• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    I've kept my purchases all these years within Marylandstan, so I'm trying to figure out how the whole out of state purchase things works. Obviously it needs to be something on the approved MD list, but are cash and carry items here still cash and carry out of state? I'm guessing handguns go through the same process there as here and/or need to be shipped to a local FFL to complete the process?

Misses sprung a surprise trip plan for this weekend and said she wanted to to go to the Crystal Caves in PA and ended it with, "then we can go to Cabela's!" Figure be a worthwhile place to pickup mags, ammo and odds and ends, but just in case I stumble on something I wanted to know what I'd be going through post providing my MD DL to the people behind the counter...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I do not believe you can purchase any handguns at all.

You can.. but it has to be in the approved list. And if it is.. it need to be transfered via ffl from other state to md ffl first then the op need to the processing here in the state. (This can and typically add cost).

Long guns/shotgun.. depending on the dealer. Some may not transfer to MD resident. But if they ( ffl dealer) say ok.. fill out 4473 and get approve and he can take the gun home.

No ftf sale allowed, interstate sale, per atf.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Only way to buy handguns out of state as cash and carry is if they qualify as C&R, you are an 03 FFL, and the seller is agreeable to the sale. Other than that, assuming it's not antique, you have to transfer it to a MD FFL dealer and go through the MD purchase process.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any long gun that is legal in Md ( and in that other state) may be purchased over the counter fro an FFL, as per Federal law. Some FFLs do not care to do so as matter of store policy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah semantics. While in that case they may physically be face to face, the use of an FFL 003 process, removes it from being a * private transaction* .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FYI, Cabela's in PA and DE will sell to MD residents. They will ship handguns to the deal of your choice, but I have found that my dealer will beat their price and just special order it for me.

They are fine with MOST long guns. But DE store has been reported that they will not sell if the long gun has a more than 10 round magazine included in the box. They will not remove the mag and sell it either. Strange, since you can walk over and buy 1, 2, 5, 10, etc of the same over 10 round magazine from them.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    FYI, Cabela's in PA and DE will sell to MD residents. They will ship handguns to the deal of your choice, but I have found that my dealer will beat their price and just special order it for me.

They are fine with MOST long guns. But DE store has been reported that they will not sell if the long gun has a more than 10 round magazine included in the box. They will not remove the mag and sell it either. Strange, since you can walk over and buy 1, 2, 5, 10, etc of the same over 10 round magazine from them.

This is good to know. Just FYI Dick's in Virginia will not sell to MD Resident. I should call and ask Green Top in Richmond if they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom