• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Just wondering if anybody has anything to report yet on crabs. I heard that the wye was not good yet and guys were getting skunked down there.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I was in the Lower Potomac over the weekend (near St. Clement's Island). I saw more dead tiny crabs than ever before. I'm not an expert on this stuff so maybe that's just part of the process...but I've never seen that many dead ones. It doesn't look good. I'm going back in three weeks and actually plan to do some crabbing then.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Radio said that Maryland is running about a month behind lasts years ....errr....what ever....catch...success...so far this year.....Not a good reflection on the prices...most coming from out of state it said.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    I was in the Lower Potomac over the weekend (near St. Clement's Island). I saw more dead tiny crabs than ever before. I'm not an expert on this stuff so maybe that's just part of the process...but I've never seen that many dead ones. It doesn't look good. I'm going back in three weeks and actually plan to do some crabbing then.

I think the crabs were the shells of crabs that shed there old shells. You might
    want to go looking for soft crabs. Started with 2 crab pots last week so far 3 crabs, 1 peeler and 1 perch. I let them all go to swim and hope to catch them when there bigger.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I was out two weeks ago and caught 10 crabs in about 3 hours using 30 collapsable traps. We didnt have high expectations being a little early. We may go out this friday to give it a shot. Based on the last two-three years its not looking good for the results we used to see.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Went out yesterday afternoon...finally..
    Started at about 4 in the afternoon and stopped around 6:30.
    We ended with 29 big, full crabs the weather from saturday may have had an effect but I don't know. Used 20 traps with chx necks.
    Now to try out my 1200' snoodline.:party29:
    They are out there

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    We ended with 29 big, full crabs the weather from saturday may have had an effect but I don't know. Used 20 traps with chx necks.
    They are out there

Where abouts?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    They are out there

But 29 in 2 1/2 hours is NOTHING to brag about........... unless that's the norm or better nowaday. :sad20:

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    But 29 in 2 1/2 hours is NOTHING to brag about........... unless that's the norm or better nowaday. :sad20:

Considering the time of day and the amount of rain on saturday less than ideal conditions so for 21/1 hrs I'm not complaining. Seems the last couple of years they just aren't what they used to be.
    Location crab alley area.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Caught 43 (keepers) crabs last Thursday at Assateague. I would say we actually brought in over 150 with a good amount of them on the verge of being keepers. If I go back in August/September I am sure those numbers will be higher. We had 4 lines out.

We crabbed for 2 hours. Kids had a blast. I busted my knee running back and forth with the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom