Lookin for a bit of info on this Mauser in 30-06.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    I'll start by stating I know nothing about the Mausers. A friend of mine has had this gun in it's soft case for over 30 years. Said he got it from a gunsmith/manufacturer(?) in Alexandria Virginia. He's not a gun guy and only knows they did work on it but it's unclear if they restored it, accurized it, or both. It was said this rifle spent some time on their range making single holes. It has not been fired since purchasing.

He's looking to sell it. I have little interest in it but am attempting to help him acquire a little more info so he can possibly value it.

There are additional images in the > gallery <.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    It looks like a sporterized Turkish Mauser to me. If it came out of Alexandra, it is probably an Interarms inport, it should be stamped 'Interarms' on the barrel or receiver.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    It looks like a sporterized Turkish Mauser to me. If it came out of Alexandra, it is probably an Interarms inport, it should be stamped 'Interarms' on the barrel or receiver.
    Thanks! Definitely gives him something to work with in regards to research.

I'll see if I can get him to remove the scope mount as there looks to be an image stamping at the front of the receiver. I don't recall seeing any other marks on the barrel. Also, your mention of Interarms rings a bell loud and clear. Would you happen to know if they were just a pass-through importer or did they smith these to any extent?

To me this looks to be an unremarkable rifle. I know he was hoping it could garner $1,000 but, to my eye, I advised he should be prepared to set his sights a lot lower.

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County

It won't have a import marking on the barrel. Someone years ago put a USGI High Standard 03 surplus barrel on the rifle and cut off the front sight key. Rifle should be a tack driver High Standard made good replacement barrels. Back in the day gunsmith's did some strange things, I had a 1903 I bought years ago that someone had installed a P-17 barrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks! Definitely gives him something to work with in regards to research.

I'll see if I can get him to remove the scope mount as there looks to be an image stamping at the front of the receiver. I don't recall seeing any other marks on the barrel. Also, your mention of Interarms rings a bell loud and clear. Would you happen to know if they were just a pass-through importer or did they smith these to any extent?

To me this looks to be an unremarkable rifle. I know he was hoping it could garner $1,000 but, to my eye, I advised he should be prepared to set his sights a lot lower.

Yeah, I am not on the up and up on sporterized mauser values, but a Turkish mauser in good shape is something more like $400. It looks like a really nice job was done on that one, but I doubt there is a whole ton of value add. $500 or $600 (total I mean)?

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Much appreciate the replies!

That's exactly the sort of info I was seeking. I'll still have him pull the scope/mount to see if we can gain any additional insight. I'll post it up if it seems of value.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    There's no historical mauser value left in that rifle. Drilled, tapped, sporterized, rebarrelled.

The only.value left is in the quality of the gunsmithing, and it's utility as a 30-06 hunting rifle.

When mausers flooded the market post war, it was cheaper to build a rifle from receiver and barrel than it was to buy a new factory rifle off the shelf.
    I'd say that pretty shows you where it's value lies today, right about the same place. Less than a factory new rifle.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Appreciate the reply Jaybeez!

I never really knew the meaning of "Sporter" in reference to rifles until I started this thread. Just as you noted, I found it was basically turning a military rifle into a politically correct hunter at a value price. Once the price of purpose built factory hunting rifles came down there was no longer the need to neuter and mod the relics. Now, when sporter is attached to current production rifles it's simply marketing jargon.

So considering this rifle has a vanilla stock, average bluing and so so jeweling, among other factors, I'd guess value pretty much comes down to accuracy. It looks like it will clean up well with no glaring imperfections so he may do well after a good detailing, but no where near his expectations.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wouldn’t call it “politically correct”. It turned it in toa hunting rifle. I mean, you. OULE Hunt with a k98k, sure. However, removing the top handguard, shortening the forestock and drilling and tapping it for a scope is going to significantly reduce the weight and also make it much more accurate by not relying on the MkI eyeball. That handguard was there so you didn’t burn your hand on the barrel after repeated rapid fire. I don’t fire my big bores all that often.

I have a G1898 that was sporterized probably in the 50s or 60s by one of the big companies. It was done well and then someone abused the snot out of it. I’ve restored it some and it appears to be shooting okay. But on this sight in with new factory ammo I out about 24 rounds down range in about an hour on a 80F day in the shade. The barrel was probably 120F at the end of it and certainly hit 130+ on one or two of my “for fun 5-shot talk” strings near the end.

Having to carry that around as a war implement if I put 30-40 down range in a few minutes if you touched that barrel gripping it while moving in a hurry and you’d absolutely burn your hand if you didn’t have a glove on.

But hunting you’d never do that. You probably wouldn’t put more than 1 or 2 rounds down range.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    There was also a company, Ye Olde Hunter Lodge, as well as Interarms in Alexandria into the 1970s. They sold surplus and sporterized surplus through adds in the back of magazines as well as in their store. I loved going down there as a kid. Racks and racks of eveything from from Martinis, Enfields, Springfields, Carcanos, Lebels, MAS, Egyptian Hakims, SVT-40s, anything you can think of that was surplussed off in the '50s and '60s.
    Yes, surplus '03 and 1917 Enfield barrels were a dime a dozen back then and legitimate 'smiths commonly rethreaded them for Mausers. But then, it wasn't a sin in those days. Context of the times.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    There was also a company, Ye Olde Hunter Lodge, as well as Interarms in Alexandria into the 1970s. They sold surplus and sporterized surplus through adds in the back of magazines as well as in their store. I loved going down there as a kid. Racks and racks of eveything from from Martinis, Enfields, Springfields, Carcanos, Lebels, MAS, Egyptian Hakims, SVT-40s, anything you can think of that was surplussed off in the '50s and '60s.
    Yes, surplus '03 and 1917 Enfield barrels were a dime a dozen back then and legitimate 'smiths commonly rethreaded them for Mausers. But then, it wasn't a sin in those days. Context of the times.

The "ye Old Hunters Lodge" was part of Interarms, kind of like their retail store.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The "ye Old Hunters Lodge" was part of Interarms, kind of like their retail store.

As many times as I went down there in the early '70's, I ever new that. Just figured they got their stock from Interarms. My older brother purchased a number of Interarms "Lugers" there.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    I wouldn’t call it “politically correct”. [snip]
    Good points all that you made. It was clear to me as soon I as posted that the wrong phrase was used, just too lazy to edit. :o What I had in mind, aside from the hunter friendly mods you mentioned, was making non-autos of those rifles that it would pertain to.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    There was also a company, Ye Olde Hunter Lodge, as well as Interarms in Alexandria into the 1970s. [snip]
    If you get a chance to look at the bottom of the page following the link in post #5 of this thread there is a picture of a Hunters Lodge ad.

Aw shucks, here it is. :D

HuntersLodgeAd-Jan68.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good points all that you made. It was clear to me as soon I as posted that the wrong phrase was used, just too lazy to edit. :o What I had in mind, aside from the hunter friendly mods you mentioned, was making non-autos of those rifles that it would pertain to.

Oh, well sure. That’s an ATF thing though. Not really politically correct mods. Though I guess it wouldn’t be a bad argument to say that was why the Hughes amendment and the sporting arms import restrictions were done (for political correctness)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's a Persian action sporterized. A lot of Persian recievers became sporters. As noted above unless it was done by a super well known smith its worth well less than a factory new rifle. If it shoots well keep it and enjoy it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like Farsi on the receiver to me.
    If it has been d&td and the breech was done well as the crown on that barrel bet it shoots great. It would be nice to know what sort of trigger it has in it and what the bedding looks like inside. Sure would like to have one of those T's in that add for 79 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom