• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Long time resident. Used to frequent Gilbert's when they were on the second floor of 1776 Plaza, and even gave that big guy that used to work there and/or was Dick Gilbert's business partner, Bart, Burt, don't recall his name but he shot Garands competitively, my Circuit City discount.:D

This to say, I've patronized a number of local, and not so local, FFLs over the years, but am not as active as I used to be. My usual FFL is closed for business, I'm selling some things, and was wondering if you all could recommend an FFL that's currently open, and doesn't charge too much to ship a handgun or two out of state.

Feel free to post below or private message me.

Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone stays safe!

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Biggfoot44, I'm trying to find an FFL in MD that will ship any guns that I may sell to out of state buyers. It's a lot less involved than transferring a firearm, basically logging it in and out of a bound book, and taking to a post office, or handing it to a postal carrier.

BartExp, thanks for the heads-up! I'll look them up!

Thank you both for the replies!

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Pretty sure that you can ship directly to an FFL receiving a firearm in another state on behalf of your buyer. I don't think you need to ship from an FFL here. Just don't use USPS for a handgun (long guns are OK).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Pretty sure that you can ship directly to an FFL receiving a firearm in another state on behalf of your buyer. I don't think you need to ship from an FFL here. Just don't use USPS for a handgun (long guns are OK).

THIS. OP, you can shit them to an FFL in another state via FedEx or UPS (I believe next day, not 100% sure on that part).
    The buyer goes to that FFL does the paperwork and gets the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Just going through this. Local FFL fee $25. UPS $25. You can send off a handgun at a UPS customer service location, If you find them open to customers.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, you could send it yourself but some individuals do not feel comfortable doing that. I know you cannot use USPS but UPS and FedEx should be fine.

I have not used them personally but Gunrunners in Frederick has shipped stuff for a few of my friends and I have never heard any complaints with their service/cost.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Guys, thanks for the feedback! A few years ago, when I was more active in collecting, I researched this, and at the time the law required that non-FFLs (Type03 doesn't count) use carriers such as UPS and Fedex (they don't mention them by name, but those are basically the two options...and they know it) to ship handguns and that the item be there in 2 or 3 days (I have to revisit the regulations). FFLs, such as the one I use when I buy guns and have transferred to me can ship via USPS, which normally is a lot less expensive, even when you factor in a reasonable fee charged by the FFL for shipping. The FFL I've used for a couple or so years for transfers is afraid to get sick, so that's the reason I'm asking for suggestions for FFLs currently open for business.

Now, over the years I have had manufacturers issue me call tags, whereby UPS picks stuff up going back for service at my house, and delivers to my house when done. I'm not sure what type of FFL one needs to do that, or if it comes out any cheaper than me going to the UPS center in Gaithersburg to ship, afterall it's still UPS and not USPS, but I'm researching that option right now, as the person who is interested in buying a couple of pistols for me to ship out of state apparently has a business FFL (I don't know the type).

Thanks again!

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo

Just to add:

I have heard of folks sending a handgun UPS ground, without specifying what's in the box, with no issues. This makes sense, since you don't want to identify it as a "STEAL ME" package. This is where the overnight policy began - a group of UPS employees were stealing guns that came through the depot (in Laurel, at least), going back about 25 years. Naturally, because UPS crooks were doing the stealing, an opportunity to extract more money from innocent customers was seized upon. Regular ground shipping takes an extra day, but saves the $$$. Just saying.

I, of course, would never do such a thing...

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Just to add:

I have heard of folks sending a handgun UPS ground, without specifying what's in the box, with no issues. This makes sense, since you don't want to identify it as a "STEAL ME" package. This is where the overnight policy began - a group of UPS employees were stealing guns that came through the depot (in Laurel, at least), going back about 25 years. Naturally, because UPS crooks were doing the stealing, an opportunity to extract more money from innocent customers was seized upon. Regular ground shipping takes an extra day, but saves the $$$. Just saying.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just to add:

And if you do that, and it is lost or damaged, you are SOL. They will NOT cover the loss, as you violated their terms of service.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Newsflash. They don't pay anyway. I was a victim of the UPS theft ring mentioned in my post above. UPS said that that, since a box (empty of guns because they were stolen by THEIR employees) was delivered, they were not responsible. I had to take UPS, the FFL, and Colts to small claims court. I won.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Kat at TK Defense in Gaithersburg can take care of any shipping or transfers you need. She is also an SOT/class 3 dealer. 301-908-8082.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Many FFL's refuse to accept a gun from a non licensee unless it is delivered in person. It is because of the requirement to verify ID of the person the fun is coming from.

Feb 28, 2013
    Many FFL's refuse to accept a gun from a non licensee unless it is delivered in person. It is because of the requirement to verify ID of the person the fun is coming from.

Shouldnt be a issue if a copy of your DL goes with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom