• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I recently acquired a Savage Long Range Hunter in .300 Win. Mag.
    Does anyone have any experience with this rifle and have any advice in terms of scope and mounts as well as loads? I have no experience with this caliber and since I won the rifle in a raffle and I am left handed and the gun is right handed, I am trying to decide what to do with it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my bil has been shooting the abm ammo 230g berger rounds, very accurate for him, and you know when you hit steel at 1k. pretty spendy though at $50+/box.

actually depending on your shooting position, keeping your strong hand on the gun and cocking it with your weak hand can be a benefit.

what you will use the gun for, and what distances you will be shooting at, will determine what scopes you might want to look at.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    As a lefty, until recently, I had never used any bolt action rifle that was not right handed. So, the various means of working the bolt, weak-hand, reach over with strong hand are all I have ever known. However, I recently acquired 2 other Savage rifles in lefty and I am testing out how those work for me. In terems of the Long Range Hunter though, it seems that most of these are actually used for long range hunting or, sometimes long range target. As I live on the Eastern Shore, there is limited rifle hunting and none of it long range. The only long range shooting range I know of is DelMarva Sporting in Vienna. I just do not see myself travelling to hunt moose or elk. So, I am trying to decide whether to sell it or have a safe queen.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you sell it, give me a shout.

I'm a lefty on long-guns, and honestly I have to say I prefer the right hand bolt-actions for bench/prone shooting. You can work the bolt w/out ever breaking your firing grip or position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom