• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngusNGuns

Nov 27, 2019
    If I completed the Maryland hunters safety course back in 2003 do I still have to take the 4 hour Maryland handgun training class? One gun store tells me yes and another tells me no.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I believe you have to suppy documents to prove you completed hunter safety for the course exemption. If you have proof you took it then it may be accepted. If not take the Texas hunter safety course online. It’s inexpensive, can be done from your computer, and is an acceptable form of exemption.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Hunter safety exempts you from training requirement. I assume that you still have your card/certificate. If not you'll need to get a replacement (see here: https://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/HunterSafetyCard.aspx).

Who is saying that this does not exempt you, please out them.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx
    Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

If some gun store told you that hunter safety did not exempt you from HQL training, I personally would not go back there.

AngusNGuns

Nov 27, 2019
    Yes I still have my card to prove I did the course. But the place telling me it’s not acceptable is saying because it’s over 10 years old then it won’t be valid.... like I said, I did it back in 2003. Then again, the place telling me no also does the safety class and all the paperwork and fingerprinting all at the same time.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Yes I still have my card to prove I did the course. But the place telling me it’s not acceptable is saying because it’s over 10 years old then it won’t be valid.... like I said, I did it back in 2003. Then again, the place telling me no also does the safety class and all the paperwork and fingerprinting all at the same time.

Find a livescan location to get your prints done, scan your card as proof, and upload the relevant documentation and complete the online form here. https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

There are Livescan locations all over MD, don't waste your time and money because one LGS wants to make a buck.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

If push comes to shove, just take the Online Only TX Hunter Safety Course.

I did back in December of last year and it worked without incident for my HQL.

Was $18 back then but I believe it is $28 now.

Any DNR course works, so this one will satisfy the requirement without a field day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom