• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    AFAIK, it is a very accurate handgun and well made particularly the original ones made back during the late 40's, early 50's. They are extremely reliable.

My FFL has one of the original ones and won several shooting competitions with this gun. You get what you pay for with this gun. IDK about SIG's remakes but since they are made in Germany they might be of better quality than the ones made in Exeter, but the original ones definitely command a higher premium.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The sig 210 is a great gun. The SW 952 is just as good in my opinion and be had for a lot less. I also think some of the custom shop CZ's are very competitive as well. These are all great 9mm handguns, but I don't think any should be compared to custom 1911's in 45, apples vs bananas.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    but I don't think any should be compared to custom 1911's in 45,

Why not? Both the WC 1911 and a P210 require detail with the metal work. A good finish job and both should hold their value.

To the OP, check out the X-Five and X-Six guns from SIG. A little more expensive than a 229, huh?

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226-x-six-level-1-9mm-adjustable-sights-sao.html

$2600 retail for a P226 X-Six.

Engage Armament right now has an X-Five for $1,400.

The first time I saw a photo of a P210 was in "Guns & Ammo", back in the mid 70's. They had an article about the 210-4, which was made for the West German border Guards. The cost of a replacement slide release was more than a Colt Government Model 1911 at the time.

Is the P210 practical now? Hell no. An SIG X-Five Tactical or S&W 952 would save you $1,000+ and be easier to shoot but the 210 is pure classic.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I wouldn't trust anything coming out of the new SIG. It's designed to separate you from your cash.

If you want a 210, buy an original. It's debatable if they're worth it.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    IIRC the manufacturing cost for the slide was more than the retail for many pistols of the time.

The SIG P210 is a short-recoil operated, locked-breech pistol of all-steel construction. It is somewhat unusual in that it has inner slide rails, that is, full-length slide rails are machined on the inside of the frame. Most parts are machined from solid steel forgings and then hand fitted. This results in increased durability and accuracy, but also greatly increases the cost of manufacture.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Sig9mm.htm

I'm not sure how the newest versions compare to the old, but the one I shot was one of the smoothest and most accurate 9mm's I have ever fired. I believe it was a P210-6, but it (obviously) wasn't mine and it was a while ago. I've wanted one ever since, but the pricetag will probably relegate it to "look don't touch" forever.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I wouldn't trust anything coming out of the new SIG. It's designed to separate you from your cash.

If you want a 210, buy an original. It's debatable if they're worth it.

As for the originals being worth the cost... They have a mystique about them. Not that many are here and they are definitely old school design and built.

Last edited:

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Damn that's a beautiful pistol. I'll never own one, but it's going on my wish list.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Theres no other 9mm that can touch (Accuracy Wise) what the 210 will do. They are laserguns. Beautifully made firearms.

The S&W 952 is noce but the accuracy nod still goes to the SIG 210. The first time I shot a P210 I fired 50 rounds into a 2" group at 50 yards standing slowfire.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Theres no other 9mm that can touch (Accuracy Wise) what the 210 will do. They are laserguns. Beautifully made firearms.

The S&W 952 is noce but the accuracy nod still goes to the SIG 210. The first time I shot a P210 I fired 50 rounds into a 2" group at 50 yards standing slowfire.

An old friend of mine bought one and I got to shoot it two weeks ago, I've been looking into ordering one. Anyone know if the new ones are on the stupid MD handgun list?

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    Absolutelly, the Cz-75. I have one and noticed that the rail system is similar and may have been copied from the p-210. I love mine and paid less than 500 for it.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I paid around $2200 for an original Swiss made one from 1953 and was glad to do it. If you haven't handled and shot one, you can't understand why they are so expensive. But once you have, and you comprehend the care and time that went into each one, you wonder why they aren't more expensive. The slide really feels like it's on roller bearings and the trigger is absolutely outstanding. The new ones are more ergonomic and safer than the real ones but they are not as accurate. But how accurate do you really need? I bought one for satisfaction of owning a Swiss made SIG. The thought of them so meticulously and ridiculously over-manufacturing a pistol for nothing more than issue to an officer whom they were almost 100% certain would never pull it from its holster always brings a smile to my face. It's a wonderfully fun range toy but it's woefully outdated by todays standards for a number of reasons. It's single action and it has no drop safety. Originally, the 210 had no half cock but one was quickly added and many (but not all) of the earlier ones had it added. However, even at half cock, pulling the trigger will release the hammer. Why it was designed this way I do not know but it's supposedly safe to do so. I don't care how well it was made, I wouldn't trust that. The safety can't be manipulated without two hands unless you are a gorilla. The sights are small military sights. That's fine with todays little white dots and other sighting aids but those things weren't thought of yet in the 50's. It has a heel magazine release. It's HEAVY and long too. Most people don't care about these shortcomings though because they aren't carrying them into combat. They are doing what I do; taking them to the range to make some memories and just generally enjoying the fact that they own a piece of History.
    So, to wrap up, if you decide to buy one for the joy of ownership, I recommend a Swiss one. If you can't live with the fact that you are paying well north of $2000 for a used firearm, buy a more modern but less accurate German one. If you are buying to carry, buy something else! Personally, I don't regret my purchase one little bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom