• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Is there a type out there that does not penetrate 36" in gel. I might like to use it for home defense. Not if it is going to go through 8 other townhouses.
    I know there are better choices guys, just talking about the ammo. thanks

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A typical human is about 14 inches thick from front to back.

Drywall is 5/8ths of an inch thick.

I'm thinking you should cut your penetration requirements in half.

Go with hunting ammunition that will fully expand.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hollow core Czech training ammo?

7.62x25 loaded into individual 7.62x54r adapters?

You may be taking about special handloaded ammo here

Obrez?

Spring a couple hundred $ for a semi auto handgun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Depending on the age there is more than 1 drywall thickness between different dwellings in a townhouse. The fire barrier I think is thicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is there a type out there that does not penetrate 36" in gel. I might like to use it for home defense. Not if it is going to go through 8 other townhouses.

Commercially available? Kind of doubt it unless there's a specialty hunting round out there I haven't heard of. Brown/Silver Bear soft-points have the lowest muzzle velocity that I can find from commercially produced, but that's a 203grn projo pushing 2330FPS at the muzzle which is still a hell of a lot of force at 2447lb/ft. You could always roll your own I guess?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Wow. That’s a little like asking, “which 10 pound sledgehammer will do the least damage, if it’s dropped onto my thumb from 300 feet?”

You should not even be considering using 7.62x54R for home defense. End thread.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    wm_6958075.jpg

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

Why would anyone even consider a battle round for home defense???? It closely parallels a 3006. Do you want to blind unwelcome democrat with muzzle flash?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Home defense Mosin?

I had one for about six months until i knew enough and had enough people to ask that I trusted to invest in an AR/Mossberg home defense combo.

It's not too bad provided you spend a bit of time smoothing the action and learn to hold it vertical as it's way too long to manuever effectively. I trusted the ole Rooskie war rifle over my Marlin Model 60.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nothing wrong with a full power rifle for home defense, provided it's a handy size, capacity/followup speed is useable. Not much difference tactically IMO between a mosin carbine and 12ga pump with 5 loaded rounds, either will flatten a threat and truck though lots of drywall. "Overpenetration" is grossly exagerated IMO, most any round that will stop a threat will go through drywall, and clear misses are likely enough that I wouldn't put too much stock in a round that underpenetrates in a body. A powerful effective round, especially from a long gun the shooter is proficient with will reduce the probable round count in a defensive shooting, and IMO is safer. Would rather my neighbor take out a threat with a round or two of 7.62 than the neighbor and attacker dumping mags worth of ammo at each other with handguns. Figure any 7.62x54R will have plenty of penetration and devastating power, pick a lighter weight load to reduce recoil and speed followup shots, different schools of thought weather the mild expansion of a SP or the damage from a FMJ yawing and tumbling would be more desireable.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Know the location of all your family members. Know the direction of your neighbor(s) homes . Don't shoot in those directions unless you really, really , have to .

Stagstalker

Jan 15, 2017
    The cesspool of MD
    Op, you'll need bullets constructed with a lead core, they retain weight while mushrooming well thereby reducing some penetration. Great old 30cal hunting rounds were made by rem and winchester with large flat lead tips, more modern stuff with ballistic tips like hornady n nosler, none as readily available in x54 loading as the russian "brown bear", if its made with a soft lead its prolly a great stopping bullet. Hard to beat some back yard ballistics testing.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Guys guys guys, I have the ar15 and pistol thing for home defense. Just was asking the question I was asking. Is there a round that maybe I have not heard of or seen the ballistic testing of that penetrates the least. So far it seems as if it would be Brown Bear 203sp.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In a home defense context , all commonly available 7.62x54R ammo rounds off to " whole buncha penetration " , with nothing meaningfully lesser.

If you change the question to most likely to maybe expand for two legged predators, the answer would be a 150-ish gr soft point intended for hunting .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom