• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Which would you buy and why. Not as concerned with the ammo as to the reliability. Thanks

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I liked the tok better, thought it was a cooler gun and the round more fun. That being said I know where you can get Somme nice Star B's.

Also three people have created threads on the barrel link of the Star B....myself included

Jul 1, 2012
    If you like tinkering, the Star B will be more... fun... to keep running.
    Magazines are critical for reliable function.
    Also consider a Star Model A in 9x23 / .38ACP which is what the platform was actually designed for - the 9x19 was retro-fitted and that causes most of the issues.

The M57 is cheaper and as much as I hate to admit, more reliable.
    Finding excellent Star B's is a lot harder than excellent M57's (or TTC's), I'm guessing A1 has a couple B's in their big stash based on above comment :)
    Steer away from the heavily buffed/pitted B's.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Star B with after market mags is more reliable for me. I have yet to tinker with the original mag but the original mag works so longs as you load 5 at a time.
    If you load to capacity and only use the mag that comes with it, Tok wins that battle.
    Trigger on the Star is Better for range shooting and thus for me gets better groups.
    fireball on the Tok can be cool as well.

If I were told, hey, you can only shoot one of these in 2018, I'd go with the Star B
    I was planning to get a Super B the week Lou45 passed. Too bad no one has taken up the selling local of surplus guns like those and the BM.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I have two Star B's and replaced the firing pins on both (and no, I don't dry fire) One I replaced the barrel link.
    Both are reliable, but one will shoot steel case only. It does't like brass. If you buy a Star B, also buy some replacement parts
    I do like the Star B better than my Tok. It has a far better trigger and it looks like a 1911!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Do tell do tell

A1 Uniform snagged like 4 total in their recent consignment haul.

My star was accurate when it was working but I had the barrel link issue, it had bad hammer bite, and you had to load one less round as I recall. Once the barrel link was refitted it again shot great but I just think the Tok is a cooler gun in general.

I kinda wanted to dive into the 1911 style game when I got the Star and wasn't thrilled. I then bought a Colt 1911 and honestly am still not thrilled with it. I drop that so you can kinda see my slight bias on that style pistol but I also think the M57 ammo is so much cooler!!!!!

Jul 1, 2012
    One of the things that works against the Star is that many that are out there are from the 1940's and are refurbs of refurbs that have been beat to death, while many of the M57's are fresh.
    Star ultimately changed the length of feed lips for the 9x19 but it's not easy to tell off-hand whether you're using "9x23" or "9x19" mags.
    If you can find a nice clean, factory-original Star B with the correct mags and steel-case ammo, chances are it will be reliable (just don't dry fire it).
    Problem is, those guns are hard to find and pricey when you do.
    The West German police "LPN" marked guns are often unmolested and in excellent shape, but bring a premium - as much as 3 times the M57 (or more with both matched mags).

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    While I like the look and feel of the Star B better it can have more feed/eject problems. Some of this is due to the ejector (Russian replacement) and new ones that will fit and work are next to impossible to find.

Jul 1, 2012
    Do you mean the extractor?
    The extractor retaining pin on my Bulgarian refurb worked itself loose, fortunately saw it before it flew off.

That's what I was getting at, the refurb of a refurb thing...

craig357

Apr 26, 2014
    Just a note on the extractor - mine worked its way out too, and unfortunately I lost the spring. Replaced it with a Star PD extractor spring from Sarco since I couldn't find any for the Star B. Seems to work better than the original, though admittedly the original was probably soft from age anyway.

To the OP, the Star is easier to shoot for accuracy, but likely not as reliable for all the reasons mentioned.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I started a thread on a M57 a while back about what a pos it was. Sold it on Ebay, less frame for $158.00. Jamomatic but only had 100 into it. :shrug: I still have about 200 rounds to throw in a campfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom