• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    I'm sure this will account to me being a rookie and overlooking a simple step, but this morning I got my new gun. The counter started getting a line and I felt awkward asking the basics, so I took the gun and left (mistake #1). I'm out of town and finally got at my destination at midnight, so I just started messing around with it to get the basics down with the instruction book handy.

So for my p320 sig sauer, here's what I did...(bear in mind, no ammunition has been loaded or fired at all yet)

1) removed the magazine, popped it back in there
    2) pulled the slide back, it locked, practiced releasing the slide, no problems
    3) practiced removing the slide, (after removing the magazine after realizing the slide wouldn't come off otherwise) did that with no problems and did not remove anything from the slide

and here's where it got problematic...

4) followed the books instructions and tried getting the slide back on by:
    a- lining up the tracks going from front to back
    b- slid the slide all the way back
    c - rotated the takedown lever back to horizontal position
    d- pulled the slide for it to lock...slides right back. not locking as it did in 2!

what did I do wrong? what's my rookie mistake?
    for what it's worth, the magazine cannot pop back in there as well.

thanks!

goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    Problem solved! The slide catch lever was staying down and not sliding back up as I thought it was automatically supposed to do. Apparently you engage that manually before you engage the takedown lever.

This is why I haven't bought ammo yet.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

If you want to continue getting the handling and operation committed to memory before using live ammo, invest in some A-zoom snap caps. Inert solid pieces of aluminum, with a soft silicon or plastic insert in the base where the firing pin will hit.

You can practice loading, chambering a round, and pulling the trigger over and over with no fear of damage from dry firing. Although some firearms are ok with dry firing anyway, I prefer using these.

Attachments

• zoom_9mm_small.jpg
      zoom_9mm_small.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 402

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Oh... and in the future when you have live ammo and take out the snap caps to practice, remember make sure there is no live ammo anywhere near you. You don't want to be praticing dry fire and pick up the wrong (loaded) magazine....

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Problem solved! The slide catch lever was staying down and not sliding back up as I thought it was automatically supposed to do. Apparently you engage that manually before you engage the takedown lever.

The slide lock is lifted into place by the magazine follower (the part sits on the mag spring and lifts the rounds) when the magazine is empty. Empty mag in gun = slide locks back, No mag in gun = slide does not lock back.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Oh... and in the future when you have live ammo and take out the snap caps to practice, remember make sure there is no live ammo anywhere near you. You don't want to be praticing dry fire and pick up the wrong (loaded) magazine....

THIS!

The two sounds you never want to hear:

1. A click when you expect a bang.
    2. A bang when you expect a click.

Safe practice will lead to safe live fire and no inadvertent ventilation. No such thing as an accidental discharge in a properly functioning modern firearm.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The irony is I've seen this video (and other hichok's videos) about 10 times since purchasing the gun last week but actually watched the assembly part my first viewing. I was too captivated by that backyard.

Thanks though! Seeing it again helped.

Sounds like you've made a lot of progress...

Snap Caps will take you further quickly & safely...

Wish Hickok was my daddy & I could play in his backyard...

You are doing great...

Enjoy your new pistol...

1969sschevelle

Dec 28, 2012
    Lost Farmland County MD
    banana clip ...term used since the 1960's ..perfectly ok to call a mag a clip not vice versa though...

a stripper clip s not a mag ....but a mag can be called a clip and most/all people know what your saying..unless they are spoilin for an argument- then you will get a hassle gram.and you will have to send them to google.

watch old episodes of Combat,old war movies,etc......'\"clip" has been around.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only time the slide lock is automatically up is if the mag is inserted and it's empty.

But you figured that out.

congrats.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I suggest you take a class before doing anything else with your handgun. While I hate the idea of required training (ie: HQL) it does eliminate some of these problems.

Check around your local area and find a reputable instructor. It will be the best money you will ever spend on your firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom