• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hey guys
    Sent in my c and r application about 8 weeks ago.
    Was just glancing at what I needed to send where again. I am not sure if I sent my chief of police my app or not.
    Have a call nto wv atf. Do they coordinate with my chief of police, do they send my stuff to him or do I need to get him a copy. Do i need to get him a copy of everything I filled out or just the c and r app. What about the I think it is called interested person form.
    Thank you. Bud

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I believe the copy to chief of police is more of a courtesy to let them know you applied. I don't think any action is required of them.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I can't remember off the top of my head if a copy of the form goes to the CLEO, or just a letter notifying them that you've applied for the license. The CLEO doesn't take any action on your application, outside of in Communist areas like ours, perhaps putting your information into a database of known terrorists.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I can't remember off the top of my head if a copy of the form goes to the CLEO, or just a letter notifying them that you've applied for the license. The CLEO doesn't take any action on your application, outside of in Communist areas like ours, perhaps putting your information into a database of known terrorists.

IIRC, I think there was a copy of the app that was sent to the CLEO. I think it had the area with the financial info blacked out. I might be thinking of something else but this seems about right.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    IIRC, I think there was a copy of the app that was sent to the CLEO. I think it had the area with the financial info blacked out. I might be thinking of something else but this seems about right.

That sounds right, now that I think about it a bit more. I know I've followed instructions to the letter in application/renewals, but cannot recall the instructions at the moment.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    If you look at the bottom of the application form, the first four pages say "ATF Copy" and the next four pages say "CLEO Copy". You are required to mail the ATF copy to the ATF and the CLEO copy to the CLEO for your area. It's a courtesy with no action required by the CLEO, but I believe it is required:

On the C&R FFL application form, ATF copy, page 2, there's a box you're required to initial that says "A completed copy of this application has been sent (mailed or delivered) to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the premises listed in item 6 is located."

y1KYOPS.jpg

Last edited:

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Was just told by atf that it is a courtesy. I should take them a copy, but do not Have to. Thanks

Orlando

No action is required on the COP unless they know of a reason you should not posses a license. It is mandatory they are notified with paperwork no matter what the ATF told you. People you talk to on the phone are not always educated on proper response. If you ever ask the ATF for any clarification you should get it in writing from them and keep a copy

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I sent the copy to Sheriff of ( blank) county . They mailed it back saying they didn't have involvement with such things .

Win-Win.

I fulfilled the requirement of sending it , and they did nothing .

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Hey guys
    Sent in my c and r application about 8 weeks ago.
    Was just glancing at what I needed to send where again. I am not sure if I sent my chief of police my app or not.
    Have a call nto wv atf. Do they coordinate with my chief of police, do they send my stuff to him or do I need to get him a copy. Do i need to get him a copy of everything I filled out or just the c and r app. What about the I think it is called interested person form.
    Thank you. Bud

Copy goes to the CLEO. Full explanation in the C & R FAQs thread

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    For Howard County, you guys think it would be best to send the CLEO copy to the Sheriff or the county police? I am pretty sure both would fulfill the requirement. Any suggestions? Thanks

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    1) Because nobody has an absolute final answer to the question, "Who is the CLEO?"

and

2) Because the CLEO is not expected to do anything with the application,

There is no possible way for anyone to confirm whether or not the application was actually sent. No one will ever know, because no one will ever check, because no one will ever care.

The only reason I can see for that line on the application is that it was carried over from the application forms for 01 FFLs and 07 FFLs, who are likely to get more police scrutiny.

On the 03 application, it's like **** on a boar hog. It got carried over from something else where it may servbe a purpose.

---

I just sent mine to the County Sheriff with a bland cover letter saying, "Enclosed find your copy of Form xxxx. This requires no action on your part."

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For Howard County, you guys think it would be best to send the CLEO copy to the Sheriff or the county police? I am pretty sure both would fulfill the requirement. Any suggestions? Thanks

What Orlando said. I emailed mine to Chief Gardner for Howard County. His office is over by the court house. I called the non-emergency number to ask who the chief LEO for the county police was and was told Chief Gardner and said I had to mail a copy of my FFL to him and they gave me his address (attention Chief Gardner and whatever the street address if the station is there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom