• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you have a list of parts that hold up on a 12" .308 upper? I have a stamp for my AR-10 but haven't really pursued a short upper cause I just haven't had the time to research out anything.

Or, do you have any recommendations for a completely built upper? I was thinking of contacting Precision Firearms but am open to suggestions?

That I do not have my friend, but I'll give you my best advise:

Buy a matched receiver set that comes with a rail or is advertised as being compatible with the company's rail you have selected to use with your upper.

Use only a Milspec FCG, Geissele SSA-E or LaRue MBT. No pack triggers or adjustable B.S.

Stay away from anything NiB.

Any kind of match barrel is not good for a blaster in my experience. Once they get hot they can choke. Sometimes "match" barrels have throats that are too short and lead to extraction issues and popped primers. I like Chrome Lined for a blaster. Nitride is ok if the barrel extension is processed separate from the barrel and assembled afterwards.

.308 and 7.62 NATO are very different. If you want to shoot a wide variety of surplus you want 7.62 NATO chamber.

Dont do 10" .308, it's not fun or durable and you should only have fixed gas blocks. 12" can be done with adjustable gas, just have to not go crazy on the porting of the barrel. Too much porting allows problems with adjustable gas blocks.

If you go adjustable gas don't use a heavy .308 buffer. Just use a tubb spring and regular weight carbine .308 buffer.

308 PMags suck. Lancers are better.

Check Carrier travel. Too much will allow the belly of a .308 Carrier to bottom out in the mouth of the receiver extension/ rear of the lower receiver.

Oh and Piston .308 ARs suck more than Piston 5.56 AR's, especially in short barrels.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have checked the ballistics, understand a desire to build a pistol 308 AR, and portability. Just curious, what is the practical (not necessarily meaning tactical) application the pistol would meet that a 308 AR carbine or larger caliber AR-15 wouldn’t?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have checked the ballistics, understand a desire to build a pistol 308 AR, and portability. Just curious, what is the practical (not necessarily meaning tactical) application the pistol would meet that a 308 AR carbine or larger caliber AR-15 wouldn’t?

Most do it for this reason: "because I can"

I will admit that a short .308 is less effective on a ballistic reasoning, BUT if I was a bad guy and someone cut lose with a short .308, it certaibly could be confused as someone cutting loose with a .50BMG. It's impressive to how the concussion effects people around it.

I'm normally ok with loud guns, but these guns slap your insides when they go off.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    thanks for the response. I thought it might be something like that.

I had a DPMS 20” HBAR Classic rifle. It was okay on recoil, didn’t intimidate in that department. It was accurate enough but pushed around so much it was difficult to realize the precision without undue effort. I could imagine it in pistol form.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    thanks for the response. I thought it might be something like that.

I had a DPMS 20” HBAR Classic rifle. It was okay on recoil, didn’t intimidate in that department. It was accurate enough but pushed around so much it was difficult to realize the precision without undue effort. I could imagine it in pistol form.

Gas balance can be difficult on larger caliber AR's. Having good springs and adjustable gas are necessities on them IMO. They do tend to jump around a good bit.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    That I do not have my friend, but I'll give you my best advise:

Buy a matched receiver set that comes with a rail or is advertised as being compatible with the company's rail you have selected to use with your upper.

Use only a Milspec FCG, Geissele SSA-E or LaRue MBT. No pack triggers or adjustable B.S.

Stay away from anything NiB.

Any kind of match barrel is not good for a blaster in my experience. Once they get hot they can choke. Sometimes "match" barrels have throats that are too short and lead to extraction issues and popped primers. I like Chrome Lined for a blaster. Nitride is ok if the barrel extension is processed separate from the barrel and assembled afterwards.

.308 and 7.62 NATO are very different. If you want to shoot a wide variety of surplus you want 7.62 NATO chamber.

Dont do 10" .308, it's not fun or durable and you should only have fixed gas blocks. 12" can be done with adjustable gas, just have to not go crazy on the porting of the barrel. Too much porting allows problems with adjustable gas blocks.

If you go adjustable gas don't use a heavy .308 buffer. Just use a tubb spring and regular weight carbine .308 buffer.

308 PMags suck. Lancers are better.

Check Carrier travel. Too much will allow the belly of a .308 Carrier to bottom out in the mouth of the receiver extension/ rear of the lower receiver.

Oh and Piston .308 ARs suck more than Piston 5.56 AR's, especially in short barrels.

Great response, Chad! I think many of us who've built AR-15 pistols have thought about the possibility of doing the same thing in an AR-10 configuration. This is a very useful summary! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    10" will erode the gas port rapidly. 12" is optimal for this purpose.

This barrel length will destroy most suppressors too so check the barrel length and caliber ratings.

Adjustable gas blocks dont last long on short .308 type AR's.

There are many that I have reworked to get them running. They are a beast.

I really wanted an AR 10 SBR, but that's a lot of pressure going through that pipe. Just axing for trouble.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a hk51 done by FJ Volmer back in the 80s. It's a hoot to shoot and unbelievable accurate at 100 yards for a 8.3 inch barrel . I had thought about building a 10mm AR pistol. But I'm leaning more towards a HK mp5 platform. But I may build 1 sometime.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I have a hk51 done by FJ Volmer back in the 80s. It's a hoot to shoot and unbelievable accurate at 100 yards for a 8.3 inch barrel . I had thought about building a 10mm AR pistol. But I'm leaning more towards a HK mp5 platform. But I may build 1 sometime.

Well then, now i know what to ask you to bring the next time we shoot together :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Probably not what you had in mind, but...

300+ rounds through it and not a single hick-up. Only bad thing about it, no EBHO.

Attachments

• qc5.jpg
      qc5.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 117

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Probably not what you had in mind, but...

300+ rounds through it and not a single hick-up. Only bad thing about it, no EBHO.

Very nice !!! Love the look !!!Was actually thinking of a mp5 in 10mm . The FBI model had the last round bolt hold open. Love the roller lock guns !! How expensive was your lower ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very nice !!! Love the look !!!Was actually thinking of a mp5 in 10mm . The FBI model had the last round bolt hold open. Love the roller lock guns !! How expensive was your lower ?
    I bought the lower and upper(side charger) as a set for $530, but is on sale for $450. It appears you can only get this as a set(non side charging set is $433). Don't know why that is.

https://www.quartercircle10.com/qc5-s-w-qc5ru-s-1172.html

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The FBI requested a 10mm mp5 year ago. So HK went back to the drawings board and designed 1. It features a last round bolt hold open as well. I hear they are little bruts lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom