• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hello,
    If you are in a position to hire you might want to consider my daughter as a candidate.
    4 year degree from University of MD College Park
    Is 26 years old and is working for the past 2 years as the General Manager of a Jiffy Lube in Towson. She gets her hands dirty every day believe me.
    Lives in Towson and does not need to travel 40 miles to work.
    Is currently making 39,000.00 plus benefits so must stay in that ballpark
    Is looking for an administrative assistant type of situation, or personal secretary. Types very well and is well educated with all things on a computer.
    Anyway, not to be a jerk to anyone trying to help, but not looking for "they are hiring at Westinghouse in Glen Burnie". If you are the person who hires and she may sound like a good fit PM me and I will have her get in touch with you. She has a resume and I will stay out of it at that point
    Thank you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A friend of mine works for a "staffing and HR company" not far from there. Would you like me to get her business email and your daughter could go direct?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    May be worth also thinking about enlisting in the military if she is able to do that. May be able to get to OCS with the degree and get a commission and if not have the GI bill to pay for a masters when she gets out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Has she thought about Federal Gov? There are a lot of vets ahead of her, but if she pesists, her 4 year degree will work for her as many vets tend to qualify at lower starting grades. It took my daughter(4 year deg. WVU) a few tries, but finally managed to get in. If you work hard, generally you shoot up pretty rapidly. My girl is a GS 12. It probably only took her 10 years to get there.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Living in MD, I agree with federal agency or going into military as an officer. Keep trying. Can be very difficult to get in. Knowing somebody on the inside helps greatly. My wife went into PHS as O-3 with lots of experience. Took 10 years to make O-6. 9 years to go until full pension. Possibility of O-7 before then. Both of my next-door neighbor's girls are Navy officers.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Does she have any exposure to contracting? I work in that field and we could use an entry level office assistant for our Capitol Heights office.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My niece will be opening a new motel on 43 in Middle River/White Marsh. I don't know what jobs are available but I can ask if you think she'd be interested in something like this.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’d also say have her look at the OPM web site. My wife’s sisters kid applied for a contracting position with no experience and he got it solely based on his degree. Started as a GS-9 now a 13. Once hired takes an act of God to get fired.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    It should also be noted that secretaries and office assistants are disappearing in the private sector.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It should also be noted that secretaries and office assistants are disappearing in the private sector.

In the sense of someone who types and handles correspondence. There is always going to be a place for the lady who makes sure that the limo is booked along with the jet charter.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I’d also say have her look at the OPM web site. My wife’s sisters kid applied for a contracting position with no experience and he got it solely based on his degree. Started as a GS-9 now a 13. Once hired takes an act of God to get fired.

Depends on your status. (Contract/term/career conditional/career/etc...)

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    In the sense of someone who types and handles correspondence. There is always going to be a place for the lady who makes sure that the limo is booked along with the jet charter.

Yes, for the high level executives and your political class. But the general secretary and such are disappearing. Even receptionists are going away. Managerial position is a better career path with more opportunity than a secretary. I would look for an HR position before secretary. The few secretaries I know are having HR duties pushed on them to help argue that the position is necessary, even the executive personal assistant.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Tell her to look at the PO. Worker bee 50K ish, Boss 70-95K. Most bosses don't have any college. Now, a bosses boss is 150K+

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom