• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    So, got the wear and carry permit, with the usual restriction - valid "while conducting business" as company.

Of course, I am the owner and sole employee of the businesses, so am always conducting business. Not clear what that even means.
    What if you had a business making and testing holsters for CCW? Your permit is valid only when you are carrying. Makes sense, or does it?

What is the current thought on how to overcome the "while conducting business" restriction at the HPRB?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Being the owner of the business, I've heard the argument that having a company check or CC on you at all times satisfies the "while conducting business" thing to some extent.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you member of MSI ?
    If so, consult their knowledgeable brain trust on how to get modified.

If not , join right now, and do above.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    As a matter of fact, I am on my way to check on a rental right now. :innocent0:

If you are "always conducting business" I would not worry too much about it. Unless your business is laundering money or selling pot.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Read the HPRB threads for the last year. It's a free education.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am plugged in 24/7 to my company , I sleep with my phone next to my bed (sucks) carry office/shop keys with me , company phone , company car(s) and we have a 24/7 emergency service , I also am responsible for alarms .

You are right restrictions are about the dumbest requirement to ever exist .

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    the part that I have never understood about this... as a business owner, it doesn't matter whether I am actually conducting business or not, what matters is if the bad guy THINKS I am conducting business/carrying cash, etc. this is 24x7 not 9x5. if someone knows I have my own business and can be carrying cash, I become a target regardless of what I have in my pocket/briefcase/etc.

I am a business owner, and went thru the 16 hours training, but did not apply because of the idiotic restrictions.

as someone stated above, when you own your own business, you own it 24x7.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I am plugged in 24/7 to my company , I sleep with my phone next to my bed (sucks) carry office/shop keys with me , company phone , company car(s) and we have a 24/7 emergency service , I also am responsible for alarms .

You are right restrictions are about the dumbest requirement to ever exist .

You could well carry for 30 years "ignoring" the restriction with no harm. The issue would emerge in the unfortunate event that you were forced to defend yourself. 3AM, Wendy's on Northern avenue. You have to convince a judge/jury you were working.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    You could well carry for 30 years "ignoring" the restriction with no harm. The issue would emerge in the unfortunate event that you were forced to defend yourself. 3AM, Wendy's on Northern avenue. You have to convince a judge/jury you were working.

I know countless business owners and one thing we all have in common is people in general and also family members talk business and ask questions about our business on all get together's .

It would be easy in most or all cases to prove , people see my marked company and personal cars/trucks and come up to me and ask me about welding .

Problem is with most things they want me to prove i am innocent , let them prove i am guilty .
    They would never win that battle , if it was a clean shoot or justifiable defense .

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    The good thing about the while conducting business language is it is not defined anywhere so really anything arguably can be included as nothing has been ruled out. What is the definition of business and conducting?

The bad thing is that the gov, if they are out to prove a point could claim that almost nothing is included and try to prove that.

Ambiguity is supposed to work against the gov't in criminal cases but that has not always been the case.

Seems it is left up to the individual to determine to some extent. The standard is likely what a reasonable person would consider conducting business.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....Problem is with most things they want me to prove i am innocent , let them prove i am guilty .....
    Actually, when you use violence in self defense and assault someone by any method, and use "self defense" in court, you have admitted to committing the crime and are defending your actions by circumstances.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Actually, when you use violence in self defense and assault someone by any method, and use "self defense" in court, you have admitted to committing the crime and are defending your actions by circumstances.

Out of context of what i said , I said or meant if the state said i had no reason to carry .
    Or in other words got pinched carrying when they said i should not have been .

I did not mean while defending myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom