• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    The updated and highly-rated Shotstop GT2 plates are actually in stock at https://www.venture-tactical.com

These plates are lighter and thinner than their ceramic/UHDPE counterparts. 10% off with code on website and additional discounts for first responders.

DuritiumGT2SCVT1_93d8f7d3-59fb-495c-ac33-539449fdc03f_1024x1024.jpg

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    What do you guys think of these:

Level IV HESCO 4401 Set of 2?

They seem to be very inexpensive compared to what I have been seeing - makes me feel like I am missing a drawback/limitation or something.

Great plates for the money. NIJ lvl IV certified and made by a reputable company. Kota outfitters is G2G. They have a huge following on reddit for deals. However I bet that backorder is 8+ weeks right now. Great deal though.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    What do you guys think of these:

Level IV HESCO 4401 Set of 2?

They seem to be very inexpensive compared to what I have been seeing - makes me feel like I am missing a drawback/limitation or something.

Good plates from a reputable company. Downsides are that they're only single curve and are on the heavy side. Solid choice for plates if you're not planning on spending a lot of time running around in them.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Great plates for the money. NIJ lvl IV certified and made by a reputable company. Kota outfitters is G2G. They have a huge following on reddit for deals. However I bet that backorder is 8+ weeks right now. Great deal though.

Good plates from a reputable company. Downsides are that they're only single curve and are on the heavy side. Solid choice for plates if you're not planning on spending a lot of time running around in them.

You guys sound pretty knowledgeable on the topic. Can you recommend any sites to do research? I'm as green as can be on them.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    You guys sound pretty knowledgeable on the topic. Can you recommend any sites to do research? I'm as green as can be on them.

I'm definitely no expert, but I've watched a couple youtube videos so... :shrug:

I can't vouch for the quality of the guidance here, but it's a decent place to start researching: https://old.reddit.com/r/QualityTacticalGear/comments/cmkton/armor_purchasing_guide/

tldr; buy ceramic instead of steel, buy from an NIJ certified manufacturer, and lightweight multi-curve plates are nice but expensive

Also, many places are on 6-8 week backorders at the moment.

Finally received my ar500 plates, it took just over 11 weeks. They weigh in at 22lbs with carrier. Feels a bit heavier then I thought it would, its deffinetly going to take some getting used to. It was extremely uncomfortable at first but it got better after some adjustments and wearing it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom