• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I dislike pump guns in general and specifically for shooting clays. They deliver a lot of recoil, especially with the off-the-shelf ammo their owner is likely using. Their operation, while reliable, is "manual" interfering with a quick smooth second shot. Their stock configuration and handling is comparatively awkward.

I would suggest a gas operated semi-auto. Good guns from Mossberg, Weatherby, Tristar, CZ and even Remington and Beretta can be found new and used around the $500 mark.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Dont know much about shotguns except they go BOOM :lol2:

Looking to by an inexpensive one for clays in the backyard.

So far I have found the Remington 870 with a 28in barrel and a Mossberg 500
    24in barrel . What other inexpensive shotguns will be good for clays and home defense ? Was looking for a 30 inch barrel but think 28 inch will do.

If an IP say if you have it in stock...

That's what I started with, R870 with a modified barrel. A Mossberg 500 12GA is good, too. They're about the same gun.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    That's a good start, I'm guessing your using a spring loaded launcher or a hand launcher?
    Shooting those clays are easier than shooting trap, skeet or sporting clays.
    The "lest expensive" shotgun I have that will shoot clays is a single shot I got used from Duffy's for $150
    Better than nothing for home defense but not nearly as good for HD as an 870 or 500

My 870 set up for defense has a 20" cylinder barrel
    longer barrel is easier for shooting clays

My M 500 has an 18" barrel and a pistol grip, loaded with the 2.5" 00Buck and slugs, alternately.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My M 500 has an 18" barrel and a pistol grip, loaded with the 2.5" 00Buck and slugs, alternately.

okay... why? Just use buck. 4 bk at minimum, preferably low recoil 1 buck or low recoil 00. You can keep a segmented slug or two on the side, but don't know why you'd want to suprise yourself from shot to shot with what is going to come out.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Soo, I have fun with my Mossberg Maverick 88 with 18" barrel. Below is a pic of one with a 22" barrel. Barrels are available in 18",22", 26", 28".

The pic below is one from Sportsman's Warehouse for $199.

Attachments

• Maverick 88.GIF
      Maverick 88.GIF
      14.6 KB · Views: 201

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    How about just starting where you will end....get an over and under either 20 or 12 gauge with 24 or 28 inch barrels, auto eject, and single trigger......

28” will cover most clay shooting. I wouldn’t go 24.

The first shotgun I ever bought was a Browning Broadway F/IM. Built in ‘68. Shot a lot of clays, ducks and geese with that gun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Dont know much about shotguns except they go BOOM :lol2:

Looking to by an inexpensive one for clays in the backyard.

So far I have found the Remington 870 with a 28in barrel and a Mossberg 500
    24in barrel . What other inexpensive shotguns will be good for clays and home defense ? Was looking for a 30 inch barrel but think 28 inch will do.

If an IP say if you have it in stock...

OP here is one thing that I would consider is fact and not theory like what you get with you tube videos for penetration, killing power and what will and will not go through walls etc. and probably the most important thing to consider when buying a shotgun. It is also what makes an expensive shotgun the same as a budget model for when it comes down to cutting nuts.

FIT. If your gun shoots to a different place than your looking it will affect pattern density, killing target breaking power how many pellets and remaining energy to kill a duck and all that happy horse shit.

You mentioned a gun with a thirty inch barrel and here is how it works. If the barrel is thirty inches long then for that instance there are 1440 inches in 40 yards. Into which 30 inches goes goes 48 times.
    Every one hundredth of an inch lower or higher than the 1/4 inch from above the standing breech will make a difference of about a half inch of alignment at 40 yards.
    So then by changing the stock or position of the face so the eye is directed an 8th inch higher or lower than the standing breech will alter the sight adjustment and location of the pattern about 6 inch's at 40 yards.

The trick is knowing where your looking and how it relates to how the gun fits you because its hard to gauge. If you mount a gun differently every time and your alignment is off by that much your pattern density and shot cloud will change and the gun appear to shoot differently nearly every-time whether it be a weekly trip into the goose pit or a short walk to the next station.

Take a plastic drinking straw with you when you try something out and tape it over the breech or the rib. By closing your eyes and the mounting the gun and then opening them quickly you should be looking through the straw and then seeing the bead muzzle and proposed target if you can approximate the technique without making gross adjustments to your head.
    Manufacturers have to make a gun fit a lot of different people. Theirs no sense in selecting one that doesn't fit if you want to have something decent on the cheap, kill some rocks or throw that M(*&^ in the river or stuff it down a gopher hole if you have the wrong plug in a 3 1/2 gun, shot to late had one more than you should have at the ramp or whatever.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    How about just starting where you will end....get an over and under either 20 or 12 gauge with 24 or 28 inch barrels, auto eject, and single trigger......

cause i am not sure if i will like clay shooting :party29:

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    cause i am not sure if i will like clay shooting :party29:

I’ve never met anyone that didn’t enjoy shooting clays. I’ve actually converted several rifle and pistol shooters to shotgun shooters. To the point that they rarely ever shoot the rifles or handguns anymore. It’s a lot more social than the rifle range too. There’s an instant feedback with breaking a clay target that you don’t get from punching paper. I always advise people to get a good pump or auto as opposed to a cheap over and under. By cheap over and under I mean a condor or CZ or Huglu. If you’re not willing to buy a browning or Beretta over and under then stick with a Remington or Beretta semiautomatic.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    just got home from picking up my 870 from Jlowes!!! No picture yet as the wife is checking it out. 12 gauge is too much for her but a girl can dream

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    just got home from picking up my 870 from Jlowes!!! No picture yet as the wife is checking it out. 12 gauge is too much for her but a girl can dream
    There are 1 ounce, light 12 shells available. I've used them for classes, very easy to shoot!! Some semis don't like them, but that 870 will eat them all day long.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    There are 1 ounce, light 12 shells available. I've used them for classes, very easy to shoot!! Some semis don't like them, but that 870 will eat them all day long.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Thanks , but thinking (making my life easier) is to get her a 20 or 410 for Mothers Day. If Jlowe had one of them I would of walked out with 2. :lol:

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Thanks , but thinking (making my life easier) is to get her a 20 or 410 for Mothers Day. If Jlowe had one of them I would of walked out with 2. :lol:

Go with a 20ga. A 410 is a gun for an experienced shooter. And has limited utility. And the shells are expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom