• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Braxtonian

Dec 10, 2010
    Greencastle, PA
    What would be the consequences if large portions of the house refused to pass any legislation that the senate had already passed as long as frosh keeps pigeon holing the house bill?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It would make it a toxic issue and Frosh would have to relent.

Unfortunately, we don't have anywhere near enough committed members to apply the pressure needed for that.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Nice write-up ...

I suited up with the sandwich board and by 8am was walking my “beat,” on Bladen Street, around the State Building and along West street.

My first encounter was with a casually dressed gent who obviously had a place to go, but took the time to ask what MSI was about, accepted a flyer, and told me to “keep up the good work.”

The second fellow was manning the parking garage window and stepped out onto the sidewalk to ask about MSI. Though wearing a Vietnam veteran hat, he was noncommittal on the issue. When I mentioned protecting one’s wife, for example, he seemed to retreat inside himself, as though perhaps he didn’t have a spouse or had lost her.

Several cars honked their horns along the way and on the long stretch of Bladen Street headed out of the city; i.e., walking against incoming traffic, one young lady rolled down her winder and gave me a thumb’s up. Another, walking toward me, read the sign and said “I’m with you guys.”

Back in town a man and woman headed into one of the government buildings stopped to chat. She remained quiet, but the man was obviously not adverse to our message, but told me that with Maryland politics being what it is, he didn’t think we’d succeed. I told him we get no where if we give up.

With that I met up with Boxcab and headed for a coffee break.

My most productive encounter was with a middle aged black woman who spent at least twenty minutes asking all sorts of questions and very receptive to my answers. She spoke of her late grandmother who lived in Baltimore and carried a small hand gun in her purse because she was afraid to walk from her house to the trolley. I told her it was MSI’s mission to ensure folks like her grandmother won’t have to break the law to be safe. Her eyes glistened.

She asked who were the worst on gun issues – Democrats or Republicans. I told her that statistically it was the former, but pointed out that there are some pro-gun democrats and that one, Dan Riley, actually proposed a CCW bill. She winced a little when I told her Dan had lost his reelection bid.

She couldn’t believe that until last year a homeowner exonerated of justifiably killing an intruder could be sued in civil court, perhaps ending up losing the family’s savings including the house that was defended. She asked who did that - Democrat or Republican – and I gave her Frosh’s name. Her response…”That ain’t right.”

I told her that we need more minorities to join MSI…more seniors…more women. She asked for a brochure and seemed glad that I also offered her my e-mail address.

We discussed at some length the need to get the black community involved. That MLK was denied a handgun permit in Alabama. That many in the black community are fearful to publicize their ownership of firearms. That in PG County, for example, it may be reminiscent of their distrust in the police.

On the last leg of my journey a gent named Leroy managed to catch up with me…he said every time he got close, the crossing lights wouldn’t cooperate. Turns out he is Paul’s dad (I told him I wouldn’t hold that against him). We managed to meet up with Paul and several others for lunch at the Ram’s Head Tavern. Nice end to a productive day.

Thanks Ramblin'

We should collect these casual, on-the-street encounters and present them to Del Smigiel, so if any other board-carriers have input, post it here. It's one thing to give testimony at the hearing, but these anecdotes are really the views of the people and they should be heard.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Hopefully I will get there early enough tomorrow to get one. Maybe I could make up some cardboard pamplet holsters to wear with the "Ask me about my empty holster shirts". It has very similar results.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I am always meeting MDer's who agree with me on shall-issue. I've been through 3 sets of MICA students now who have no problem with it. But none seem to be native to MD. A couple of them are from VA.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Before ANYONE thinks we should be rubbing elbows with Del. Tiffany Alston and getting her on our side you should be reading this. It was already brought up earlier in this thread and it seems everyone ignored it.
    Having someone like her on our side flushes our credibility down the toilet. We might as well bring on Jack Johnson and Marion Berry while we are at it.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=179821

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/09/tiffany-alston-indicted-on-theft-charges-66980.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...r-del-alston/2011/12/15/gIQAAmGrwO_story.html

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/12/15/md-lawmaker-faces-2nd-indictment/

http://maryland-politics.blogspot.com/2011/09/del-tiffany-alston-indicted.html

The Trial starts in May. At least wait to see IF she is cleared on ALL charges before you friend her on FB.

Didn't you know that having a rap sheet is points in your favor if you are a PG/DC lawmaker??

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    Thank you to all those who attnded yesterday and fought for our rights to carry, I was at work serving the peoples republic of montgomery county...
    Thank you

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I am always meeting MDer's who agree with me on shall-issue. I've been through 3 sets of MICA students now who have no problem with it. But none seem to be native to MD. A couple of them are from VA.

There testimony would be most useful during the reciprocity hearings.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Smokey, I hope you dont mind..I borrowed your videos and posted them on my Facebook wall for my friends and family to see what we have to go through to secure our fundamental right to self defense. They can see first hand, the weak argument against us becoming a Shall Issue state, and the disrespectful nature of our public servants turning a cold shoulder to the discussion.

Ive already started peaking interests and having questions asked about it. Thanks for the videos!

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Geraldine Valentino-Smith is the other delegate on the committee from PG County and is my representative.

I spent a lot of one-on-one time last year with her on the gun issue. She admitted MSI has the correct message, and it’s she who has to come to grips with her mixed feelings based on a nursing background that exposed her to the carnage of illegal gun usage.

While she ended up voting against us last year, her questions at the hearing yesterday suggest that she’s willing to explore the issue beyond a simple judgment.

I wasn’t planning on testifying yesterday. Geraldine suggested I should. Afterwards, she and I talked briefly outside the chamber during which she promised to vigorously pursue a response from the state police regarding her line of questioning vis-à-vis the stipulations offered in HB1135 and whether any of the handgun permits they denied would have been issued using them as a basis for a G&S reason.

I want to go back and read HB1135. Any training requirement has got to remain at what it is today since that is the benchmark MSP currently uses.

Finally, I was surprised to hear the Lieutenant say that MSP has tried, in conjunction with committee members, to come up with a definition last year. That exercise and what transpired is worth looking into.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But we still look like nutcakes to most Marylanders. If we can show that this is perfectly normal for most Americans and that there is no reason for it to be any more or less complicated than something we all do then we can become normal here as well.
    We need to show that Maryland is the anomoly and make them wonder why.

Exactly so.

I believe the overwhelming majority of people are completely unaware of how normal this is in most of the country.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    WARPIG [USMC];1517006 said:
    Smokey, I hope you dont mind..I borrowed your videos and posted them on my Facebook wall for my friends and family to see what we have to go through to secure our fundamental right to self defense. They can see first hand, the weak argument against us becoming a Shall Issue state, and the disrespectful nature of our public servants turning a cold shoulder to the discussion.

Ive already started peaking interests and having questions asked about it. Thanks for the videos!

Anyone is welcome to them. I set them to public viewing so they'd be a resource to anyone that could use them.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I reckon they tried but were aiming for language that would maintain the status quo....Basically they couldn't come up with something in the realm of reality that would justify maintaining the inequity in the current process.

This, I beleive, was fairly evident yesterday given the "babbly gook" and non-answers they presented as retorts to fairly direct questions.

I was surprised to hear the Lieutenant say that MSP has tried, in conjunction with committee members, to come up with a definition last year.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I liked the innocent until proven guilty, but I didn't like how they let the MSP spin it off about issuing and revoking permits.

I also see the MSP will not change anything if the burden is shifted to them to disprove. They are reading Smiegel's bill the same way I'm reading it, which is 60,000 trillion miles away from how he's reading it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I reckon they tried but were aiming for language that would maintain the status quo....Basically they couldn't come up with something in the realm of reality that would justify maintaining the inequity in the current process.

This, I beleive, was fairly evident yesterday given the "babbly gook" and non-answers they presented as retorts to fairly direct questions.

I liked the innocent until proven guilty, but I didn't like how they let the MSP spin it off about issuing and revoking permits.

I also see the MSP will not change anything if the burden is shifted to them to disprove. They are reading Smiegel's bill the same way I'm reading it, which is 60,000 trillion miles away from how he's reading it.

Smigiel and Kelly backed them into a corner forcing them to admit that there wouldn't be an additional burden if 'good and substantial' was dropped per HB 45, that's when the HB 1135 training aspects were discussed and they jumped on that as a way to generate revenue and add bodies to their ranks (IMHO). Kelly then inquired as to whether they had actually surveyed other surrounding states on what they did to accomodate their CCW premitting and the MSP reps basically said yes, but they weren't at liberty to discuss that info.

In other words, suck it up guys, our Commander wants $$$.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    Kelly then inquired as to whether they had actually surveyed other surrounding states on what they did to accomodate their CCW premitting and the MSP reps basically said yes, but they weren't at liberty to discuss that info.

In other words, suck it up guys, our Commander wants $$$.

That's fairly easy to counter. Just invite some of the people from PA and VA to come testify about the requirements of CCW in their respective states. Provide the facts MDSP isn't willing to provide. Beat them at their own game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom