• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2017
    What will replace the Remington 700 as the standard bolt gun? What will replace the 870 as the standard pump shotgun?

I see my old pre-Remington Marlin lever guns going up in value.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    America’s “continued softness in consumer demand for firearms” ? Nice try LIBERAL MEDIA. Do a little research. The market is flooded, with many good guns and prices getting better all the time. We simply can’t buy them all. This was bound to happen, when HRC looked like the front runner, the “scare” started, this is simply the end result of that.

I’m a Remington fanboy, have been since about 12 yrs old (over 37 years) thanks to my Father. Sadly big R hasn’t really kept up with their reputation, though they still make some really good products. Their customer service has been non-existent, and many of the newer products have missed the mark badly. Maybe this report will cause a cleaning of the house, and some fresh blood brought in to right the ship. A fanboy can only hope.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The firearms manufacturing biz is cyclical ( with a lower floor ) . Like any industry there is trade off of expansion of capacity and/ or having product on hand to capitalize on short notice and medium notice demand peaks.

Taking a stab at reading the future, and the risk/ reward ratios for various scenarios is what capitalism is all about.

The relatively new and modern mfg facilities aren't going anywhere. The intellectual property of their designs aren't going anywhere . Together they are too valuable ( aka to much in demand ) to not be made .

Just won't necessarily be with same ownership group , and stockholders in current group might or might not be hating life. But 3 months after Remington Outdoors hypothetically collaspes , the new ownership will spin off a cpl of the previously independent units , and touting the New & Improved Remington Arms.

Relatively recently, the asslicking , gun control apeasing British ownership of S&W destroyed the brand , to the point they exited with a capitalized market value 1/10th of where they started . But the physical assets and intellectual property was still there, the sucuessor ownership was at least peripherally familar with the gun biz , and it took off again to great success.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Like most of the gun industry, Remington bet heavily on the Hildebeest winning the White House...and lost. Excess capacity...excess production...excess hiring...all played into the glut of guns and ammunition on the market today. Some companies are simply better able to weather it than others.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is why the first company that works on Gun Culture 3.0 will make a fortune. The market for ARs, 1911s, and Glock knock-offs is saturated. Completely.

Time for something new.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think just about everything the three-headed dog touches ends up like this. IIRC Chrysler ended up close to belly up and had to be saved.

I've never been a big Remington fan, two of the three I have were inherited and the third is a very old 511 .22rf from when there was quality to be had.

In the 70's i had a 760 carbine in .30-06 that was a jam-o-matic. No rhyme or reason when, it just did and became one of the few guns I've ever sold.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    America’s “continued softness in consumer demand for firearms” ? Nice try LIBERAL MEDIA. Do a little research. The market is flooded, with many good guns and prices getting better all the time. We simply can’t buy them all. This was bound to happen, when HRC looked like the front runner, the “scare” started, this is simply the end result of that.

I’m a Remington fanboy, have been since about 12 yrs old (over 37 years) thanks to my Father. Sadly big R hasn’t really kept up with their reputation, though they still make some really good products. Their customer service has been non-existent, and many of the newer products have missed the mark badly. Maybe this report will cause a cleaning of the house, and some fresh blood brought in to right the ship. A fanboy can only hope.

Ah, liberal media? Are the facts that uncomfortable? Take a look at gun stocks the days after Trump was elected. The VAST majority of gun sales are to customers that already have some. They tend to hoard when Democrats control things. What do you thing think the market would be right now if Hillary had won? Sellers market, not buyers market.

Some very quality manufactures are giving very nice rebates. Browning, Walther, Ruger to name a few. Over half of America's firearms are owned by 3% of gun owners.
    The current market will weed out the weak players for sure. Gun sales look to be getting more Internet and prices cutting margins thin for dealers. One LGS I go to is more like a FFL clearing house transferring guns ordered online than it's own in house sales. They are smart, they promote it not fight it as many dealers have.

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    ^^^BINGO^^^

Last time I bought a firearm from a LGS was 3 years ago and I’ll never do it again. I was just getting back into firearms again after a 15 year hiatus. I paid almost 2x what I would have paid on-line between the ridiculous retail price they charged and the taxes. This shop will not discount. They also wanted to charge me 2x-3x’s what other shops charge to handle transfers to bring firearms into State.

Now I have an FFL that charges $30 bucks for transfers in State and they are located about 3 miles from my home. Can’t beat that!

PS -I’ll keep using Engage for my NFA transfers, they’re great people with which to work. Thank you T Bostic for introducing me to Carlos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Has anyone seen this report anywhere else? One article from a Philadelphia newspaper does not make for a factual report. I'd bet they are taking some portions of a report from Remington and have embellished that to be more than what was reported. I'm sure every manufacturer is heavy laden with stock after the Trump surprise win. Imagine how many AR15 styled rifles are sitting on manufacturer's shelves. We've already seen what happened with the ammo industry. Prices have come down a great deal and of course availability is not an issue any longer.

This is fake news used to panic the gun industry. Keep walking folks, there's no story here.

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    Has anyone seen this report anywhere else? One article from a Philadelphia newspaper does not make for a factual report. I'd bet they are taking some portions of a report from Remington and have embellished that to be more than what was reported. I'm sure every manufacturer is heavy laden with stock after the Trump surprise win. Imagine how many AR15 styled rifles are sitting on manufacturer's shelves. We've already seen what happened with the ammo industry. Prices have come down a great deal and of course availability is not an issue any longer.

This is fake news used to panic the gun industry. Keep walking folks, there's no story here.

Easy enough to find out. Check S&P for the report.

And not everything you don’t want to see is fake news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

I'd bet they are taking some portions of a report from Remington and have embellished that to be more than what was reported. I'm sure every manufacturer is heavy laden with stock after the Trump surprise win. Imagine how many AR15 styled rifles are sitting on manufacturer's shelves. We've already seen what happened with the ammo industry. Prices have come down a great deal and of course availability is not an issue any longer.

Yes, reading the text objectively, it seems like a S&P is doing what they do as financial analysts -- assessing the market forces affecting a company's status and financial health. However, in this case, a subtext is added by the author of the article. Namely, trying to convey that Americans are turning away from guns, and implying the "continued softness" is a long-term trend (both past and future), which is clearly NOT the case! All gunmakers were making money hand over fist for the last eight years. It's only in the last year, that demand has softened at all.

I don't think it's aimed at the gun industry, rather it's directed at readers who don't know the reality of the situation with the goal of convincing them that "see...people don't want guns anymore." It's in the same vein as the studies which "prove" that fewer U.S. households have firearms than in the past, based on a phone survey. Of course, the explanation is that over the last several decades guns have become such a hot-button issue that Americans have become much, MUCH more reluctant to admit that they have/own them, especially to an anonymous person on the phone.

JoeR

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The trigger on the RP9 is horrible. It's too bad, because it's a great looking, great feeling gun. What part of "crisp break" can't Remington future out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom