• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Confession, I don’t own any printed loading manuals, I use the powder and bullet Mfg online data and my own crono testing.

Two questions I always Find difficult to answer online are 1) what are the versatile powders for a weight range bullet, 2) what powder can best reach a desired FPS value for a weight bullet.

I recently stumbled upon the load manual app from Sierra bullets and it’s really helpful. While I’m sure others will balk at its lack of one powder or another, I find the FPS slider and powder and pressure warnings very intuitive.

Anyway, it’s another free data source to use if you want or don’t if you don’t, I’m just putting it out there as something I’m using more and more.

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=290414&stc=1&d=1595159801

Attachments

• 25A3BB25-C111-4145-8529-892E6C606507.jpg
      25A3BB25-C111-4145-8529-892E6C606507.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 260

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Can never have enough resources. Thanks for posting this.

I agree. I have the paid version of the Sierra app and it lists a number of powders for the many cartridges. Sierra has always had great manuals.

Mike, I recall a time when handloaders were more concerned with accuracy than velocity. Times have changed I guess.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I agree. I have the paid version of the Sierra app and it lists a number of powders for the many cartridges. Sierra has always had great manuals.

Mike, I recall a time when handloaders were more concerned with accuracy than velocity. Times have changed I guess.

Don’t get me wrong, I strive for both in as much as possible, so these data are just hints or reference points. The thread on getting 1500fps from 158gr 357mag is an example. And looking for a starting powder to take a 300gr .338 SMK out as flat as possible, then dialing in the accuracy.

Never relay on one source nor load for one variable...

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Understood. I have a bunch of manuals and use them all. Can never have enough info. Much of my loading is wildcats and data is scarce so I use Quickload quite a bit. Started out with a Sierra manual back in 1974 and they had a long list of powders they would list.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I paid 5 bucks for this. Is it free now? I use it but I can tell you that 357 load data (velocity) is pure lies. Cut 250 fps off their test gun.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I paid 5 bucks for this. Is it free now? I use it but I can tell you that 357 load data (velocity) is pure lies. Cut 250 fps off their test gun.

EXTREMELY limited edition is free. Didn't even look at the paid version price, but assume it's about what you paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom