• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What it said was you can put a VFG on a AR pistol if it’s >26”. Less than that it becomes an AOW and is subject to NFA rules

An AR pistol >26” is defined as a firearm not a pistol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What it said was you can put a VFG on a AR pistol if it’s >26”. Less than that it becomes an AOW and is subject to NFA rules

Whenever people use the > and <, it fires off my dyslexia big time.

I know the thinking is that over 26" implies it is not concealable(who's to say what is and what isn't?) and therefore no longer a pistol. It just seems most of what I've read was that when a VFG was added(and length was over 26"...or under?), it did become an AOW and require the $10(?) stamp. Not trying to argue. I also have an innate distrust for ATF letters as a whole. They are only good until another comes out with a differing opinion.

Signed, confused reader.

:D

ETA: I'm not a big fan of VFGs on most guns. For the most part, I use them for hand stops or someplace to mount a switch.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I questioned that 'opinion' as well, so I sent my letter off to the ATF. Took them almost two years to reply, but they confirmed the same. An AR in a pistol configuration, with an oal of over 26" is reclassified as a 'firearm' (not an SBR, not an AOW) when a VFG is added to it. It is not subject to any additional NFA tax of any kind.

I would not construe that to have any effect on 'transportation', or any other classification/ruling, but... if your AR pistol is over 26" in length as measured by the ATF, you can add a VFG to it.

I like my VFG with a switch... :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A copy of the pertinent page of their response....

Attachments

• ATF response to VFG on AR Pistol.pdf
      587.1 KB · Views: 197

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

It is reclassified as a 'firearm' once you add the VFG. Prior to that, it is still a 'pistol'. Technically speaking, that is.. ;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wedll, I'm not sure if the >26" length or the VFG makes it a firearm. The wording of both opinions seems a bit ambiguous. I read it to mean a pistol >26" is a firearm, VFG or not.

But who knows.

What's important is if >26" it's not subject to the NFA.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Wedll, I'm not sure if the >26" length or the VFG makes it a firearm. The wording of both opinions seems a bit ambiguous. I read it to mean a pistol >26" is a firearm, VFG or not.

But who knows.

Exactly.. their ambiguity is to be admired for sure! :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

But who knows.

<<>>> <>> >>>>> <<

:lol2:

Keep it up Stu!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Mega Arms 224 Valkyrie

my first upper build, 2nd lower build!! haven't shot it yet, just got the last parts today. mega mkm keymod billet upper and lower, 224 valkyrie, JP low mass bcg etc (bolt in 6.8spc), wmd nibx charging handle, rainier ultramatch 24" +2 gas (1-7.5 twist which they say will stabilize 88-90g with longer barrels), rainier/superlative adj gas block, luth-ar mba1 buttstock, timney 2 stage trigger (love geissele but had this around), NF 5.5-22x56 on top in NF unimount (pulled this off another gun, have a 3-15x50 inbound for this rifle), with expected max range of 800 yds (prs gas gun series).

Attachments

• mega 224 valkyrie L.jpg
      mega 224 valkyrie L.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 842
    • mega 224 valkyrie R.jpg
      mega 224 valkyrie R.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 834

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ar9 pistol build. ( on a budget).

Got to test fire it this past weekend. What a fun little gun . Easy to shoot well and affordable to feed. It’s beginning to grow on me.

Attachments

• 927102FC-FE6C-4AD3-BBC4-418F75DD89A9.jpg
      927102FC-FE6C-4AD3-BBC4-418F75DD89A9.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 723

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads