• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    you fellas running subsonic, how is your accuracy? I've yet to have accurate loads out of anything I've done subsonic. Maybe its me or my optics but even the sig and TK ammo using Amax bullets are coming out 2-3MOA @ 50 yards. I"m even on my second barrel on my SBR

I am getting 1.5” at worst from 245gr Missouri Bullet Company’s over I believe 11.5gr IMR4227 and CCI standard small rifle primer. And there is less than an inch of movement between 50 & 100 yds.
    Using a H&R AAC single shot. 1-7 twist.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am getting 1.5” at worst from 245gr Missouri Bullet Company’s over I believe 11.5gr IMR4227. And there is less than an inch of movement between 50 & 100 yds.
    That's pretty amazing!
    Book marked...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm close to your sub load. I'm running 12.2gr CFE BLK with 220gr Berry's and a SRMP. I found the magnum primers cut my load standard deviation in more than half from regular primers. Runs in my gun suppressed and non but I rarely shoot it without the can. I also get great feeding from standard pmags.

My supersonic load is 19.2gr lil gun under a Speer TNT 110gr with SRP. Getting average of 1950 fps. Haven't really messed with supers much but that's what I'm running for now.

I tried CCI SRMs vs SR and didn't notice a difference in velocity or SD, although didn't run all that many through the chrony, and it was a hot day, will have to try it out again, looking to stamp out another run of them, and haven't nabbed primers yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm close to your sub load. I'm running 12.2gr CFE BLK with 220gr Berry's and a SRMP. I found the magnum primers cut my load standard deviation in more than half from regular primers. Runs in my gun suppressed and non but I rarely shoot it without the can. I also get great feeding from standard pmags.

My supersonic load is 19.2gr lil gun under a Speer TNT 110gr with SRP. Getting average of 1950 fps. Haven't really messed with supers much but that's what I'm running for now.
    My go to sub primer is Remington 7 1/2 SBRP recommended to me by AP of TK Defence.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I tried CCI SRMs vs SR and didn't notice a difference in velocity or SD, although didn't run all that many through the chrony, and it was a hot day, will have to try it out again, looking to stamp out another run of them, and haven't nabbed primers yet.

Just pulled in up in my Chrono app and the SD for regular primers with 12.2 CFE BLK was 41.5 the SD when I switched to magnum was 19.75. So a little better than half. I usually wouldn't chase that but with subs I wanted it tighter.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I am getting 1.5” at worst from 245gr Missouri Bullet Company’s over I believe 11.5gr IMR4227 and CCI standard small rifle primer. And there is less than an inch of movement between 50 & 100 yds.

You are getting less that 1" of drop from 50 to 100 yards? How is that possible?

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    You are getting less that 1" of drop from 50 to 100 yards? How is that possible?

I am just as confused. It defies my whole 10 years of reloading experience. I was shooting their 215gr blackout bullets and getting 8” drops. For whatever reason the 245grs group much better and have far less drop from that H&R rifle. Convinced me to shoot nothing else.

BenSpelledABC

Jun 11, 2020
    Any of them that make the bullet leave the barrel in a “safe” manor.

Buy a reloading book. There are several loads in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I am just as confused. It defies my whole 10 years of reloading experience. I was shooting their 215gr blackout bullets and getting 8” drops. For whatever reason the 245grs group much better and have far less drop from that H&R rifle. Convinced me to shoot nothing else.

It looks like you're probably right at the published max with 4227, and likely supersonic. What length barrel?

Same powder and charge in the 215 gr load?

Need velocities to actually figure this out. Got a chronograph?

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    It looks like you're probably right at the published max with 4227, and likely supersonic. What length barrel?

Same powder and charge in the 215 gr load?

Need velocities to actually figure this out. Got a chronograph?

No chronograph yet. Doesn’t seem to have the supersonic crack with or without the can. I’ve fired many rounds through this rifle ranging from 110gr, 125gr, 150gr, 180gr, 215gr lead, 220gr fmj, and 245gr lead. It hates anything below 180gr. I’m not trying to gain anyone’s admiration. Just my results from my rifle.
    It sounds great through AAC 762SD. The rifle has the factory 16.1” barrel. I couldn’t find verifiable load data for that bullet but saw a couple guys using 220gr FMJ data. I of course started at a point I was comfortable with and worked it until happy with group size and performance. It surprised me once I brought it to 100yds and saw I didn’t have to hold over using the scope hash marks. It has repeated the same nice results at 3+ range sessions.
    I am not in front of my data right now but I think the 215gr MBC was 9.5gr IMR4227. I got similar results using W296. 215gr MBC 8.5gr; 245gr MBC 10.5. W296 gave a slightly stiffer recoil but no significant shift compared to IMR4227.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was ringing 10" steel at 170 yards last weekend with:

Hornady 220g ELD-X over 10.6g A-1680

10.5" SBR

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    any particular reason why that primer? I am still in load development but have been using standard small rifle primers....

My go to sub primer is Remington 7 1/2 SBRP recommended to me by *AP of TK Defence.
    For no other reason than AP uses them on his subs that he re-manufactures for sale. He recommends hotter primers for loading 300Blk subsonics(magnum, benchrest, etc). I believe the reasoning is you get a more consistent burn/velocity, which is important when maintaining highest velocities while still staying just below supersonic speed.

*https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Gun-Store/Amalgamated-Cartridge-llc-206724096549104/

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    For no other reason than AP uses them on his subs that he re-manufactures for sale. He recommends hotter primers for loading 300Blk subsonics(magnum, benchrest, etc). I believe the reasoning is you get a more consistent burn/velocity, which is important when maintaining highest velocities while still staying just below supersonic speed.

Interesting, I have some CCI small rifle magnum primers I got by mistake with nothing to put them in. I'll make up some next batch of subs I"m playing with just to see if I notice any difference.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    It was supposed to be short barreled rifle with a ten and a half inch barrel. I guess I hit shift while reaching for the 1. I always do sh!t like that...:lol2:

oh HAHAH yes. that makes a LOT more sense. the software programmer in me was trying to say 'not 0.5 inch sbr'. to which i say, thank good because a 0.5 inch sbr isn't long enough! some say size doesn't matter. i say, sometimes you can do a lot with .3 of an inch but if you ride the titanic, you're bound to sink.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    oh HAHAH yes. that makes a LOT more sense. the software programmer in me was trying to say 'not 0.5 inch sbr'. to which i say, thank good because a 0.5 inch sbr isn't long enough! some say size doesn't matter. i say, sometimes you can do a lot with .3 of an inch but if you ride the titanic, you're bound to sink.
    Yep. My .5" gun is a different story...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom