• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I just completed My first AR10. The barrel is only 18” but it’s still very heavy in the front. I have a carbine length AR10 buffer spring. I’m looking for suggestions on how to balance the weight a little bit. Currently running a hogue overmold stock on it. Any suggestions for a heavier stock to balance it more?

I have no clue why picture is upside down.

Attachments

• BEC8F9FA-2CD3-4860-9F34-88833EF798D5.jpg
      BEC8F9FA-2CD3-4860-9F34-88833EF798D5.jpg
      101.4 KB · Views: 538

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Magpul UBR is on the heavy side. That said, I'd rather use a shorter handguard, if it's possible.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is that a real thing or just trolling me? Great user name btw.

A real thing. Just get some fishing weights and glue in a couple of ounces will help balance it. Also as suggested. A shorter handguard would help balance it. Oh and a shorter/lighter muzzle brake.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    A real thing. Just get some fishing weights and glue in a couple of ounces will help balance it. Also as suggested. A shorter handguard would help balance it. Oh and a shorter/lighter muzzle brake.

At this point I’m committed to the muzzle and handguard. The only thing I can do now is swap the stock.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Magpul PRS stock is one of the heaviest out there. Try that, you still might need to add some weight in the grip.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    theres a heavier buffer tube specifically for balancing.. dont know if it worth it to you in cost and overall rifle weight.. if you currently have a standard carbine buffer tube (3.6oz?), V7 makes one thats an a5 style, 9 position, 416 steel 10.8 oz but its $130. i cant recall but i think some other manufacturers use heavier materials for added weight for a little more money compared to aluminum, and not so expensive as v7

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Heavybuffers.com makes... Heavy buffers. Unless you want the rifle to weigh a ton don't put lead in the grip. Since the stock is farther away from the balance point, weight there has FAR more of an effect. Use a heavier stock like the PRS and add steel buttplate spacers if you need even more. Every oz at the buttplate is equivalent to 4 or 5 at the grip.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the days of A2 stocks, there were ( lead ? Steel ?) weights made to fit the compartment .

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    You could try using a heavier scope ring set up. The ones you have are so light weight they look invisible:)

That’s problem #2. The optic is so massive that two rings won’t work because it would bridge the handguard. I’m looking for a one ring solution now.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Magpul PRS stock is one of the heaviest out there. Try that, you still might need to add some weight in the grip.

Heavybuffers.com makes... Heavy buffers. Unless you want the rifle to weigh a ton don't put lead in the grip. Since the stock is farther away from the balance point, weight there has FAR more of an effect. Use a heavier stock like the PRS and add steel buttplate spacers if you need even more. Every oz at the buttplate is equivalent to 4 or 5 at the grip.

I think I’m going to order the PRS. OpticsPlanet has it 10% off with free shipping for Father’s Day. Will be $166. I like the way it looks too. All the reviews say it’s very heavy.
    Thanks fellas

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Magpul UBR is on the heavy side. That said, I'd rather use a shorter handguard, if it's possible.

I handled an AR10 with this stock and it really helped with the balance when compared a S&W AR10 that I had at the time. If I would have kept it, I would have installed a UBR since the roll of my AR10 was bench shooting.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I ended up buying the UBR instead of PRS. Still looking for a mount.

RCH- thanks for the link to the mount. That’s the style I’m thinking. One piece that I can put on the receiver rail that sits tall enough to handle the 56mm front glass. I’m going to shop around. I’d like to be under $100 for the mount, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom