic. I cant wait till next weekend and Ill post pictures and a range report.

by the way, Thanks Dan/GC and Fivepointstar for making this trade possible.:cool:

Left: PSL -54C out of the box ( Mine)
    Right: PSL 54C with Minuta 1P21 variable power scope.( The one that I was drooling over)

Attachments

• PSL54c.jpg
      PSL54c.jpg
      35.7 KB · Views: 1,883
    • 1p21.JPG
      1p21.JPG
      50.3 KB · Views: 1,935
    Last edited:

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    Eagerly awaiting a range report. Be sure to take pictures of the 100 yard group!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It's a fine looking rifle SCAR. Any thoughts on upgrading the scope?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    joppaj,

I am currently waiting on a 1P21 scope. This is a variable power (3-9x) PSO type scope with an automatic rangefinder and different reticle design. I'm also going to replace the trigger with an adjustable type. Other than that, I want to keep it true to its form.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    SCAR, I'm envious. I'll be eagerly awaiting a range report.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have been lusting for a PSL. You a lucky dog :party29:

Yes, I await the range report as well.

Kindest Regards,

-Will

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    I saw one last Friday at The Gun Shack, i think it was used, but I too am very interested in a range report.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    i love the PSL if only for the wow factor. if looks could kill this thing would be sub-MOA and drop em out to 1000 easy. SCAR, your description is right on target with my experience.

i didn't have the teeny precision screwdrivers needed to tweak the scope (it's way out, i ran out of elevation adjustment) but i WILL get back out and get her in soon enough. i need to order a case of light ball too ;O) :thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    3x9 variable power scope, 1P21

This thing is beginning to grow on me. I am used to quality rifles like the SA M1A, HK G3s and FAL-FNs. But i cant afford to shoot these anymore due to the cost of ammo. All these rifles are now officially safe queens.
    The PSL is crude compared to these rifles. But it is also battle tested in the harshest conditions in the sandbox. In a way, it is as simple as it gets. It is an AK and that is actually a good thing. For I am planning to shoot cases of corrosive ammo thru this thing.Wont treat this one like a geriatric patient. I actually washed my PSL with soap and boiling water yesterday.You wont see me do that with an M1A. No fragile glass/ pillar bedding to worry about. It is a tool and can be treated as so. I have spent yesterday cleaning and lubricating this rifle. All I need now is the ammo and some range time. Darn,This thing may actually bring back the enjoyment in target shooting.It is reasonably accurate and affordable. I feel like a kid with a brand new toy in Christmas morning.
    Better yet, Its not a 22LR but full powered 7.62 X54R semi-auto.

The 1P21 scope is really nice. It is the current scope issued with SVD's is designed to track moving targets. It also mounts lower as to minimize Height over bore and improve cheekweld. These things are also designed to be mounted on Machineguns and can take a lot of abuse. It is much bigger and heavier than the TIP2 scope but the extra weight should help dampen recoil. Plus it looks cool. This should be deadly to plastic soda bottles and paper plates at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 3-9x42_scope.JPEG
      3-9x42_scope.JPEG
      19 KB · Views: 1,307
    Last edited:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    You do know you can't shoot just any old 7.62x54R in that... It needs to be light ball... The heavy ball will batter the hell out of the rear trunion

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Let me know how you like the 1P21. I have the standard 4x PSO-1 on my NDM-86 and am not a fan of it (the lines of the reticle are so fine it's ridiculously hard to see).

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Saw one of those puppies up at the gun show in King of Prussia the other weekend...was going for about $650.00 but didn't have all the bells and whistles yours did...it looks nice!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I really want one of those, I just hope the supply of cheap ammo doesnt run dry. I have also heard you should only shoot light ball in them?

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Having had one in the past 2 things you may want to be aware of.
    The barrell heats up incredibly fast and ruins accuracy---just bring another rifle.
    You must warn people 15-20 feet in back and to your right about the hot shells being tossed that way. I was pissing people off because of where my shells were landing--it was sort of funny.
    Have fun you will love all the comments you get. Bud

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    have you ever bought a gun and said "ok this is the last one im gonna get for a little while,im pretty content with what i got now" ????? I said that last week when I was at midcountygunshop forkin over cash for my ak... yah that thought is history now thanks bud and there goes the last slot in my safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom