• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    What is the difference between the FN M249s para Gen 1 and Gen 2. If you look at the pictures, you can see a difference between the stocks and handguards. Does anyone know if there is any differences than basically cosmetic?

There might be something going on with the Gen 2 gas system. The piston block under the barrel looks different.

Attachments

• FN_M249S_Rotators_1-1200x550.1.jpg
      FN_M249S_Rotators_1-1200x550.1.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 425
    • FN_M249S_PARA_Rotators_1-2-1800x900.1.jpg
      FN_M249S_PARA_Rotators_1-2-1800x900.1.jpg
      29.1 KB · Views: 442
    • 1920px-PEO_M249_Para_ACOG.1.jpg
      1920px-PEO_M249_Para_ACOG.1.jpg
      31.4 KB · Views: 406

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    What is the difference between the FN M249s para Gen 1 and Gen 2. If you look at the pictures, you can see a difference between the stocks and handguards. Does anyone know if there is any differences than basically cosmetic?

There might be something going on with the Gen 2 gas system. The piston block under the barrel looks different.

1.picatinny rail
    2. Adjusted gas regulator controls fire rate
    3 m4 style adjustable stock

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    The gen 1 pictured actually has a gen 2 barrel. The gen 1 barrel on the gen 2 has adjustable gas. It has 2 settings to adjust rate of fire where as the gen 2 barrel on the gen 1 has a fixed gas port.
    The stock on the gen 1 rotates counter clockwise and slides closed. It is more compact than the gen 2 ar style stock. The gen 1 originally came with the long barrel so the stock needed to fully collapse to fit into the m1950 weapons case. When the short barrel was fully integrated into service (@ 2003) there was no need for the fully collapsible stock for it to fit into the m1950. Actually you could fit the m249b with short barrel into the m1950 with the gen1 stock fully out.
    Problem with the gen1 was trying to keep it small for room clearing it turned into a heavy pistol and hard to control. This is where the m4 style stock came into play.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    The gen 1 pictured actually has a gen 2 barrel. The gen 1 barrel on the gen 2 has adjustable gas. It has 2 settings to adjust rate of fire where as the gen 2 barrel on the gen 1 has a fixed gas port.
    The stock on the gen 1 rotates counter clockwise and slides closed. It is more compact than the gen 2 ar style stock. The gen 1 originally came with the long barrel so the stock needed to fully collapse to fit into the m1950 weapons case. When the short barrel was fully integrated into service (@ 2003) there was no need for the fully collapsible stock for it to fit into the m1950. Actually you could fit the m249b with short barrel into the m1950 with the gen1 stock fully out.
    Problem with the gen1 was trying to keep it small for room clearing it turned into a heavy pistol and hard to control. This is where the m4 style stock came into play.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my saw hap 3 barrel, 2 long and one to jump with?
    I alway jumped a m240

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    To the OP, all of the rifles pictured have the same receiver. Barrels, hand guards and buttstocks are all interchangeable. In other words, you can buy one rifle and change it into any of the ones pictured simply by swapping out parts. Earlier barrels had gas regulators but the newer ones do not. Again, either will fit on the same receiver.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Correct me if I'm wrong but my saw hap 3 barrel, 2 long and one to jump with?
    I alway jumped a m240

Don't know what a hap 3 barrel is, you mean "had"? Yes we were issued long and short but by the end the long barrels went away completely for us and we had 2 short barrels and no long barrels.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Don't know what a hap 3 barrel is, you mean "had"? Yes we were issued long and short but by the end the long barrels went away completely for us and we had 2 short barrels and no long barrels.

Hey buddy!! I was just using the 100 round soft pack recently and, as I do every time I use it, thought of all the places you carried that thing in service to us all. I treat it like it's a sacred relic. I am forever in your debt sir and I wish you a most peaceful Christmas. God bless you and everyone you love!

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Hey buddy!! I was just using the 100 round soft pack recently and, as I do every time I use it, thought of all the places you carried that thing in service to us all. I treat it like it's a sacred relic. I am forever in your debt sir and I wish you a most peaceful Christmas. God bless you and everyone you love!
    You mean the nut sack!!

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Yes but reread my comment with that word inserted and it takes on a completely different meaning!!

I have a shit load of them.
    What we use now..

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpg
      IMG_2594.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 200
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members