• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Here is my review of the newly released 16.5" IWI Tavor

It is finally here... ordered the darn thing back in December 7, 2012 and it showed up at my FFL this week. so..... it is time to knit pick this badboy and see how it stacks up to other rifles in the stable.

The Tavor is a semi- automatic bullpup rifle that seems to be the rage nowadays. made of a rare compound called " unobtanium" an alloy of panic buying, short supply, scare tactics and greed. naturally, it would cost an arm and a leg.. selling at prices way above the MSRP of $1999.00

But I had to get one, or maybe two... one to shoot and one to display as a " screw you O' malley" trophy.. a must buy before the October 1st - Doomsday for 2A event.

since I got it home.... opened up the box to give the new Tavor an inspection that would make a TSA airport screener look incompetent. Read the manual, took out the accessories and memorized nomenclature of parts.. some of which, proprietary to this new bullpup.

I like bullpups...Im partial to the AUG and PS90... in fact, these are my primary HD guns. I like the ergonomics, the compact size and maneuverability of such design. Can the Tavor be really better?

Let's see.

The Tavor is a very ergonomic rifle. A lot of engineering has gone through this design and it seems that a lot of shooter input was built into the weapon. While mostly constructed of polymer ( Okay, expensive plastic). The tavor atually has a massive steel frame inside the polymer receiver/ stock. The action reminds me of the piston on top of a Krinkov. It is massive and well built. Unlike the AUG.. The Tavors rails are integrated with the stock, just like a huge glock with steel inserts. What I have noticed is that it is a darn heavy weapon. Almost 9 lbs, empty. without mags, ammo, optics and other ninja stuff.
    However, The beauty of the Tavor is in the ergonomics and weight distribution of the rifle. While most AR/ AKs are front heavy, The FS2000/AUG are 50/50, i would estimate the balance on the Tavor as 30/70... or 70% of the weight of the rifle centers on the rear, near the buttplate.
    This translates into a well balanced weapon that is easily shouldered. The majority of the rifle's weight rest on the shoulders instead of the arms. It is true, you can carry this rifle in ready position almost indefinitely. You can hold the rifle by the butt, pressed the stock onto your shoulder and it is amazing that the rifle sticks straight out, with no superhuman effort... in comparison.. I cant do that with an AUG or even the lightweight PS90.

The controls on the rifle are well designed. The Pistol grip is actually Okay to hold, it is round and it helps position my the first joint of my trigger finger onto the trigger. that seems to make shooting the heavy trigger a bit easier.

the Safety / selector is ala AR 15... no further familiarization required on that. It is positive with very tactile feel to it. I also like the cobblestone texture on the gun. It looks like a mean reptile up- close. much better than the dull/ smooth AUG stock. It also feels more solid than the AUG/ STG556. Controls are also fully ambidextrous.. a lefty bolt is available to make the rifle a southpaw. swivels, selctors, ejection port cover, acc rails, charging handle... just switches over.

The rifle seems to be made to be cradled. The Israeli 6-point shooting method really works to stabilize the weapon.It also reduces the shooters profile as this method actually wraps the shooter around the rifle. Pretty cool concept. The magazine release is a bit strange, but really fast to actuate. carrying the weapon in SUL..sometimes a bent wrist can actuate the mag release and drop your mag inadvertently. been there, done that....

The barrel seems to be lightweight. It looks like a .635" diameter or pencil profile , at least where it is exposed. It is a 1:7, 16.5", Chrome lined barrel, coated in what looks like the same finish on my Glock. Threaded 1/2x28TPI, the threaded portion seems a bit longer compared to an AR, a locknut secures an A2 birdcage hider out front.

The FCG is completely modular and drops out of the rifle as an assembly for easy cleaning. The trigger bars pull on the FCG instead of pushing onto it. it give it a more solid feel instead of a plastic feel to it.

The operating system is similar to an AKM, a piston is connected on the bolt carrier and is a very massive block of steel. the bolt is similar to an AR.. somewhat looking like an AR boltface with less lugs.

The top of the rifle is equipped with a full 1913 rail. it is secured with the barrel assembly via two allen head machine screws. It also houses the fold up back up sights. The front sights is a simple post, similar to an AR front sight but it contains a bright vial of radioactive tritium. For some reason, Israeli tritium is brighter compared to others ( meprolights vs trijicon). the rear sight is folds up and looks like a popsicle stick with a hole drilled on it. It works, as long as you dont drop calibrate the rifle. The rifle is really designed to be used with some kind of optic. for me, Im having a hard time getting a comfortable cheekweld on the weapon while using irons. I cant seem to focus through the rear sight.. the ghost ring appears slightly oblong to me. this is why I am saving up for an Eotech 557.

The bolt release is very nice... this bullpup actually can keep up with an AR in terms of mag changes. Mags.. actually drop free.. this is any stanag mag.. magpuls to metal and everything in between.. they all work. okay, i take that back... it does not work with DRUMS.. any kind of drum. its either it wont fit or wont feed. but.... it likes surefire 60/100 rounders. Being used to the AUG platform, it took me a while to not press on the bolt release when im trying to drop mags. Old dog new tricks kinda thing.

Generation 1 & 2 P-mags were reported to damage the rifle's bolt catch. just to be sure... spend two minutes on modifying your old pmags by squaring off the rear with a hand file. older mags with rounded rear cut outs ( the part were the follower pushes up on the bolt catch) tend to push the bolt catch partially up and is boogered up by the bolt moving forward. But to be honest with you.. it did not happen with my Tavor, even with unmodified gen 1 pmags.... I think the Canadian tavors are the only ones prone to this.

Okay... now, the trigger

I wont lie to you.. it is heavy.. I think they named the rifle after Mt. Tavor, because it it heavy as a mountain.. LOL... it is heavy at around 11.5 lbs with a lot a creep. it is suppose to get better after the break in period. That what the internetz say. but I doubt it. A trigger return spring really puts a lot of weight on the trigger. Its not bad for a military trigger, but i was expecting something a bit better. It broke like the trigger on a pre=ww2 Mosin that is packed in dried cosmoline. Okay.. before you suggest that I take off the spring.. keep in mind that I plan to use this as a defensive weapon.. No trigger mods allowed for liability issues. I still have to break it in anyways.. maybe it will lighten up. time will tell.

Aside from the crappy trigger, this rifle is really growing on me. the ergonomics are superb. it balances extremely well, points fast and it is very maneuverable. It is indeed a better bullpup compared to its counterparts.

I will not do an accuracy test on it for now. Only because I can only shoot Russian Tula/ Wolf ammo for now. It will not do it justice. I am also waiting on an Eotech and a Lucid 2-5 magnifier/ FTS mount. when I get those in, plus some good ammo... I'll shoot for accuracy.

I will update this thread.. with the good, the bad and the ugly. Let's see if this bullpup can keep up with the other bigdogs in the safe.

scar

Attachments

• tavor.jpg
      tavor.jpg
      93.4 KB · Views: 1,835
    Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I shot another persons Tavor last weekend, with an EO-Tech 512, standard 193 55gr rounds, and standing. Was able to hold everything within 6 inches easily. Granted, I was shooting it as a righty, when I'm a lefty. But it showed promise.

It's an odd bird though, didn't seem to care for 62gr rounds, which is odd considering the 1:7 twist barrel.

Off a bag, with the EO, we managed a few 2" groups. It'll be interesting to see what it's really capable of though.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I shot another persons Tavor last weekend, with an EO-Tech 512, standard 193 55gr rounds, and standing. Was able to hold everything within 6 inches easily. Granted, I was shooting it as a righty, when I'm a lefty. But it showed promise.

It's an odd bird though, didn't seem to care for 62gr rounds, which is odd considering the 1:7 twist barrel.

Off a bag, with the EO, we managed a few 2" groups. It'll be interesting to see what it's really capable of though.

: I would have like to test one out. Having gorilla arms what not. Would like to know how it work for a tall guy like me.

I typically shoot with fully extended stock on ar15.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

Im setting up a Tavor with a lefty bolt for a friend.. when we take it out at MG.. you should shoot it

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    : I would have like to test one out. Having gorilla arms what not. Would like to know how it work for a tall guy like me.

I typically shoot with fully extended stock on ar15.

The person that let me test-fire their Tavor is a bigger guy. He didn't seem uncomfortable with it.

I found it to be different, but easy to handle and get on target. The weight being biased to the back end, it's nice. Fast to swing and shoulder.

Did drop the mag trying to release the bolt though, the owner caught it on video too... :o

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Im setting up a Tavor with a lefty bolt for a friend.. when we take it out at MG.. you should shoot it

I'm game for that.

The only thing that I was uncomfortable with was shooting righty. Set up for a lefty, I may just have to buy one ASAP then.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The person that let me test-fire their Tavor is a bigger guy. He didn't seem uncomfortable with it.

I found it to be different, but easy to handle and get on target. The weight being biased to the back end, it's nice. Fast to swing and shoulder.

Did drop the mag trying to release the bolt though, the owner caught it on video too... :o

He apperently yelled my name twice but was busy talking to another member about idpa stuff. Lol

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think JMIRA just bought one too. Its just a fast handling little gun. It points faster than my 10" AR. almost as fast as a 7.5" AR.

I'm just curious if it suppresses well, being piston driven and having the ejection port beside the ear. We will see.... Let's do it for science

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I was torn, we compared it against his 9" AAC SBR, and I found both to be easy to get on target, but the Tavor did have a slight edge since the SBR was too easy to overswing.

It is a fun little gun though.

Damn it, now I'm getting that bug again...

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    SCAR, check Military Arms Channel for trigger modification and using a supressor if you haven't already. He had good reports for both mentioned above.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I forget to mention
    Comes with a 30 round, re branded CAA mag
    Cleaning kit, brush, oiler, manual, chamber safety plug
    2 QD sling swivels, mounts on both sides of the gun

Standard height Eotechs, aimpoints will co- witness 1/3 high, rear sight obstucts the dot
    Eotechs with riser mounts with absolute co - witness with BUIS.
    Gas system is not adjustable
    Charging handle is non- reciprocating
    Small storage compartment in the stock
    There is provisions for an ITL MARS switch on left of the forearm
    The barrel is not free floated
    Comes with a sight adjustment tool
    There are rough areas on the stock, some small gaps. Not too bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members